Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.07_1 (5/2/2012)  (Read 13562 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.03_1 (DFA Successor)
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 02:29:20 am »

Posting to inform that the, as far as my testing goes, the version 0.34.03_1 of the mod should be compatible with the DF 0.34.04.

I'm still fleshing out the religion, which is coming out nicely already. I will upload the new version of the mod as soon as I get everything ready. In the meanwhile you can just use the old version of the mod.

EDIT:
I think I could reveal a bit of what I have been working with.

I decided to ditch the old rune system as it was way too complicated. Instead I replace it with tablet system. Bellow is basic steps you need to go with the new system:

- Create a empty tablet in crafting workshop using stone crafter
- Take the empty tablet to Temple of Armok and imbue the specific power in it. These reactions destroy the empty tablet and create new tablet for the specific purpose.
- Take the new powered tablet to either Temple or Transformation Chamber and do the reaction. The tablet is destroyed in the process.

So far the only reaction that doesn't require tablet is turning a normal dwarf to Holy Dwarf. Other reactions always require a right tablet. Currently there is two types of reactions and two types of tablets:

* Temple
   -> Turn metal to other metal (requires "tablet of alchemy")
* Chamber of Transformation
   -> Turn dwarf to Holy Dwarf (no tablet required)
   -> Turn male dwarf to female (tablet of gender)
   -> Turn female dwarf to male (tablet of gender)

So yeah, tablets will have generic class of usage so that we don't get flooded with dozens of different types of tablets. That was the original problem with rune system, it was damned hard to track down which rune was needed and how to produce it.

I will keep adding more reactions, currently working with metal transformations. The thing with metal transformations is that you will not benefit the transform if you can produce the new metal in smelter. For example, turning iron to steel requires six bars of iron while producing only one bar of steel. So yeah, these transformations are really ideal only if you are missing the certain materials to produce the metals in forges (flux and coal comes to my mind in case of steel).
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:40:10 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 09:37:00 am »

Looks good sofar! Unfortunately no time to play any games. Lot of work around at the moment. And as someone whom works Freelance I have to take all the work that comes!

W

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »

New version, 0.34.04_1, has been uploaded!

Here is the changelog:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The project with Religion is progressing slowly but steadily. I try to avoid any imbalances there as well as features that work only partially as I want. But yeah, it's not even close to be ready yet.

The nobility was also changed somewhat. Basically most of the positions which are available at the beginning now have a "upgraded" version similar to Sheriff -> Captain of Guard transition. All the second tier positions require bedroom, office and dining room and they can make mandates and demands.

This version also contains two new creatures; megabeasts Fire Hydra, which is basically normal hydra with the ability to breath fire, and Githyanki, a evil entity creature that is always hostile towards dwarves. Just note that Githyanki is not completely ready yet as they are missing special silver metal and special weapons. But otherwise they should work, at least I got them to survive through world gen.

Now that the new version is ready and uploaded it's time to get back To-Do -list. Here is a short list of things I'm going to add, in no specific order:

The above list is NOT a complete list of features, it's just a quick scratch on the surface. The items listed there are ones I'm currently 100% sure that I'm going to add. If all of them are possible, that is, there are few things I'm still unsure.

Also, as you can see, some of the creatures have a mention of certain D&D source books. In my opinion D&D offers lots of ideas for cretures, though most of them are more or less impossible to implement in DF as they appear in books. But as a source of inspiration those books are almost perfect.

Also, if somebody have an idea for the names of certain schools in Training feature I would be more than happy to hear suggestions. "School of Rock", "School of Wood" and "School of Metal" are basically the ones which need a new name. But until that those workshops go with those names.

ENJOY!

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

As you seem somewhat familer with DnD, I suggest that the varying genie races, like Efreet's, would make interesting semimegabeasts, along with, if your willing, Rakashas and Retrievers.

