Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What do you love / hate about DF .34 so far?  (Read 11982 times)

Sabre of Pain

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: What do you love / hate about DF .34 so far?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2012, 09:50:51 am »

I hate hate HATE this new world generation, holy crud this takes FOREVER, last version I could make a 700 year medium world in a half hour or less, now I can hardly get past 350 in an hour, and its taking progressively longer per year.

its now going at like 2 minutes per year D: hasnt even hit 400 yet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 10:02:10 am by Sabre of Pain »
its so very cold up here in canada... or maybe thats just because i'm naked.

walkwithoutrhythm

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Spice]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 09:53:08 am »

Things I love: how the new update has gotten me playing again

Things I hate: how I can't seem to be able to embark in anything other than a terrifying biome

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:33 am »

Yeah, I'm loving multi-z designations. I was designating trees as usual, one level at a time, then realised I could just select ALL the trees. Suddenly woodcutting on a hilly embark is a lot less fiddly.

daneel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 10:05:16 am »

Love the unit screen and the bug fixes.

Hate the fact that I can't undesignate a dug out square that a dwarf has already decided to start digging. I change my mind a lot when designating so that causes problems.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:40 am »

Yeah, I'm loving multi-z designations. I was designating trees as usual, one level at a time, then realised I could just select ALL the trees. Suddenly woodcutting on a hilly embark is a lot less fiddly.
Oh yes good one.

Digging to magma is sooooo much nicer now too. Hitting shift-. then redoing the dig like, 100 times, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 10:21:10 am »

Straight digging was always easy.  Hold click and hold > and you'll dig a straight line down.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 10:32:49 am »

Straight digging was always easy.  Hold click and hold > and you'll dig a straight line down.
I like to dig 3x3 Up/Down Stairs.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:13 am »

Didn't know about that trick, but yeah. I like 3x3 or even 5x5 stairs. PITA regardless before.

Now we need multiple z-level rooms, and bigger rooms in general. Multiple z-level dining rooms, hospitals etc would be pretty useful especially if you care about aesthetics. Store the hospital goods downstairs etc...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:28 am »

I love the fact that evil biomes have teeth, I hate the fact that adventure mode is nearly unplayable due to the frequency and severity of ambushes.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 10:46:06 am »

Dwarf Fortress Valentine's Day

Oh, so it does have to do with what I thought. :D

DF2012 = muchos better. Does anyone know what causes the giant swarms btw? I'm trying to fix it but dunno how.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 10:48:35 am »

DF2012 = muchos better. Does anyone know what causes the giant swarms btw? I'm trying to fix it but dunno how.
If you mean the mosquitos, there's a thread on the modding forum. A missing tag is all.

AranC23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:26 am »

Until now I hadn't understood the implications of multi-z designations.  Now I'm going to designate my entire map for deforestation so I can make wooden hankies for the elves to cry in.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 10:54:06 am »

If you mean the mosquitos, there's a thread on the modding forum. A missing tag is all.

Yeah, I am. Thanks, I'll check it out. I had completely forgotten there's a modding subforum around here. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 11:18:08 am »

I can't play without prospector, the idea of embarking and receiving zero useful minerals/stones at all is just nuts. The game should include more detailed info until/unless Toady makes various minerals more useful. Also need clean/cleanowned etc later on to help the lag.

Also really miss runesmith/dwarf guidance, saves me a lot of time of looking up what suits what dorf..

I know what you mean, i play with scarce minerals because it feels more "roleplay" and i like a challenge, but i have to constantly re-embark, or use dfhack to prospect the moment i arrive, in order to save time. Playing the first 5 minutes of a fort 100 times in a row can get annoying ><

Although once i tried to survive an embark with nothing but leather, wood and candy... didn't quite make it to the candy part.

A thought, however, i've seen in older versions (i think) that the embark screen used to give you a readout of the actual stones and minerals. Is this no longer around in any way/shape/form? Is it maybe a setting in advanced world gen parameters?

I'm not playing right now but if you have more motivation than me you might want to look into that. And then let me know what you find out. :)

Edit: Also, try turning clothing off (add "[ARMORLEVEL:1]" to all the clothing items in the raw/objects folder, there's only about 20ish all up in 5 seperate files, didn't take me that long), you can still make clothes, but dwarves won't wear or claim then anymore so no more clutter, and it boosts your FPS by a pretty decent amount - more info on the bug thread http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2481
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 11:22:54 am by schismatise »

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:32 am »

Shitloads of children coming with migrants. Commonly these are just couples with 4+ of them.
No, I cannot wait until they grow up.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4