Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!  (Read 104434 times)

Orinn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Your Dwarf Fortress anecdote - Illustrated!
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2012, 05:26:48 pm »

This was years ago and in one of my first, and still my favorite Dwarf Fortress
This even is what I consider the end of the fort, as there was nothing more to do.

the Dragon sarvesh Nelasotil Lumul Stettad, has come!

This is my first dragon, he is red I order all my defenses to work, which consists of my 4 marksdwarfs, and my 5 champions, one has a broken arm another a punctured lung. I ordered the bridges pulled up, the dwarves to stay indoors.

It occurs to me I should of built a safe room, a room with thick walls made of steel on all sides, with some beds and food, and a fail safe switch that collapse the entrance. Put some picks in there and the people can dig themselves out later, after the threat had passed.

The siege operator is ordered to man the ballista staring down my main entrence. Maybe we can stun the dragon ontop of the cage traps and capture it. Maybe wood cages cant hold fire breathing dragons. I read somwhere they cant fly, yet. But the creator said they will fly evnetually and do so while breathing fire down on you, as a dragon should. Problem is did I read this in an old article or a current one? Do the dragons fly, do my 3 atriums of sunlight, 2 of which lead 10 stories down to the living quarters level leave a opening to the heart of my base?

I am reassured by the fact that all my royal guards and castle gaurds have become champons themselves. They will be a good last line of defense. All the while I noticed some stupid child has managed to fall into one of my wells, so I order the levers thrown that will empty the water so that he has a chance to live, to see a dragon consume his family.

All of this is done while paused, all the orders sent. Now I wait. I unpause the game and the Dragon stands there not moving from the edge of the map. The marks dwarves take up position in the tower. Gaurds are moving about. As usual Kratos disobeys orders and takes patrol outside the castle (stupid brain damage). Still no movement from the dragon. No other gaurds have taken up a position outside. Only Kratos.

The dragon has begun his approach. On the ground, it seems he does not know hot to fly. I wonder how wrestlers fair against dragons. The dragon heads straight for the entrence, before he is even within range of the archers, Kratos heads straight for him, alone. None of her squad has shown up yet. A fitting end for such a fearsome killing machine. Killed by dragon, with 88 kills under her belt. She has two platinum chest in her tomb. This was before I learned that in all my minning I have only found 6 platinum nuggest and next to adamantum it is the most precious and rare metal in the game. So I am ready for her death, and even the destruction of the entire castle. Before Kratos gets in range the archers open fire. The dragon is just outside my moat on the paved road. As Kratos is headed in the dragon breathes fire. This is not a 1 square effect. it is a cone effect that shoots out more then half dozen tiles in front of it, igniting anything that can burn. I wait for the smoke to clear. I see that a 10x4 section of solid stone road has been melted into nothing. I see a pile of ash where Kratos was standing. I then see the dragon get hit. Kratos dodged the fire, all of it, she has no damage, and under the smoke she moved in for the attack. The dragon gets enraged. Kratos's name is flashing in red and yellow (no idea what that means)
She has knocked the dragon out of range of the archers. It is her and the dragon.

A second later the dragon is stunned, in pain, it's liver, nose, stomach, upper and lower spine have all taken major damage. The fire from what is still burning has created smoke and I can not see the fight below.

The dragon is unconciuos, and Kratos is on fire running away. The flashing red and yellow name meant she was on fire, that she was tearing apart that dragon while burning. She is showing damage to her entire body, the list just goes on and on.

She is running toward the entrence. I wish she would throw herself int the moat I could save her from drowning, not much I can do about fire.

Kratos Kubukthak Gingfotthor, god of war, has bled to death.
moments later Sarvesh the dragon dies in a pile of blood and vomit from the injuries Kratos inflicted.

Here Lies Kratos, God of war, 88 Kills, and 1 Dragon

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2012, 05:10:45 am »

LOL - dwarfy!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »

I, by no means, am what you'd call an "experienced" DF player. I've been around, and had a few fortresses survive for a good, long time, and nearly become self-sufficient. As undwarven as it sounds, I never played with a "magma release" or any of the other fun magma-y goodness, but one particular fort had become quite, well, legendary. Sitting between two large cliff sides, this fort was legendary- for someone of my caliber. It was self-sufficient, and well protected. Given a few more years, it could have been a grand and legendary fortress.

