Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necronphesh Mod (0.34.x)  (Read 3929 times)

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
Necronphesh Mod (0.34.x)
« on: February 15, 2012, 05:08:33 pm »

Note: This is still the Alpha release of this MOD, it has not been balanced in any way and may still have problems.

This is the Necronphesh Mod. It adds a custom race (similar to humans) as well as a civilization entry, a custom language and some custom interactions. This mod also (re)includes the lost words & 'naughty' language from the previous edition of DF for all of the default languages as well. Thanks go to CptMayday/Anticheese for doing the initial legwork for the restored original language files; that mod alone can be found here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5496

The Necronphesh are an evil civilization, loosely based on human (Earth) civilizations from the Cradle of Humanity regions of the world (Sumer, Egypt, Mesopotamia, etc.) or as close as I can make in Dwarf Fortress modding terms. From fiction I am inspired by Nagash and the Nehekhara from Warhammer Fantasy. By default they only create a single civilization on a world and, with their ethics tags, they may easily get wiped out by other civilizations during history. They are a civilization obsessed with death, undeath and immortality.

Two special 'adventurer' castes exist (one male, one female) that have the built-in custom Lich Transformation reaction for the Necronphesh.

Current Feature List:
  • Civilized Races: Necronphesh, Skeleton Humanoid
  • Custom Nobles for the Necronphesh (Religion Nobles Variation)
  • Monstrous Races: Skeleton,  Skeleton Champion, Lich, Bone Dust Cloud, Bone Golem, Bone Dragon
  • Lich Transformation Interaction (Secret)
  • Lich/Necromantic Magic (Including a Skeleton Transformation on a Corpse)
  • New Plants: Bonewood Trees, Skull Bushes, Corpse Pods, Bone Dust Moss, Etc.
  • Skeleton Champion Disturbance Interaction (For Tombs) w/Curse
  • Adventure Mode Reactions: Create Bone Equipment

To-Do list: More undead & necromantic creatures & monsters. Bone building materials & custom reactions & buildings (for Fortress Mode), general Adventure-mode and Fortress-mode improvements and additions. Make the added plants more interesting (some Syndromes?)

Download Link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5517
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:21:52 am by Alluvian_Est-Endrati »
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necronphesh Mod (0.34.x)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 05:29:35 pm »

A slight update to the mod (already). I discovered that these new custom reactions can be restricted by caste. Thus for this mod I created two POP_RATIO:0 castes (one male, one female) to serve as adventurer castes. This way one can play with the ability to transform into a Lich in the current version of the mod, without having to worry about all of the other members of the species becoming undead as well.
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »

Awesome! A pity we can't do any modding regarding cities/architecture, yet. An egyptian/mesopotamian civilizan mod is an awesome idea, especially with the necromantic/death focus.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:22:12 pm »

Huh. You know, I dont beleve the Warhammer mod has a Nehekhara faction in the works yet. This is quite a nice starting point.  :D
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 03:33:08 am »

My POP_RATIO:0 guys still appeared in hamlets for some reason.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:31:25 am »

A bit of an update for the mod. Added the various plant types (still tinkering with them, may add some with syndromes). Added three skeletal creature types; a basic animated skeleton, a skeleton champion (may make a disturbance curse to create these) and a lich.

The Lich transformation now changes the creature of the caster into that of the lich. Currently the Lich Transformation is meant to be a humanoid thing (humans, Necronphesh, Dwarves, etc.) but I may change this in the future. One thought is to do Lich as a creature variation template that can be applied to existing creatures.

Currently tinkering with the idea of having a single skeletal civ to represent a civilization that fell into undeath entierly.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »

Added a whole lot of new features, critters & interactions. I still consider this mod to be in Alpha however as I am still in the process of adding and testing new features on a fairly regular basis. Added Bone Dust Cloud, a rather easy to kill (yet nasty) underground critter. Added a Bone Golem (made out of more than just normal bone) and a Bone Dragon (complete with hardened bone armor & carapace and blood syndromes).

