Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.07_1 (5/2/2012)  (Read 13555 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.07_1 (5/2/2012)
« on: February 16, 2012, 09:28:58 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem
Successor of Dwarf Fortress Advanced

Current Version: 0.34.07_1
Download here (requires DF 0.34.07)

Some time ago I promised myself that I would return to Dwarf Fortress Advanced (DFA) when the new version is out. Now that DF 0.34.01, also known as DFVD, is out it's time to keep that promise.

The problem is that the original DFA is very messy and updating it to new version would be a pain. Basically it would require complete rewrite and so the idea came:
Instead of trying to figure out how to get everything to work in new version I discard the DFA and start a successor mod.

What this means is that all the original ideas are put in a pot, gets stirred and then I see which one I keep and which I don't. Lots of new features will be added and some of the original ones will change. Mostly all the basic ideas will stay, like castes, religion and so on. How I'm going to implement those is another matter.

Currently there is no version available as I'm just starting to work with this. What I ask all of you to check the old DFA mod and tell me which basic components should stay and which should not.

What is Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem?

Total Mayhem is a successor of old Dwarf Fortress Advanced -mod. As the predecessor the idea is expand the vanilla game with lots of new features, objects, materials and creatures. Unlike DFA I'm not planning to add graphics to it, keeping those updated would be a pain, which I learned back in the old mod.

There will be things borrowed from other mods. If you see a feature that has been borrowed but the name of original author is not mentioned in credits please tell me. If you see something you made up and don't want to see it in this mod also notify me and I will remove it. I try to always ask from original author before borrowing. The only exception may be things that already were in DFA, all of those had permission already, at least as far as I remember.

How do I install this mod?

It's pretty simple: download the file and unpack it. Copy the folder called "raw", which can be found inside the unpacked folder, to DF/data/ f folder, where "DF" means the location of the main executable of game, and when your computer asks if the files should be replaced answer yes for each file. Now you are ready to generate a new world!

I have an idea which I want to see in this mod!

That is great! Just post at least a short summary of it (more detailed the better) and I will take it on consideration. If I end up adding the feature I will mention you in the credits.

Does it work in x.xx.xx version of DF?

The earliest supported version of DF is 0.34.01. Each upload of the mod will mention the version of the game it is meant to, earlier versions are not officially supported.

I want to add you mod / part of your mod to my own. Is it okay?

A rule of thumb is that I will always give a permission if it's asked. The only thing I want is that I get a mention in credits as well as the original authors of each borrowed feature in my mod. So if you add whole Total Mayhem -mod to your own mod then you must also mention the whole credit list of my mod as well as me in your credits.

As long as the above rule is followed I have nothing against others borrowing my mod or parts of it. Heck, DFA begun as a project of compiling several other mods in one big mod in the first place!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:43:11 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem (DFA Successor)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 09:29:18 am »

Released Features:

For complete list of all features see the official website!

Currently Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem contains following features:
  • Religion
  • Two new castes
  • Several new noble positions
  • Several changes to original Dwarf Entityt
  • Four new plants
  • Five new sieging entities
  • Sixteen new creatures
  • Skill Training
  • New furniture production possibilities
  • Crematory to handle remains and bones
  • Block Factory
  • Display Cases
  • Four new ores
  • Item Overhaul
  • Entity creature overhaul
  • Four new armors
  • Lots of other tweaks and changes

Latest Changes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Known problems:
- Game crashes when trying to view the z-screen of a dwarf that was transformed to vargouille.
- Rocks can be used in jewelry. This is a bug with vanilla DF, not with the mod.

Credits:

Kaypy - Creator of the original Display Case -mod
Funk - Padded armors
Old Greg - Silphium plant
Deon - Training Dummy, Furniture Workshop and Finnish language were taken from Genesis
Lofn - Gave the idea for cursed stones back in Dwarf Fortress Advanced, feature that still exists in Total Mayhem
Rochndil - Bone Meal Flux, which was taken from Metals And Minerals Overhaul
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:45:41 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:30:05 am »

RESERVED 2

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »

Okay, the first version has been uploaded and can be found here.

This first version contains only some minor things which were easier to implement as I wanted to get used to modding again. Gradually I will move to more complex things like training, religion  and finally new entities. I will also add completely new features not present in DFA which became possible with the DFVD.

Now that I have begun the developing and the first version has been released I was considering of discarding the whole caste system we had in DFA. It was unbalanced and didn't work properly. I believe there should be better and more effective ways to achieve the same as what the castes did. Perhaps later those will be added but currently no.

And finally. the changelog:

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.01_1(DFA Successor)
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:20:05 pm »

Padded armor
why broken ribs hurt thats why.
and it was commen in RL

code (from 31.25)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »

Padded armor
why broken ribs hurt thats why.
and it was commen in RL

code (from 31.25)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Just to be sure, those raws are made by you, right?

After some consideration I have, as I stated earlier, decided to get rid of the old caste system. But I already have a plan how to replace it and make it more interesting and easier to balance:

The current idea I have is to keep the two vanilla castes (male and female). Next I will create a new caste and name it "Holy". The difference to DFA is that this castes is
A) Very rare, something like one dwarf for 150 dwarves or such
B) Neuter in gender and thus can't marry or have children (possible?)