A certain forgotten beast had other plans.

It all started when I began an expansive mining project that was simply labeled "catacombs." The layout of the entire operation was like a maze, 3-square wide hallways that were soon littered with traps. It had been too long since I had hit a cavern, having only seen one after many, many levels of digging.  Some said my beard sense had been tingling.

I had been right. The "project catacombs" ended with an abrupt fall 5 Z-levels onto hard ground. The three miners who had been digging had been reduced to two, as the first to break into the cavern broke both legs on impact. The other dwarves scurried away, as a message appeared... A Forgotten beast had reared it's ugly head, looking for blood. It was a one-humped camel creature, made from microcline.

I had forgotten to tell my dwarves to cancel the rest of Catacombs until it was too late.  Seeing as the creature had no wings, it wouldn't have been able to get inside... until my dwarves made a staircase to ground floor. I noticed that they had continued when the second Forgotten Beast showed up, in a different cavern little more than a few squares away. This one was a winged gecko of granite.

Both beasts began their charge through the catacombs. Trap after trap was proven useless, as these monstrosities managed to twist their way straight to my fortresses main floor.

My army had been stationed along with a hastily built Ballista. Behind that was a single lever. I had already assembled a last stand, and everyone else was either locked in their room or in the statue garden. The fight started with every crossbow in my army firing, to little avail. The beasts were just too strong. They charged up into the front lines, the gecko all the wile randomly spewing toxic gases. The camel was content to spit globs of death from a slight distance.

The army rushed in, and the ranged units gave it their all. The combined syndromes, however, soon brought a stop to my entire offensive- the mixed poisons had caused a slew of effects, from paralysis to unconsciousness to severe necrosis. As my army lay dying, I commanded the last man, the Ballista operator, to pull the switch.

Five iron floodgates and an artifact slate floodgate opened, spewing water from their maw, washing away the toxic feild, all the accumulated gore, a few still breathing dwarves, and the wingless camel. The camel fought the current and came back up, the water depleted and the last attack proven useless. The forgotten beasts couldn't destroy anything to leave, and my dwarves had begun a tantrum spiral after so many died. Eventually, the great fortress of Carnal Triangles was lost.

---Adventure Mode Followup/ Carnal Triangles II---

The legend of Carnal Triangles was a simple one, that you could hear in any tavern in the land. It was a great monument of Dwarven capability, daring anyone to try and breach it's walls. It was another story of the dwarves releasing a horrible creature and disappearing never to be seen again, and as an adventurer in a nearby town, I decided I would be the first adventurer to explore the fairly recent ruins.

The doors were wooden, but the rest of the walls were solid rock. The door, surprisingly, opened with a single push. I found a farm that was still fertile, though the plants were long gone. There I saw the staircase down. I tightened my grip on my longsword and plowed on through.

The hallways, at first, were just basic rock. The further I went, though, they smoothed out, then they were carved with most of Dwarven history. The workshops themselves looked like ancient technology, despite how advanced it could be.  I found leftover Steel armor, but I couldn't wear it. The only bad thing about Dwarven armor? It doesn't fit.

I had thoroughly explored the fortresses upper floors, finding nothing interesting save a statue-filled room with what looked to be at least 20 dwarf skeletons. I assumed that this was the room of their final stand against whatever cave-dwelling freaks that had pushed them out of their own earth. I trudged on deeper, wondering what it could have been that caused all this carnage.

I found what looked like a graveyard or soldiers en-masse. Compared to the other room, the smell of death here was less strong, and I quickly noticed why. Trickles of water leaked from all but one floodgate, all of them having damage that was irreversible to all but the finest craftsmen. I followed the trail of water for little more than a few steps before I heard a sickening outcry, like stones being smashed together and screaming of children put together.

Out of the darkness slinked a massive lizard with wings. I drew my sword expecting a dragon, but this dragon was just an oversized gecko... made out of granite. Immediately, I saw clouds of gas erupting from cracks in it's body.

I moved away and began firing over and over with my crossbow that I had looted earlier in hopes of killing the beast, but the bolts did little against the stone body. I thought I had still had a chance, when a glob of some vile material splattered over my sword arm. Standing behind the rapidly advancing gecko beast was a giant blue stone camel, looking as though it was ready to spit again.

I turned and ran, trying my best to outpace the gecko. I dropped all my loot, leaving just the armor I had on and the sword I carried on my person, which gave me just enough speed to escape it. I ran and ran, nearly reaching the top floor, when I felt myself grow stiff. I tried to force movement, but it was hopeless. I looked at my shoulder and noticed that the slime had managed to cause some pretty bad swelling. It also caused paralysis. i figured. I was trapped, just like the dwarves were. The gecko got closer, closer...

-This is a superior quality engraving of the adventurer, Lockshaft, in his adventure to the fortress of Carnal Triangles. On the image is a forgotten beast shaped like a gecko. On the image is a forgotten beast shaped like a camel. On the image is a carving of cheese.-

And a much shorter, less lore-involved bit.

I had just gotten my fourth immigrant wave when one of the metalworkers goes crazy and takes the one forge I have ready. I had plenty of bars from a very great set of four intersecting veins, and this dwarf calls upon all his great and amazing engineering ability to give me a grand steel sword, adorned with rings of silver and menacing with spikes of (more) silver.

On the sword, there was an image of cheese. That was the only thing on this sword, named
"Lusthorror the Inch of Justifying."

I immediately handed it to the first dwarf with any competence with a weapon at all and told him to go kill a few nuisance badgers, the same ones that kept stopping my dwarves from moving my booze into the new stockpile. He rushed out, and pretty easily slaughtered the whole lot... until a Giant Badger showed up. I figured it would be easy for Mr. Cheese Sword to kill it, even with his lack of armor, but I was so horribly wrong.

Urist McAwesome (I didn't get his name, sadly) rushes the badger, but somehow misses. From here on in, they're locked in a ballte to the death, an occasional limb flying to armok knows where on the map. I looked at the battle every few steps, and saw that the badger was winning by a long shot. It had minor damage.

Urist McItsJustAFleshWound is missing both legs and his non-sword arm, and he's still (barely) alive, and STILL FIGHTING.
He manages to DECAPITATE the giant badger the very next second, then dies of blood loss the very next frame. The sheer amount of blood covered nearly a screenful of squares. I later made him a proper memorial slab, sealing that in a room of solid gold, engraved with pictures of awesome and containing the last worldly possession of Urist McDead, Lusthorror.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:41:31 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Bomepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2012, 08:26:54 am »

I know you're going the going to be focusing on stories, but I think it'd be nice to see just a page or two dedicated to some of the more impressive megaprojects. Some truly impressive constructions have come out of dwarf fortress, and the 3d viewers just don't do them justice.

That said, I really just want to tout my only achievement in this game: the MEGADORF™: a 1000 foot tall fortress in the shape of a giant dwarf.

Here's a picture of it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Megadorf™ A giant dwarf shaped dwarf fortress

The All Guardsmen Party

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2012, 09:30:05 am »

"Der be gold in dem dar hills!", the old dwarves of the Iron Hand said as they looked to the east across the plains from the sinister, haunted mountains where they had somehow thrived. As the wagon full of seven hopefuls reached their destination, at the end of the rolling plains to the solitary volcano in the centre of the continent they could see the stories were true. In the sandy earth at the base of the volcano rising steeply like a giant green wave towering over the plain they could see native gold glinting in the sun at the very surface! The group was a soft handed band of bookish types, a skilled architect, an expert trader, bookkeeper and a manager, the group had some skill at masonry and carpentry but little else. In their exuberance they fell up on the gold ore only to find that their poor mining skills yielded little of use. Their disappointment was short lived however as their excavations soon revealed that this was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg, this was truly a mountain of gold!

