Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: New player questions  (Read 4149 times)

TheSilverHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New player questions
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 02:20:00 pm »

I deleted the items not being made and then rebuilt them and they constructed. I guess it is a bug.  I suppose ill have to find out some flux matieral for the pig iron.

BTW what is the 'coin' economy?  I can't get coins from merchants, ie: If I can't sell stuff with extra value and get change.  I see reference to this, and I do know I can make iron coins.  I am not sure why I would make them yet,so I have not.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: TheSilverHammer ]

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 02:33:00 pm »

Good work. Actually, that's worked for me sometimes too. I assumed that maybe the items got built faster when I replaced them because the newly-chosen building materials were initially closer to the site, and so were more likely to result in prompt construction, but I'm not really sure.

Good luck in your search for flux materials; I've not had much luck in finding them. If you press "z" and view the Stone menu, you can confirm which types of stone can be used to create pig iron, among other things. You should be on the lookout for limestone, dolomite, chalk, marble and calcite, apparently.

Edit: The coin economy is something that you may be pressured into when your fortress is sufficiently developed, and a certain noble arrives. The "Prices" and "Currency" menus will become available on the status screen (press "z") at this point.

You don't need to worry about it too much until then, unless perhaps you want to mint some gold, silver and copper coins (the economy seems to require equal amounts of each of these three types of coin) in advance, but basically, once the economy starts, your dwarves will be required to begin paying rent on their bedrooms and paying for any belongings they wish to acquire. You will also be able to build shops for your dwarves to use. Your dwarves will be paid wages for any jobs they do around the fortress, and you are expected to get enough coins minted to fuel this economy. Once the economy has started, your Broker will be able to tell you how many coins you should have, so don't worry about having to make estimates for it.

I've heard that some people don't like it when stacks of coins get broken up into small amounts and are left strewn about the fortress, although this hasn't bothered me yet; I believe dwarves will store their coins in any chest/coffer/container they own. In any case, the economy can be disabled if you like, by editing your init.txt file in the data\init folder.

Before the economy starts, the only real use for coins is as another trade good to use in buying things from merchants, although it's usually not necessary for that. Anyway, coins can be pretty heavy; you'd probably do better just to have some experienced craftdwarves making decent trade goods instead.

Oh, and unfortunately, merchants are greedy. They don't like to give change, so I don't think they even bother to carry any with them.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Tayrin ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

If it helps any in the 2D version you could mint tin coins instead of gold (or silver, or copper) to trick the economy into starting, the dwarves would use credit instead of coins and your dwarves would never touch the pile of tin so you wouldn't have it spreading across your fortress like a plague.  

With the new version unless the tin trick doesn't work anymore it would probably work with any metal you can make coins out of except platinum, electrum, gold, silver, or copper.

Of course, I haven't gotten to the point where I could consider an economy yet, so I haven't tried it in the z-axis versions...(always a new experiment to perform or I got a new little mini-mod idea...)

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

I kinda just skimmed after the post I'm quoting, so I apologize if this was already answered and I missed it.

quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverHammer:
<STRONG>Then I laid out some wall (is there a way to do this more then 1 piece at a time?) and a few wall sections just never get built, it says suspended even though other wall sections get made and if I make even newer ones, they also get made.</STRONG>

Nope, one section at a time. As for the suspended ones, something probably interrupted your dwarves (like kobold thieves or groundhogs) so they stopped trying to build the wall and suspended it. To get it going again, look at it with either 't' or 'q' (one or the other or both work, I don't remember off hand) and press 's' to unsuspend it.

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside
Pages: 1 [2]