Added a new disturbance interaction for Tombs (to generate a Skeleton Champion) complete with a new curse they can toss on hapless adventurers.

Created a new Inorganic material: Necrobone. Using it as a catchall material for 'magically treated' bone; changed the material the Skeleton Champions and the Lich were made out of to this and it nicely improved their survivability. No more seeing a Lich get one-shot beheaded by some novice with a sword. While the normal Skeleton was not made into this new material, I did improve the durability of their bone (and the dragon's bone) directly in their creature entries.

I plan to add more undead monsters, more interactions (more secrets, more disturbances, curses, weather, etc.) and other assorted fun elements as I get to them.

Aside from the Skeletal races (and the Necron/Lich stuff) I may also create a vampire & blood-themed set of interactions & a special civilization as well.

My POP_RATIO:0 guys still appeared in hamlets for some reason.

I think I have this mostly fixed. Changed those two castes to Ratio:1 and set the ratio for the normal castes to 10000 or so. After some checking around in several towns & hamlets, did not see any adventurer caste members as of yet.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 05:46:31 am »

Great looking mod. Can't wait to try it out. I just noticed that there's no speech file though. What will the game say when one is referenced?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:17 am »

Regarding the idea of a necromantic civilization, I have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to create a race that's "undead friendly"? That's it, undeads will not attack this race by default, just as animals don't attack elves. [AT_PEACE_WITH_UNDEAD]

2) Is it possible to make a civ with, say a: Town Necromancer noble position, make this position required on all towns and let this guy animate the dead?

What I want: A culture that reanimate their dead and use them for menial labor or shock troops.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:38:07 am »

A few minor updates to the mod. Most important among them is that I finally got around to implementing the custom noble positions for the Necronphesh. In essence the Necronphesh are now a theocracy, as the noble positions are based upon my earlier custom Religion Nobles mod. Here are the nobles as of this post:

Code: [Select]
[POSITION:MONARCH]
[NAME:týnekros:týnekros]
[NUMBER:1]
[SPOUSE:týnekros consort:týnekros consort]
[RESPONSIBILITY:ACCOUNTING]
[RESPONSIBILITY:BUILD_MORALE]
[RESPONSIBILITY:HEALTH_MANAGEMENT]
[RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_ENFORCEMENT]
[RESPONSIBILITY:LAW_MAKING]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MAKE_TOPIC_AGREEMENTS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MANAGE_PRODUCTION]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MEET_WORKERS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_GOALS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:MILITARY_STRATEGY]
[RESPONSIBILITY:RECEIVE_DIPLOMATS]
[RESPONSIBILITY:RELIGION]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:HIGH_PRIEST]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION_SPOUSE]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[PRECEDENCE:1]
[FLASHES]
[SPECIAL_BURIAL]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[DETERMINES_COIN_DESIGN]
[COLOR:7:0:0]
[ACCOUNT_EXEMPT]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[DEMAND_MAX:10]
[MANDATE_MAX:5]
[REQUIRED_BOXES:10]
[REQUIRED_CABINETS:5]
[REQUIRED_RACKS:5]
[REQUIRED_STANDS:5]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:10000]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:10000]
[REQUIRED_DINING:10000]
[REQUIRED_TOMB:10000]
[POSITION:HIGH_PRIEST]
[NAME_MALE:high priest:high priests]
[NAME_FEMALE:high priestess:high priestesses]
[NUMBER:1][SITE]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:PRIEST]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION_SPOUSE]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[ELECTED]
[PRECEDENCE:2]
[FLASHES]
[SLEEP_PRETENSION]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[KILL_QUEST]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[SQUAD:10:zealot:zealots]
[COLOR:4:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[DEMAND_MAX:3]
[MANDATE_MAX:3]
[REQUIRED_OFFICE:10000]
[REQUIRED_BEDROOM:10000]
[REQUIRED_TOMB:10000]
[REQUIRES_POPULATION:75]
[POSITION:PRIEST]
[NAME_MALE:priest:priests]
[NAME_FEMALE:priestess:priestesses]
[NUMBER:3][SITE]
[SUCCESSION:BY_POSITION:ACOLYTE]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[PUNISHMENT_EXEMPTION]
[APPOINTED_BY:HIGH_PRIEST]
[PRECEDENCE:75]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:5:0:1]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:ACOLYTE]
[NAME:acolyte:acolytes]
[NUMBER:9][SITE]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[APPOINTED_BY:PRIEST]
[APPOINTED_BY:FRIAR]
[PRECEDENCE:125]
[FLASHES]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:5:0:0]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[POSITION:FRIAR]
[NAME:Friar:Friars]
[NUMBER:1]
[SITE]
[MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION]
[SQUAD:10:congregator:congregation]
[COMMANDER:DEVOTEE:ALL]
[REPLACED_BY:HIGH_PRIEST]
[PRECEDENCE:130]
[FLASHES]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[BRAG_ON_KILL]
[CHAT_WORTHY]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[COLOR:5:0:0]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]
[RULES_FROM_LOCATION]
[POSITION:DEVOTEE]
[NAME:devotee:devotees]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:AS_NEEDED]
[SQUAD:10:congregator:congregation]
[APPOINTED_BY:FRIAR]
[APPOINTED_BY:EXPEDITION_LEADER]
[APPOINTED_BY:HIGH_PRIEST]
[PRECEDENCE:135]
[DO_NOT_CULL]
[EXPORTED_IN_LEGENDS]
[DUTY_BOUND]
[MILITARY_SCREEN_ONLY]