Before long their hold was excavated, it was laid down with spacious halls and room for formidable defence from the start. A steep, dark, seemingly never ending staircase snaked up the spine of the volcano to the surface of the mountain where quickly magma forges dangled hungrily over the brink smelting gold ore day and night. The small terrace of land in front on the main gates was landscaped so it could only be accessed from a singular ramp opposite the entrance, just large enough for the trade caravans from afar to fit up. The only problem they had was that so far they had not found a single scrap of any ore apart from gold. Dwarves can not live on gold alone, or can they? A legendary golden artefact mechanism was crafted by one inspired dwarf which lead the architect to another inspiration, a shrine to gold as the heart of the fortress. The nearby river was tapped and a wonderful well room was constructed, it had gold brick walls, gold brick floors, gold doors, gold tables and gold thrones. At it's centrer was the well made of gold bricks with a gold chain, a gold bucket and to top it off the finely detailed artefact, the gold mechanism. Dwarves were often found wondering the halls ecstatically after having spent a time in this sublime chamber.

Despite all this incredible wealth at their disposal the dwarves were not having an easy time of it. Their hold was within the sphere of influence of both a kobold and a goblin kingdom, they were also not far from a necromancers tower. They bought what they could from traders but the ragtag militia were poorly equipped with not even a single one of them owning a complete suit of armour. Their bows had bolts made of bone and the few migrants who had arrived were all largely unskilled in the martial arts. Spaces left for weapon traps and siege engines laid empty as they dwarves awaited traders to show up with the iron they had requested. Only a thin line of cage traps and war dogs tethered by golden chains defended the main entrance.

All the trees near the entrance had been cut down and dwarves wondered far away, down the ramp, to find more timber when one day disaster stuck. The militia had been pretty beaten up by a couple of recent goblin ambushes, a strange giant had been put down with little ado but the construction of a hospital had been sidetracked by the dwarves preoccupation with producing gem encrusted golden crafts. When the 50 strong band of undead showed up only a few brief years after the fort's foundation many of the residents were trapped on the wrong side of the ramp. The ragtag militia came limping out in drip and drabs with half their number still wounded from recent fighting. An unarmed group followed them hoping to pick up their weapons and armour and continue the fight should they fall. The battle was grim, the defences were weak, unfinished, dogs torn apart by zombies, the graveyard quickly filled.

After the fight had somehow miraculously been won the people swore to change their ways. They turned their back on gold and made use of what else they had in lieu of any useful metals. They made traps bristling with menacing green glass spikes and sharp obsidian blades. They fortified the ramp with blocks of obsidian dark as midnight, at the top of the obsidian ramp stood guard their trademark war dogs on golden chains, deadly traps nestled in the brickwork.

When the day finally came, those shuffling hulks were once again spotted on the horizon the well oiled plan sprung into action. Animal were herded into the maw of the mountain, citizens poured into their emergency access tunnels moments before vertical bars of gold dropped down closing off every entrance apart from one. Two dogs strained at their chains defiantly barking at the hoard of undead filtering towards the black ramp. The militia commander levelled his legendary crossbow from the battlements over the entrance, they we still a mismatched patchwork of armours but at least they were in good health and ready for the fight.

One by one then in the twos and threes the undead came up the ramp, the carnage was appalling, glass and obsidian flashed out of holes in the dark stone. The dogs readied themselves but not one, not a single undead made it through that first line of defence to the two dogs. As the whole fort watched over a hundred undead dwarves and elves were sliced to pieces on those black stone bricks.

"Dwarves can not live on gold alone", the mayor said sagely as he started the mammoth task of cleaning up the mess. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:30:30 am by SAFry »

vicwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2012, 01:44:08 pm »

Well i made some security in the hollow adamantite tube leading to hell...Some Sparrow fiends made it to my magma forges and killed some by the time my squad and my champion came in.... Champion VS Sparrow fiend...

Note those were the only 2 moves the champion the sparrow fiend was too busy strangeling the fisherdwarf

He killed all 3 sparrow fiends that got inside my fortress.

The lesson is: Don't mess whit the champion.

