Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bogeymen Strategies.  (Read 790 times)

Alexwarhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bogeymen Strategies.
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:00:10 am »

Hey , so whenever I end up against Bogeymen I don't normally have a problem just running from them, but you would expect there to be a way to kill them consistently. The only way I have found that lets you run and fight is being a lasher , while running lashing the bogeymen closest to you so that they will fall over from pain and you don't have to fight his friends , but lashing is pretty bad for killing people and this only really helps with slowing them down.

Does anyone have any builds or tactics against bogeymen? They are too agile to be taken out with powerful weapons , and too strong to be killed with quick weapons.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:03:24 am by Alexwarhammer »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen Stratagies.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:46 am »

High strength High agility, train up your guy to at least Great swordsman ( best to get a good sword if you start with a silver one ) with good dodging skill.  Also, train up your wrestling to grand master level, wrestling isn't actually useful against them, but it's a fast way of increasing your base speed.  GET A HELMET.  A chestplate too, that's good. 

As for tactics, I'd say just run around ( make sure you've done the above paragraph ) and you should be fast enough and skilled enough to make the Easy shots.  You'll probably miss even the normal hits, so just keep waiting for an opportunity. 

Always aim for either the lower body or extremities.  Bogeymen are small, like Gremlins ( from the movies, not DF ) and having an arm or leg cut off has a decent chance of killing them. 

With the new version, it's somewhat easy to train swords skill on zombies.  So, yeah, I've dispensed my wisdom. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 08:09:50 am »

^
This is pretty solid advice but I'd expand on it.

Mining picks are bad ass. Forget swords or starting characters with weapon skills.

I've had pretty decent luck using a mining pick and targeting the Bogeyman's foot. They don't feel pain, but they can't chase after you when their foot has sailed off into the bushes either. Hitting any 'easy' part is sometimes enough to kill one or at least mess them up sufficiently so they can't all gang up on you.

Alexwarhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:17:56 am »

^
This is pretty solid advice but I'd expand on it.

Mining picks are bad ass. Forget swords or starting characters with weapon skills.

I've had pretty decent luck using a mining pick and targeting the Bogeyman's foot. They don't feel pain, but they can't chase after you when their foot has sailed off into the bushes either. Hitting any 'easy' part is sometimes enough to kill one or at least mess them up sufficiently so they can't all gang up on you.

Would it be worth just dumping weapons skills and just upping fighter skill? I remember I used to do that , and it worked really well , the only problem was that you start with that rubbish copper spear but once you get a good weapon you can fight better with it than if you started off with that skill. Is it still like that?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Bogeymen Strategies.
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:22:15 am »

Take them on 1 by 1. If you're surrounded, move in the direction of the fewest bogeymen, best case scenario, you break out the circle, worst case scenario all the bogeymen don't attack you at the same time.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:42:41 am »

Would it be worth just dumping weapons skills and just upping fighter skill? I remember I used to do that , and it worked really well , the only problem was that you start with that rubbish copper spear but once you get a good weapon you can fight better with it than if you started off with that skill. Is it still like that?
Fighter skill is of questionable value and it levels pretty quickly once you start fighting regularly.

I'd put points into kinesthetic sense, dodge and perhaps shield or armor user. Defense is more important early in the game. Kinesthetic sense, I believe can be leveled by knapping, which is grindy but it's a useful attribute.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Re: Bogeymen Strategies.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:48:10 am »

I set charge and charge the nearest one, knocking him over. I then hit him maybe one in the head, and retreat, using trees as cover to allow me to Sneak. I then pick on the ones furthest away from everyone else, relying on forcing them back with a charge. Eventually you'll get a good few kills.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.