A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2012, 01:04:38 am »

Yes, the genies are something I would like to add but my experience with the new interaction system is still somewhat limited to do that just yet. But those are definitely in my list of considering. Same goes with Rakashas.

What I have been considering is that, if I put genies in the mod, I will make them entities. After all it would make interesting battle to fight against sieging group of Efreet. The trading possibilities are also interesting, perhaps there could be some special items only available for genies.

So, I guess I have to start learning the interaction system so that those creatures could be added. Should be interesting.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.04_2 (DFA Successor)
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 02:58:56 pm »

Version 0.34.04_2 has been uploaded!

This version brings lots of interesting changes and additions to the mod; the most notable change is that elves are now automatically aggressive towards dwarves and humans. As this means one caravan less per year the dwarves now arrive twice, during spring and autumn.

I also added one aggressive entity as well; gnolls. They aren't listed while choosing the embark location as they function similar to kobolds.

Another big change is related to food production. From now on seeds and alcohol can't be cooked. While this streamlines the food production as you don't have to keep track of all the alcohol inside the fortress to prevent those to be used in cooking this also limits the possibilities.

Final big addition in this version is the training. I decided to go with two new workshops, Training Dummy and University, of which Training Dummy is used for military training and University for everything else. Note that not all skills can be trained yet, I tried to include those skills which really depends on higher level. For example stone detailing is very important as engraving can be considered more or less final.

Besides the things mentioned above I added few new animals; bhederin, mammoth and pegasus. Githyanki also received own weapons which aren't available to anybody else.

Finally, there was one big bug which is now fixed. I noticed that certain noble positions were unavailable. These positions were manager, bookkeeper and broker. Now those are appointable again.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.05_1 (3/12/2012)
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 04:42:31 am »

New version is out!

This version contains support for the latest DF, 0.34.05.

Besides updating to the new version of DF I also did some fixing as well. All the fixes are related to the Religion -feature, which was more or less broken.

The most notable thing is that I had to remove the tablet -system for now. The reason behind this is that, for some reason, the game accepted any tool item for the reactions instead of looking for the specific tablet required. I tried to change the item type to toys but that didn't help, now the game accepted any toy available. So until I find the reason for this the tablets are removed and you can go straight to the reactions.

For those who like to run the game without temperature I also added a new reaction called "Destroy Cursed Stones". Now you don't have to worry about all the stone produced during the religion reactions, especially since I fixed the problem where cursed stones could be used in other things (crafting, construction etc.) as well. To fix that problem I had to create new material template for all the religion stones that are designed to turn gas immediately.

And here is the changelog:

So yes, as I had to remove the tablets from the game most of the fixes are currently meaningless. But when I solve the item problem those few things listed as fixed shouldn't bother us anymore.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 08:38:15 am »

Even if it has been only couple of hours since I released the previous version I can reveal that the next update could be considered as huge content update. Here is a quick list of what has been added so far;

• 3 new reactions for Religion
  • 4 new above ground plants
  • 2 new training reactions
  • 3 new creatures, one completely new and two imported from DFA
  • New caste for dwarves
  • 2 major changes to general gameplay

Right now I'm going through the DFA files and importing things from those. I'm also roaming through different fantasy books and sites for ideas, D&D books being one of the major sources.

I still haven't figured out the problem with tablets. As I stated before the reactions don't look for specific tablets, instead accepting any item of the same general type, in this case toys. Strange thing is that training reactions work like a charm so I'm quite confused what is causing this problem.

One big addition worth of special mention, even though I haven't completed it yet, is the new Elf entity. The current elf entity is considered to be group of savage, rebellious elves who shun any and everybody. The new elf entity, on the other hand, could be described as civilized elves who don't have any objection to use and trade wood. And they also have better armor and weapons due the fact that they use metals as well. And no, these new elves aren't aggressive towards dwarves.