Edit: he didn't even get bruised.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 01:56:45 pm by vicwarrior »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2012, 08:56:24 pm »

Melbilonshen a 40d fort, was a large metropolis, with 220+ dwarves living in it. It started as a small camp, founded on the edge of chasm in foreboding, black hills surrounded by desert of crimson sand. Giant cave spiders, invasion of mole dogs, lack of equipment and goblins, first ten years only made the dwarves living in devote themselves to make the catacombs larger At the 25th year of it's existence, there was twice more dead in the coffins than the living inhabitants. The vishne, four-armed, blue-skinned, steel-clad giants were no longer a threat, the bulk of city army at last well trained and well supplied, the shortages of alloys and steel being filled. The Queen Idem Imcatten also arrived and instilled her iron laws, which allowed for the first prison to be built. Many perished in the prison cells but life has been made better. Traders brought exotic materials and foods, and the dwarves were buying them for lowest of prices, as the miners explored the sides of chasm for it's wealth. The masterwork aqueduct tunnel system was supplying the wells and farms with clean water, then it was going through waterfall-bathroom, to be dumped into the chasm - truly an object of jealousy in the whole known world

All was well... until one faithful day, on the summer 205...

"Hello Mayor Reg! Going outside with children again?" Asked Mosus, the only founder of the metropolis alive at this point - the others taken away by either insanity or wounds received in battles.
"Of course! Nice day to you, Mosus." The Mayor replied, holding a baby in her hands and flock of her other children following. Mayor for fifteen years, wife of Litast, who forged the sword called 'Destruction of Heavens', and he was talented in few other categories as well.

And so Reg took her three children on a trip outside, onto the hills.
"Look, mother! A superior pig tail sock dyed bronze, made from well-crafted thread!" Muthkat, one of the older daughters of Reg, was always a scavenger.

First bolts flew right through her head, killing her instantly, but her mother and her two siblings quickly joined the dead in dwarven Valhalla, if said place exists for dwarves, that's it.

The soldiers at the gate yelled and alerted the others, but it was too late - people whom they loved the most were dead. The soldiers, skilled veterans as well as dutiful, well-trained newcomers, made short work of the goblin menace that killed their brethren. And when they arrived at the fort, well...

"Mayor Reg was killed because you let her go to get a damn sock!"
"Her children where too young to die, why they were allowed outside!?"
"Stop bickering you fools or I will grab my steel pickaxe and then we will talk!"

The proud fortress that managed to withstand forces of nature and enemy armies for 25 years, easily fell prey to the tantrum spiral that erupted after the death of just four dwarves of the most prominent family. The army along with the city guard tried to instill order, but soon they themselves where fighting with others. Five dead, ten dead, fifty dead - the engravings on the walls, the historical images of hardship, bravery and prosperity, were gaining much life with the crimson paint splattering over them in gallons. The rooms were filling up with bodies, and the dining hall was full of bloody appendages, heads, clothes soaked in blood.

From more than 220, to just 6 in, what must've been, 30 minutes by our count? Four of the survivors greviously injured, moaning and weeping amongst their dead friends and comrades. The fifth survivor was a farmer, who hid in artificial cave at the beginning of this, now sobbing and talking to a plump helmet which was his only friend now. And the sixth survivor, where is he...?

No, not the barracks, check the bathroom maybe... no, not there either.

Maybe one of the meeting halls... no, he would be dead by now...

Oh look, he is at the top of his tower, let's check his-

*sounds of loud snoring can be heard*

*more snoring, and then a long yawn*

"Oh, by the love of Shilrar, these brick floors are so uncomfortable. I must get myself a chair or something..." Said the dwarven sentry, stretching a little and checking his crossbow. He felt the natural dwarven thirst, so he began descending his tower, and then, via few tunnels used by the warriors of Melbilonshen, he arrived at the food stockpilles, filled with alcohol barrels and dead bodies alike.

Only when he had his drink and went upstairs to the dining room, he understood what kind of massacre he has avoided by merely sleeping alone (as he had no real friends in the fortress). And then, he said what he thought was the most appropriate at the moment:

"Oh fuck."

YOUR SETTLEMENT HAS BEEN ABANDONED.

