Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing Items  (Read 958 times)

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storing Items
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:36:42 am »

Can you store items in towns now, or will people steal and run off with it?
I got a bunch of thing I don't really want to lose in the middle of nowhere

Chandrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Items
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:57 am »

Im not sure about in towns, but ive seen a couple people say they were storing stuff in night creature lairs after killing the creature.

KoboldWarmonger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:59 am »

Im not sure about in towns, but ive seen a couple people say they were storing stuff in night creature lairs after killing the creature.

Dude didnt you read

Quote from: THE OFFICIAL CHANGELOG
dropped items/bodies tracked between plays in the wilderness anywhere in the world

Using a lair is unecessary; you can store things wherever you like now. I would assume this also true for towns, but there is a slight chance toady coded some people-run-off-with-your-shit mechanic. I doubt it though. If you're worried, leave something in a house and check back a few days later.

In the interim I would put all your valuables just outside of city limits, maybe next to some nice landmarks.

Happy adventuring.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 02:53:30 am »

Personally, I would take a barrel from a merchant (if there's nothing in it they don't care if you take them) or buy/find a chest or cage, put everything you want in it, and leave it in an abandoned house or a warehouse.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:00:01 am »

If you leave it outside, I believe it scatters randomly, like when you abandon a fortress, but it never vanishes or becomes owned by anybody else or leaves the boundaries of the settlement.

Unless you store it in a store, or perhaps a house. I remember storing crap in people's hovels was possible in 40d but I'm not sure now.

Night Creature lairs make the best base of operations, because I know for sure stuff won't disappear from them.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 08:28:30 am »

Chuck your stuff in a nice lil' night creature lair, it'll never disappear ;)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20:28 am »

Chuck your stuff in a nice lil' night creature lair, it'll never disappear ;)

Nor rot, if i recall it right.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:52:34 am »

I've been storing stuff in the catacombs of the local keep, in some gold chests I bought off a metalsmith. Nothing has scattered, and it's easy to remember where I put everything.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 11:55:24 am »

Ah, alright then. I'll leave it in the catacombs too, as that's where I get all my gear now