Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The one true way to avoid bandit ambushes  (Read 939 times)

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The one true way to avoid bandit ambushes
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:13 am »

…is to start the game as a human outsider.

It's a bit of a rougher start, but it means that all bandits will be friendly to you. (Plus you get to start with knife-using skill, which is totes sweet.)

To be precise, bandits still ambush you and bring you out of fast travel, but won't attack you. You can even talk to them and ask them to be your companions.

Unfortunately, your companions aren't safe from bandit aggression, even if they are themselves bandits; your attackers will just pass right by you and attack your friends (edit: or even members of the same bandit group (if this is a separate ambush than the one in which you recruited them)!). The first time this happened, I recruited a goblin bandit after it attacked one of my companions, and the two continued to fight each other despite their newfound allegiance.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 04:07:51 am by Hummingbird »
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The one true way to avoid bandit ambushes
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:02:53 am »

[double post]

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:22:30 am »

That's good to know. Do the bandits mind if you avail yourself of their crap laying around their camp?

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 04:35:04 am »

I imagine not, though I haven't specifically tried. None of the objects in bandit camps have $money signs$ around them, indicating that they're technically not really owned by anyone. That shouldn't change whether you belong to a civilization or not.