To become a Holy a dwarf belonging to vanilla caste must perform specific reaction in specific workshop. With using the new interaction system the dwarf may turn into Holy, but there is also possibility to things go terribly wrong, like turning the dwarf in question undead. The specific details are still undecided. Now, if a dwarf turns Holy then it can perform the reactions belonging to Religion feature. Here I most probably use something similar I had with DFA with a mix of new interaction system. I'm still somewhat unsure what kind of things are possible here but I think the list is much bigger than in DFA. There is also some special abilities I'm considering to give to Holy dwarf.

So this is what I'm currently working on. I will also continue to add some basic things I had in DFA which aren't related to bigger features.

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 01:40:19 pm »

Neuter dwarves are possible.  I had such things in my Dwarven Hive mod; just don't assign a gender to the caste.

If it can be done, how about castes that can't occur naturally, but which a dwarf can be transformed into via a reaction / potion?  I like the idea of taking otherwise-useless dwarves and giving them a potion to make them 'hulk out' and become expendable shock troops.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »

If it can be done, how about castes that can't occur naturally, but which a dwarf can be transformed into via a reaction / potion?  I like the idea of taking otherwise-useless dwarves and giving them a potion to make them 'hulk out' and become expendable shock troops.

That was my original idea but then I thought; if dwarves were able to transform themselves why didn't they do it before the fortress? Especially if the transformation brings enough good things to compensate the bad things?

Now, not sure how possible the caste which doesn't occur is, but one possibility to get close enough is to make the change of such dwarf appearing so low it basically doesn't happen, like one in five million. That is possible.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:02 pm »

yes that is my code.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:02 pm »

There's possibilities.

Perhaps the downsides are outweighed only in the short term?  E.g. Brute caste only lives for a couple of years at best but even a small corps of Brutes, converted from a group of volunteers, has a great chance of saving the fortress in a pinch.   

Or a dwarven Dystopia.  "You're suitable only for hauling so we're turning you into a drone.  Sorry about the whole self-awareness thing, but it's for the Greater Good."

Also, the changes can be temporary.  Make a very, very expensive potion that turns the dwarf into SuperUrist McKryptonian for a month?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 03:46:05 pm by Talanic »
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

waerth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:48 pm »

Block factory! :D

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:20 am »

Block factory! :D

Yeah, even though it's not the most beautiful feature in the mod in terms of how it's implemented I admit it's one of those features I miss while playing with vanilla DF...

Okay, so anybody has a clue how to tie the new interactions to workshops? Does it work as before, like creating a instantly vaporizing stone in reaction which spreads the syndrome, or is the better way to do it?

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.01_1 (DFA Successor)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:50:42 am »

My plans are to get the new version of the mod out today or tomorrow. Here is what I have done so far:

Code: [Select]
Tweaks:
- Underground plants available every season.

New Items:
- Armor
   * Padded shirt  (Dwarf + Human)
   * Padded hood  (Dwarf + Human)
   * Padded mittens  (Dwarf + Human)
   * Padded leggings  (Dwarf + Human)

New Workshops:
- Block Factory

Nobility Overhaul
- Executioner
   * Appointed by Expedition Leader
   * Requires bedroom
   * Responsibility: Executions
- Hammerer
   * Replaces Executioner
   * Requires office, dining room, bedroom
   * Appointed by Mayor

Caste Overhaul
- New castes
   * Holy Dwarf
      -> Gender: neuter
      -> Very rare, 1:2000 to appear
      -> Physically very weak
      -> Can not learn any profession except Alchemy
      -> Shorter lifespan
      -> Normal Dwarf can be turned in Temple

Religion
- New materials
   * Holy Stone
      -> Used to turn dwarves to Holy dwarves
- New Workshops
   * Temple of Armok
- New Reactions
   * Turn Holy Dwarf (Temple of Armok)
      -> Turns normal dwarf to Holy dwarf

Before I will release the new version I need to add few things to religion, mostly to make it actually useful. Now that I understand the new interaction/syndrome system better I must say the options are almost limitless; actually creating golems, gender changes, buffing soldiers and other fun things.

By the way, remember the vargouille -creature from Dwarf Fortress Advanced? Apparently I must make it to return in Total Mayhem as well, there is just no way I'm going to pass up the opportunity to include a creature that can turn victims to flying heads, especially since the basic creature is ready and I can concentrate the transforming syndrome instead. Also, it seems that I can finally include exploding Vortex -creatures. Yes, if you have played ADOM you know what I'm talking about... :D

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.02_1 (DFA Successor)
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:52 am »

Version 0.34.02_1 has been uploaded!

Here is the changelog:

Currently the religion is still in early stages, you can so far only convert dwarves to holy dwarves as well as change the gender. More features will be added in near future.

Just a note that vargouille is still a bit buggy; when the dwarf gets infected and transforms to new vargouille the game crashes if you try to view the z-screen of the transformed creature. You can avoid this just by not trying to check the screen. There is also a high tendency that the dwarf (or other creature) who was transformed dies almost immediately. It's still possible that it manages to spread the infection before doing so.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: Total Mayhem v. 0.34.03_1 (DFA Successor)
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 03:19:40 pm »

Version 0.34.03_1 has been uploaded!

This is just a upgrade release for DF 0.34.03, nothing new is available in this version.

I also deleted all the files I haven't edited/added from the package. It makes the package a bit smaller and a lot easier to update when new version of DF is released as I don't have to track down which files I have edited anymore.

Now that the quick upgrade has been done I can continue my work with religion and new creatures.

Pages: [1] 2 3