Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A compromise for the undead  (Read 6540 times)

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A compromise for the undead
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:39:50 pm »

Having unlimited respawning undead is cool honestly. 

However, it tends to get a little more than ridiculous when hair and skin are somehow managing to become undead and travel around. 

As some people have said, it should be limited to at most to bodyparts (hands, feet, etc), while things such as hair and skin should (in the case of skin) automatically rot and spread miasma (either instantaneously or very quickly), and in the case of both become useless to tan/spin into cloth. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: A compromise for the undead
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:41:43 pm »

Having unlimited respawning undead is cool honestly. 

However, it tends to get a little more than ridiculous when hair and skin are somehow managing to become undead and travel around. 

As some people have said, it should be limited to at most to bodyparts (hands, feet, etc), while things such as hair and skin should (in the case of skin) automatically rot and spread miasma (either instantaneously or very quickly), and in the case of both become useless to tan/spin into cloth.

This. It actually makes sense.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:50:32 pm »

I think that, instead of having a small trickle of corpses resurrected constantly, resurrection events should occur in short bursts, with a whole whack of corpses occasionally resurrecting at once with long-ish stretches of silence in between. This would at least give the player a reprieve between zombie attacks; killing the same weasel 4 times in a month wasn't exactly hard, but it sort of wore at my patience after a bit.

Also, shouldn't this go in Suggestions?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:56:42 pm »

Now it should. Cause both were good ideas.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:48:06 am »

I tend to agree that while the idea of your dead rising up to seek revenge sounds cool at first having to kill a falcon fifty times a season lest it pester your dwarves isn't.. Fun.. IMO at least. 

I don't have a specific solution, and I'd hate to get rid of the idea all together, but I would support tweaking it some.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:56:11 am »

I think it would be okay if there was a timer.

Maybe 1 month of time would be sufficient. That short enough that the dead just won't stay dead if you leave them alone, but its long enough to dispose of the corpses if you have free labor.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 01:00:24 am »

There was a relevant thread that just got busted that had a few gems buried in it, most are lost now but I did save my favorite.

He was probably right about raising rate being too fast(probably should be something like once a fullmoon or something)

This is brilliance, utter brilliance. For personal preference I'd want them to raise every moonless night (just for the rule of cool), but the lunar cycle does open a lot of options. It could be interesting if zombies could only vanquished under a full moon, or under a black moon for that matter. Silver weapons only could also have potential there too.

I actually kind of like the nearly instant turning after death, the eternal re-animation is the real bitch of it. Even if there was only, say, a 10% chance to actually kill for good with a standard weapon(or your could use a 90% chance to raise when killed to gain the same effect), it would improve the situation dramatically. 

---

(The above is a post that was written for the thread-that-shall-not-be-named moments before it tanked)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:01:48 am »

A timer would be great.  I was going to reply to other thread, but it disappeared as I was trying to reply.  Anyway, there's a huge difference between a big challenge for experienced players and the player being totally screwed from the first second of the embark practically.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 01:02:51 am »

A timer would be great.  I was going to reply to other thread, but it disappeared as I was trying to reply.  Anyway, there's a huge difference between a big challenge for experienced players and the player being totally screwed from the first second of the embark practically.

This is true. Very true. Not always the kind of fun you want.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:08 am »

As I posted in the suggestions thread that adresses the undead:

An init option where you set how quickly the bodies animate would be nice.
I wouldn't use it, I would just like to have the option to.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 01:05:03 am »

That sounds pretty good.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 01:07:31 am »

That might be better as a worldgen setting, as from what I understand the resurrection frequency is defined within the procedurally-generated raising interactions which I'm assuming are stored in the world's save folder like the procedurally-generated critters are.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 01:11:34 am »

I second just about everything in this thread. :thumbsup: Larger bodyparts only, and only once every full moon? Sounds good to me. A larger burst would give you time to prepare, and more of a challenge when it happened.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:13:43 am »

This is true. Very true. Not always the kind of fun you want.

I feel the need to point out that someone not prepared to deal with constant zombies could just not embark in an evil area....

that said, this does seem like a good compromise, tying it to the moon cycle can make a clear visual indicator for the player too.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:04 am »

That might be better as a worldgen setting, as from what I understand the resurrection frequency is defined within the procedurally-generated raising interactions which I'm assuming are stored in the world's save folder like the procedurally-generated critters are.

*Blink*

So there's a possibility that we're already able to alter them if we can find the right line?
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."
Pages: [1] 2 3