On a side note, I'm very anxiously waiting for the next release of vanilla DF. All those old bugs gets finally fixed, especially the training and pet system.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 05:20:29 am »

I have been testing out the unreleased version for two days. Most things look like they ware working as intended though few things must be changed/tweaked before I will release it;

* Stones can be cut by jewelers
* Pigtails have too fast growing duration
* Dwarves arrive only with caps and mittens.

The stone thing is bug, haven't figured out yet what is causing it but my suspect is that it's related to new templates I added at some point.

Tuning the grow rate of pigtails is more or less minor tweak. Currently 10*10 farm can flood the fortress with pigtail cloth in one year. So I'm going to give those longer growing duration

The clothing problem is caused by the addition I made to the unreleased version which basically turned all cloths to armor by giving those a level of armor. This addition was to forcefix the rotting cloth problem but, as Toady has already fixed that bug, this feature can and will be discarded.

Still haven't figured out the tablet problem, I think I will focus my efforts to that once I have released the 0.34.05_2 version, which should happen either today or tomorrow.

Current list of features added by the new version:

• 4 new above ground plants
  • 3 new creatures
  • 3 new entities
  • 2 new training reactions
  • Brute caste for dwarves
  • 3 new religion reactions
  • 2 new workshop (Furniture Workshop and Crematory)
  • 2 new reactions for crematory
  • 8 new reactions for Furniture Workshop
  • Bone Meal -mineral (Flux, produced in Crematory)
  • Siege entities don't have clothes, only armor
  • Fixed missing Block Factory
  • Fix for Stone Cutting -problem (?)
  • Tweaked growing duration for Pigtails

I will also launch a website in tandem with the releasing of the new version. The website is currently under construction. What I intend to put there is, for example, the crude manual of different features as well as more detailed explanations of each one of those. I will also remove the old release logs from this thread and move them to website, leaving only the change log of the latest version of the mod.

Stay tuned!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.05_2 (3/12/2012)
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 04:43:28 am »

As I promised yesterday, the new version (0.34.05_2) has been released!

This time there are lots of content that was added. The list in previous post is still the same though two of the three bugs has been fixed. The bug of rock being used in gem cutting is actually a bug in vanilla DF and thus there is nothing I can do about it.

And, just like I promised, the official website has also been launched! You can find it here.
I had some problem with getting the list indention to work so I had to slightly reformat the feature list and release notes. There is also a limit of ten pages for free membership so I wasn't able to divide all the features to different pages basing on the type. I'm considering to upgrading to premium membership at some point but not right now.

Finally, here is the changelog:

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.05_2 (3/15/2012)
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:09:41 am »

It has been few days since I released the 0.34.05_2 version of the mod. Since then I have added following changes:
  • Fixed the Silphium problem which caused disease resistance to drop instead of raising
  • Fixed the tablets and those are back in.
  • Included the "Black Lung" feature.
  • Two new creatures: Cryo Hydra and Black Bee

Last two days I have been working on the balancing of the entities. This includes reallocating of all attributes, entity specific items (weapons/tools/armor/toys etc.), for some entities special materials (Githyanki Silver) and lots of other things. I will also try to add syndrome to entity meat, which will not kill the dwarves but cause severe complications.

After I have finished up with entity rebalancing I will expand the tablet system more to cover training as well. That means tablets are going to be dwarven equivalent of books.

Any ideas and suggestions, especially regarding the entities, would be appreciated.

Oh, and since I believe the next version of DF is very near, since 0.34.01 longer than one day of silence from Toady has meant new release, I will not upload the new version of the mod before 0.34.06 is out and I have updated my mod to it. That is if I'm not mistaken.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:32:49 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 05:52:59 am »

All physical and mental attributes have finally been redistributed. What I did was to put all the entities in order for each attribute, calculated the numbers for weakest entity basing on the attributes dwarves and the calculated all the numbers for every other entities by multiplying the values of the first weaker creature with certain multiplier.

