Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Something Wrong?  (Read 1245 times)

DirtPoacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Something Wrong?
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

Well, I make a Bowyer workshop. Assign it to make Wooden Crossbows. Someone goes to it and interrupts because they need logs. Then they sit there and do nothing and yes I do have logs and they wont do anything else until I destroy the Workshop. They won't even go to eat or drink. What is going on?
We enjoy warmth because we have been cold.
We appreciate light because we have been in darkness.
By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.
-David Weatherford

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something Wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 04:03:12 am »

I’ve had dwarves die like this from thirst. I think it’s caused by some random item left on the ground under the shop when it’s built. Disband the shop, clear all tiles by dumping items, then try rebuilding it. That’s how I fixed shops like this before, you may have the same problem here.

Frame

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:35:50 am »

You probably blocked the exit to the workshop with the workshop itself. Bowyer and Jewlcrafter workshops have 3 vertical impassable tiles that are probably blocking the door. When you build a workshop watch the dark X's so that a dwarf can at least walk out diagonally. Light X's are passable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:32:50 am »

All workshops have impassable tiles. Your Dwarves cannot walk through these.

When you build a workshop watch the dark X's so that a dwarf can at least walk out diagonally. Light X's are passable.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:15:47 pm »

All workshops have impassable tiles. Your Dwarves cannot walk through these.

When you build a workshop watch the dark X's so that a dwarf can at least walk out diagonally. Light X's are passable.

^ This is the biggest culprit.  I still find myself double-checking the wiki for which tiles are impassable when I'm designing a new fortress, to make sure I don't accidentally make a given industry setup impossible.

The easiest, and semi-efficient, solution is to make a room for the workshop that is bigger than the workshop itself, enough to leave a 1 tile wide space around it.  So, for a Bowyer's (3x3), you make a 5x5 room and put the shop in the dead center.  Then, you can designate the space around the shop as a stockpile for that shop's supplies (stone, wood, etc.).  You won't have to worry about trapped workers, and your haulers will make sure your shop ALWAYS has materials close at hand, making for more efficient industry.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves