Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Version FPS issues  (Read 674 times)

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Version FPS issues
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:35 am »

Hey all, not sure if has been asked, but is anyone having trouble with FPS in the new version?

I ask because in my First new version fort, my FPS is maxed out at 50-75; With only 7 dwarves, 4 mosquito women and two cats on the map, i find this reaaaly weird. Especialy since pre-2012, i was having forts with over 50 dwarves running at 180FPS no problem.

Although, i do have a idea on why; upon embark, i got a collapsed cave message and five "Hungry skulls" are showing up on the Dead/Missing menu. Could a collapsed cave be causing problems?

EDIT: Also, embarked in cold terrifying biome, Where it is currently snowing frozen dwarf blood. (eew)

EDIT 2: Make that 6 dead Hungry heads and a Dead Trog.

EDIT 3: Make that only 6 dwarves and one cat. Stupid Aquifer.

EDIT 4: Okay, now theres a bunch of dead heads and a Jabberer. Whatever that is.

EDIT 5: No cats, 5 dwarves. I need to learn to Aquifer breach better.

FPS has inproved to about 70 on average, but still.

**First Fortress abandoned, second emarked**

Exact same issues. collapsed cave, fps lag, raining dwarf blood.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:45:53 am by JimmyBobJr »
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: New Version FPS issues
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:43:05 am »

No problem here, I think this is the 2nd or the third post about lag in 2012. Try re-downloading the game.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:58 am »

It's raining frozen dwarf blood? Holy shit that's awesome.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 11:03:57 am »

Reclaim or redownload DF, there's a bug that's basically causing massive cave ins everywhere. Kills FPS.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:45 am »

A collapse on embark can cause a lot of problems...some of which are spoilerific. Suffice it to say that a collapse on embark can cause significant lag...one reason is that magma or water may start flowing and possibly never stop, and the flow calculations are expensive.

If you're getting consistent collapse-on-embark wherever you embark, I've heard that can happen if world gen messes up and you get a corrupted world. It's said to be fairly rare, and to not have anything to do with your world gen parameters or seed, so that if you extract the world gen parameters and re-import them, you should be able to gen the non-corrupted version of the same world without weird collapse-on-embark bugs. Corrupted worlds sometimes have massive skylines (like 1,000 z-levels of sky, instead of the small number they're supposed to have), massive spikes of adamantine, magma in strange places...yours doesn't sound weird enough that I'm sure that's the problem, but it's a possibility.

Of course, there could still be some site-specific collapse-on-embark bugs going around, like the ones that Toady was working on fixing not long before release, but if you try a bunch of different locations and consistently get a collapse, it's time to gen a new world.

Re-downloading the game might also be a good idea, in case the corrupted world gen could be due to a corrupted download of df, but it also happens with fully correct copies of df sometimes, from what I've heard.

JimmyBobJr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:36:53 pm »

Cheers guys, a redownload and re-gen fixed the problem. im now running at a max of 300 fps.

It would be handy if DF hack was updated so i could DFreveal to see what was going on, but ah well.
Where is the chemistry
They tried chemistry once.
It created soap.
Dwarves lost interest in chemistry after that.