For example, Strength attribute;
Dwarves have lowest attribute range for Strength 450. They were third strongest entity of all ten entities while kobolds are weakest. This resulted number 72 for kobolds by using the formula x/y^z, where x = number dwarves have, y is the multiplier and z is the "rank" of dwarves minus one. The multiplier is 1,3 for strength calculations, which resulted formula 450/(1,3^7) = 72, rounded by closest integer.

This formula was applied to all attribute ranges for all attributes, where x is always the default value dwarves have, x changing depending on the attribute and y changing depending on the position of dwarves in the order list.

After I calculated all the values I made some minor tweaks, like changing all values over 5000 to 5000 as it's the maximum the game allows, as well as other minor tweaks.

I know this system most probably is still unbalanced but at least it's easier to tweak it after some play testing.

Next I will turn my attention to the size values of all the entities. Here I will use the average height for dwarves in feets, calculate the difference relative differences for other creatures and then use that value to calculate the new size values. For now I decided to exclude all the vanilla entities from these calculations and fellhumans plus vikings will use the same values as humans, so the only creatures affected are gnolls, cavemen and githyanki.

After all these calculations are done I will move to items.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:19 am »

All the changes to creatures themselves have been done as well as some extensive testing. Here are the results:

First of all I wanted to know how well the entities survive from world generation; first two test gens with pocket world and 125 years of history resulted humans, elves and goblins being wiped out. When I changed the settings to medium world and short history (5 years) all of them survived as well as with 100 years of history. I think the problem is with pocket worlds, there is just not enough space to allow the entities to spread out a bit before the conflicts and thus all three entities, being weaker, gets wiped out.

Next I ran some testing battles in arena mode. All tests were repeated five times to confirm the results.

First set of battles:
  • Ten dwarves with iron gear and axe
  • Ten githyanki with iron gear and axe
In each fight team b, which is the group of githyanki, won. In four cases one githyanki was wounded, though each time it was just minor yellow wound in arm or leg. In last case there were no injuries in winning side

Second set of battles:
  • Ten fallen humans with iron gear and axe
  • Ten githyanki with iron gear and axe
These fights were more interesting. First of all the battles took much longer than in first set of battles. Each five battles were won by fallen humans, though three times there were one dead fallen human and rest of the group were more or less injured. Last two fights saw no deaths in winning side though again all of them were injured.

Third set of battles:
  • Cryo Hydra
  • Five dwarves with iron gear and axe
As expected the hydra won. It required only one blast of the cryo vapor to kill the dwarves. The only interesting thing was that the hydra was also injured by the blast, the whole body turned yellow. BUT, after I pitted some minor creatures against the "wounded" hydra, no parts of the body went beyond yellow so I think this is only minor problem and doesn't require fixing.

Now that I have ran some preliminary tests it's finally time to move on items. After I have finished that I will give Githyanki the special silver, after which I will do some test runs again.

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem (DFA Successor)
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 04:34:25 pm »

- Rocks can be used in jewelry. This is a bug with vanilla DF, not with the mod.

Thats not a Vanilla DF bug nor this mod bug. Rock "gems" have different cuts than real gems.
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

jackbod

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:KOBOLD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:48 am »

I have an idea/suggestion for a stealthy type creature
Like a pale blue leathery skinned cheetah in base body and size, it has hard chttinous fins (they dont move there like a sheild attached to him all over his body) placed on parts of its body making its genral structure much more streamlined where the head of the cheetah would be there isnt there is a large snapping mouth with needle like teeth, they have long powerful tales with large spikes of chitin at the end they have long razor shrp nails that can rip out organs and lop of limbs, they have streamlined bodies that moves delicately through the wind with great speed and stealth they have two powers, stealth-They go into sneak mode even when they can be seen 30 recharge and leap- they dive into there target and can go up or down a z level if they crash into an enemy ussually dealing decent damage and knocking the opponent down 10 recharge- And yes they are very badass
One often meets his own destiny on the path he takes to avoid it
Pages: 1 [2] 3