Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (31.25)Well over salty aquifer in glacier biome doesn't work  (Read 972 times)

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(31.25)Well over salty aquifer in glacier biome doesn't work
« on: February 16, 2012, 06:54:09 am »

So I was watching a video of someone playing DF who embarked on a freezing glacier.  They dug down to the aquifer and channeled a few squares out, salty water, then built a well.  When his dwarves got thirsty they went to the well but were unable to drink, seemingly stuck in a loop.  I decided to start a game myself and test this.  I first embarked on I think it was a temperate badlands biome with a saltwater aquifer.  Channeled out a few squares, built a well, and my dwarves could drink from it just fine.  Then I embarked on a freezing glacier like the person in the video I watched, channeled the aquifer, built a well, had the same problem I saw.  My dwarves went over to it but couldn't drink from it.  Anyone else test or experience this?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: (31.25)Well over salty aquifer in glacier biome doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:01 am »

Well there was some water science done, and it technically should work. Screen caps?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:12:15 am »

I suspect the water is freezing in the bucket on the way back up.  The dwarf drops the bucket into the water, filling it, then starts to raise it.  The water in the bucket freezes, at which point the dwarf then lowers it again to get more water.  Repeat forever.

Can you inspect the building and see what the bucket contains?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »

I suspect the water is freezing in the bucket on the way back up.  The dwarf drops the bucket into the water, filling it, then starts to raise it.  The water in the bucket freezes, at which point the dwarf then lowers it again to get more water.  Repeat forever.

Can you inspect the building and see what the bucket contains?

I think I tried to inspect the bucket but couldn't, I could only inspect the overall well.  I'll reload the save and check again though.  Your explanation sounds like a good one but I thought the underground tiles in a freezing biome aren't cold, otherwise there would be no shelter from freezing.  Liquid water underground stays liquid.  The wiki says underground tiles stay at a constant temp of...well the wiki is down at the moment I'm typing this and I can't remember the exact temp, but not freezing is the point.

Slythe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:44:29 pm »

Okay I just reloaded my save and hit 't' over the well which listed its constituent parts, then selected the bucket and hit enter to view its contents and it indeed said "ice laced with salt", so the water does freeze in the bucket.