Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rock Salt  (Read 7608 times)

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
Rock Salt
« on: February 16, 2012, 02:01:49 am »

I now have the ability to 'Cut Rock Salt' in the job manager. What building/profession does this and what does it produce? Any ideas?
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Salt
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 02:04:08 am »

Rocks are now Gems for all intent and purposes.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:07:27 am »

Rocks are now Gems for all intent and purposes.

All rocks? So you can cut marble and use it to decorate stuff?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:23:02 am »

Yup.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:34 am »

Is vice-versa true? Can you make gem tables and crafts and such as though they were normal rocks?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 03:22:17 am »

If there's been a change to gem cutting, there's no reason to assume there's been a change to masonry.  The only thing changed is that raw stones can be cut like gems.  The only question unanswered, is if boulders count as uncut gems for moods.  When a mood demands "rough color" will a rock work?  I do doubt it, but it does mean that cut stones will suffice for moods.  And it means you can train a gem cutter on junk stone instead of wasting diamonds on a novice.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 03:27:59 am »

I know this is a small feature but I like this.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 03:45:18 am »

Also note that certain creatures have gastroliths now - litterally "throat stones".  They're small pebbles used by turkey and, more notably, ostriches, which are kept in the throat/gizzard and used to grind food.  While these creatures have no teeth, they still eat things like corn, and the gastroliths help to mill the food by rubbing and grinding against one another.  When you butcher certain creatures, you can find gastroliths, made of any stone material and done with a particular gem cut.
Code: [Select]
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]
[EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE]
EBO - Extra Butcher Object.  Associated with the "gizzard" body part, butchering will return an amount of stones with the GIZZARD_STONE type of gem cut - presumably the only source of this cut is from butchering.  An actual gastrolith would look like a stone that had the outermost edges sandblasted smooth, with any deep indents or pits left untouched.  Unlike regular water-smoothed stones, a gizzard stone wouldn't have any flowing water or tiny particles to sweep into the depressions, so smoothing would primarily occur on the raised faces.  They also often show hairline scratches, when a new stone was introduced and cut against the older stones, leaving a small mark before it was worn down to smoothness.

Presumably, you can also add EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT to produce... unique, items.  Utilizing the caste system to make distinctions, you can make it where some alligators can be butchered and you might find a toy boat or instrument in the stomach, to simulate that they had eaten the item while still alive.  Could also make it so that certain animals produced items on butchering, perhaps have a giant worm creature that drops a few bolts or swords when butchered.  It's hard to tell in that picture, but the monsters from Mabinogi have a series of old weapons lodged in their backs.  Or you could have a sort of Jewel Crab creature, with a gem EBO associated with the shell, causing you to butcher a jewel crab and have it drop emeralds.  It's also possible to make Ents that can be butchered to produce logs.

Mostly assumptions on my part, but it appears that EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT simply produces any given item when the creature is butchered, allowing for a vast number of options, essentially letting any creature be butchered to produce any item.

Of note: Eggs wouldn't work.  They wouldn't be fertilized nor would they be in a nest box, so you couldn't, say, butcher a zerg queen and get usable eggs - they'd just be edible eggs but would never hatch.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 06:09:34 am »

This extra object butchering is great. I will make plump helmet men produce plump helmet now when butchered. Also hurrah! No more wasted gem cuts via practice.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 08:04:01 am »

Begin dastardly butcher bomb modding.

Plasson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 08:10:55 am »

you can also cut and encrust with Clays..    Now thats stretching it a bit in my eyes.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 10:10:45 am »

Turtles with treasure inside!  Just like real life!
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 10:16:45 am »

Also note that certain creatures have gastroliths now - litterally "throat stones".  They're small pebbles used by turkey and, more notably, ostriches, which are kept in the throat/gizzard and used to grind food.  While these creatures have no teeth, they still eat things like corn, and the gastroliths help to mill the food by rubbing and grinding against one another.  When you butcher certain creatures, you can find gastroliths, made of any stone material and done with a particular gem cut.
Code: [Select]
[EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT:BY_CATEGORY:GIZZARD]
[EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE]
[EBO_SHAPE:GIZZARD_STONE]
EBO - Extra Butcher Object.  Associated with the "gizzard" body part, butchering will return an amount of stones with the GIZZARD_STONE type of gem cut - presumably the only source of this cut is from butchering.  An actual gastrolith would look like a stone that had the outermost edges sandblasted smooth, with any deep indents or pits left untouched.  Unlike regular water-smoothed stones, a gizzard stone wouldn't have any flowing water or tiny particles to sweep into the depressions, so smoothing would primarily occur on the raised faces.  They also often show hairline scratches, when a new stone was introduced and cut against the older stones, leaving a small mark before it was worn down to smoothness.

Presumably, you can also add EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT to produce... unique, items.  Utilizing the caste system to make distinctions, you can make it where some alligators can be butchered and you might find a toy boat or instrument in the stomach, to simulate that they had eaten the item while still alive.  Could also make it so that certain animals produced items on butchering, perhaps have a giant worm creature that drops a few bolts or swords when butchered.  It's hard to tell in that picture, but the monsters from Mabinogi have a series of old weapons lodged in their backs.  Or you could have a sort of Jewel Crab creature, with a gem EBO associated with the shell, causing you to butcher a jewel crab and have it drop emeralds.  It's also possible to make Ents that can be butchered to produce logs.

Mostly assumptions on my part, but it appears that EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT simply produces any given item when the creature is butchered, allowing for a vast number of options, essentially letting any creature be butchered to produce any item.

Of note: Eggs wouldn't work.  They wouldn't be fertilized nor would they be in a nest box, so you couldn't, say, butcher a zerg queen and get usable eggs - they'd just be edible eggs but would never hatch.

:o
Amazing. Also girlinhat knows Mabinogi, which is also awesome AND amazing!

This opens the door to quite a few new modding ideas...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 10:19:39 am »

I'm the leader of Fjallheim on Mabinogi - German literal translation for Mountainhome.  You should be checking this stuff out, we're pretty active and productive.

Plasson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:49 am »

I'm the leader of Fjallheim on Mabinogi - German literal translation for Mountainhome.  You should be checking this stuff out, we're pretty active and productive.

you Sure about that?   wouldn't Berghaus be more correct?   can't see Fjãll being given any other synonyms in Google. wich I expect has a wider vocabulary than my 8th grade german :P

Besides "Fjãllheim" seems dead on for Swedish.   Not unlike my own, norwegian "Fjellheim"
Pages: [1] 2