PS: First time I managed to write something 'in-character' about my largest and longest of forts. It's downfall occured not a full year ago. And it happened because of the most cliche of reasons - death of a popular mayor and her kids. The two survivors who would really count were a miserable farmer and said crossbowdwarf. The fact that he had no friends and that he was sleeping at the time of massacre in a remote watch tower pretty much saved his skin, I believe.
I saluted him, the fortress, and then abandoned the fortress to let it rest at last. I will always remember it fondly~
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2012, 01:02:34 am »

((Still looking for stories? Well, whether you are or are not, here you go  8)))

Since my fort is somewhat new, what I did is I dug down to the underground caverns, and then walled myself in, so I could see around, but nothing could get in. And then a Forgotten Beast named Méfaÿo (complete with umlauts) showed up: A gigantic tarantula, with sleek feathers and a nasty, poisonous bite.

It kinda idled around underground for a couple years... and everywhere it stepped, it left a trail of Forgotten Beast ichor behind it. It tracked this grime all over the place, and even polluted the water (which it could apparently breathe, considering it sat in that underground lake for about five months), and when it emerged, dripping wet, it was covered in its own secretions.

Eventually it started to feel sick.
Then it started to feel faint.
Then it died. Alone. And, according to its Wounds page shortly before it died, it was completely uninjured, just faint.

I like to imagine that a GCS found its corpse at some point and thought to itself "Heh, n00b..."

The fortress this happened in is in an part-evil, part-normal biome, and since the corpse is both underground and on the "normal" side of the map, I don't think it's going to spontaneously reanimate... but those mussels sure do. Apparently mussel shell zombies are quite scary (enough to freak my civilians out), even though they have almost no capacity to do damage. I looked at some of their combat logs. Animate mussel shells have two body parts, the body and the shell, but the body is missing. The only attack they ever seem to use is to try to slam into people... with their body. Which doesn't exist. The combat log has a lot of "the attack passes right through!" and such like.

There was also one winter where all the corpses I'd left lying around spontaneously reanimated... no matter how many times I destroyed them. Eventually I sent my macedwarf up there, and he sent zombies and skeletons flying around and bashing into trees so hard that they explode into their component limbs and miscellaneous body parts... all of which reanimated separately shortly thereafter, resulting in a veritable horde of disjointed arms and heads and such trying to harass my woodcutters. That was a ‼fun‼ winter... Because I managed to weaponize the zombies by having the dwarves hide inside my fort and let the zombies harass the goblins when they showed up to invade.  8)

Also, my fortress' current project is to harness the power of wind to pump the fires of ‼the Earth's mantle‼ up a giant tower (made of obsidian, because it just wouldn't be impressive enough if it wasn't made of jet-black stone) into a giant, overground reservoir with hatches in the bottom. The hatches will of course be connected to levers, and have some nice coloured flooring or something directly underneath them to serve as targets for my magma-killsat. I think it's been done before, but I want to do it myself. It sounds so ‼fun‼  :D

And I made a little entryway into my fort out of ice. Just to show off to all the merchants, "hey, look what I can do. I can make ice that doesn't even melt in magma."
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2012, 10:06:01 am »

The funniest thing that has ever happened to me was my first encounter with a dragon.

My dwarves all fled inside and I raised the drawbridge. I was amazed it seemed everyone had made it..except for one of the cats. The dragon chased the cat all over the map, finally cornering it at my fort entrance. It unleashed its mighty firebreath incinerating the poor kitty...and the raised drawbridge...and the 10 wooden cage traps behind it.

For a brief moment twenty very surprised dwarves in my main hallway looked the dragon in the eye. Then the carnage began.

I managed to capture the dragon after many dwarves had died. I thought to sell the caged dragon to the elves. Instead of moving the cage my dwarf released the dragon from its cage and promptly panicked. The cage room was located next to my crowded main dining hall. Talk about crashing a party.

Eventually the dragon perished, but my fortress population was decimated and the resulting tantrum spiral was dramatic. I think ten dwarves survived in the end, out of 130.

So much FUN ! :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »

My first encounter with a dragon was actually an encounter with a skeletal dragon. It could still breathe fire without lungs, natch. I could tell because it lit one of my woodcutters on ‼fire‼.

I had a setup that allowed me to seal my fortress up air-tight, so it decided to take the back door in... by diving into the magma pipe breaching the surface and swim down to my magma smelters/forges. Turns out that skeletal dragons aren't as fireproof as they'd like to think they are, because it died shortly after diving into the magma pool, died, collapsed into a bunch of bones and a skull, and fell to the bottom.

Punk dragon didn't even let me claim it's skull or bones.  >:(
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2012, 02:22:35 pm »

I know I'm past the deadline but I still would like to share this. A child threw a party in the upper leves of my Fort during a siege. I hadn't scrambled the military yet because the traps normally keep everything out, they jammed all of the traps with gore and had gotten in. Attending the party was a ranger, a few random civillians, and a bunch of children. The goblins broke in and stomed the party, everyone started to flee except for the ranger, he calmly turned and shot a gobin through the brain. A few attempted to get down the narrow passage way and he just kept picking them off one shot per goblin. Eventually enough got into the room and surrounded him, the military arrived shortly after and avenged him, He was the only death duing this siege, This crazy bastard who during normal seiges would stand on the roof and shoot at bowmen despite none of the burrows being outside, this crazy  son of a bich who chased down packs of unicorns because the elephants were too easy, The crazy bastard who shot a titan down in an open field before it could reach the fort because he wanted a drink from the well. He will be missed.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2012, 02:46:48 am »

I've just recently started up DF again, having abandoned my last fortress months ago, and after dling the new version and tampering with the raws and inits and whatnot, then spending about 2 hours trying to craft a ridiculous world to my liking and suffering through multiple rejection cycles (this took so long cause I'm on a total shit computer and everything runs slow) I finally started up my epic fortress

I chose a haunted badlands/mountain biome for the site, and there are dense wormy tendrils and eyeballs everywhere, not that you can see them amidst the horrid slime storm that encovers all in grey (I'm using Ironhand's graphics set which has the slime grey, beforehand I used Phoebus' and it kept the slime to a bright pink/purplish, but I feel the grey is depressingly appropriate) My fortress is named "Geshud Shash" which means 'Fortress of Hell' and most of my time so far has been devoted to carving out the main level beneath the ground: a giant ringed pentagram with the very center being a massive staircase downward which I plan on riding straight to the deepest levels of the underground

Unfortunately my biome has no trees whatsoever and I foolishly forgot to bring any on embark (too much rum, alas) so other than the 3 beds I made out of my wagon, I have no barrels or beds or fuel to start smithing. all my non-miner dwarves have pretty much sat around twiddling their thumbs in their asses while we wait for the first caravan to come with much needed supplies and equipment. On the bright side, the natural wildlife has been rather docile, threatening my dwarves with peregrine falcons, barn owls and a porcupine that refuses to go away. my metalsmith has also made enough stonecrafts to probably buy out the caravan, and make her at least adept so far.

I'd also like to mention the mountain I chose is called 'The Tooth of Polish' and although I'm sure the game is referring to the shinier kind of polish, I'm about 2/3's Polish and I cant help appreciate the coincidence. Further, I chose my dwarven civilization solely because they were based on this mountain and ironic to the dark nature of my fortress, they are named the "Net of Angels"

I'm hoping to have a bigger update once the ball gets rolling, and pictures too! hurray!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2012, 05:19:15 am »

Thanks for more stories! We're still working on the art so more stories are always welcome.

We're definitely doing Cacame - who was the originator of that one? I'm not sure I can be 100% sure and we'd like to credit them.

We're going to do the HugoLuman's "adventurer's hand" if he accepts :)

Ps. I need a "like" button! Lots of great stories in this thread, thanks all!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 05:28:07 am by TinyPirate »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2012, 05:45:54 am »

Cacame?

The Elf Lord of the Dwarven Realm?

The one who single handedly (with labor), slew a whole army unarmored? With a warhammer? (Though I prefer a Bec de corbin :3)

Originator: Holy Mittens, who has also made other stories about Cacame.

The thread is in the Hall of Legends. Quick link in my sig[/shamelessadvertising?]

And...great. Just when you think you've posted your story, you check and see nothing. Posting mine soon  :P

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2012, 08:08:53 am »

That's the one! Thanks ;)
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15