May still make some tweaks here (rename the Friar, etc.) not quite sure yet. I am almost entirely happy with the Entity file for the Necronphesh now. I do plan to spend more time on the Skeletal entities soon as well for their nobles and such.

Some of the responsibilities are not being handled yet (such as Execution) still deciding who gets the promotion of whether I need another position to fit with the theme.

Regarding the idea of a necromantic civilization, I have the following questions:

1) Is it possible to create a race that's "undead friendly"? That's it, undeads will not attack this race by default, just as animals don't attack elves. [AT_PEACE_WITH_UNDEAD]

2) Is it possible to make a civ with, say a: Town Necromancer noble position, make this position required on all towns and let this guy animate the dead?

What I want: A culture that reanimate their dead and use them for menial labor or shock troops.

(1) I need to do some more testing on my Skeletal race, I am hoping that it is undead friendly and one could walk up on a Necromancer tower and not get swarmed. I will get back to you on that as soon I find a chance to test it.

Most likely it is either the [NOT_LIVING] or [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] tags that need to be used, testing would have to be done.

(2) If you had a caste of a creature that was a necromancer, you could give that caste some special CREATURE_CLASS token; in theory noble positions can be forced to a ALLOWED_CLASS that uses a custom defined CREATURE_CLASS token from their race.

Only one problem comes to mind with trying to have a mixed living/undead civ: If you still rely on living creatures (animals) in any way, they may all freak out when undead start being added. However if the undead being created do not have [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] the reaction of living entities may be different. Would not be too hard to test this out I think.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:13:30 am »

Tried adding both [NOT_LIVING] or [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] (and both) to a char in adventure mode; still got attacked by a Necromancer and their unending swarms of corpses.

Adding [NOT_LIVING] to a living creatures does not cause living things nearby to freak out. [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] does.

Next I will try an animate effect on something, that does not have [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] as an added tag, and see if the critter attacks people in town.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:14:16 pm »

Awesome mod. Can't wait for more.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:51 pm »

Tried adding both [NOT_LIVING] or [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] (and both) to a char in adventure mode; still got attacked by a Necromancer and their unending swarms of corpses.

Adding [NOT_LIVING] to a living creatures does not cause living things nearby to freak out. [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] does.

Next I will try an animate effect on something, that does not have [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] as an added tag, and see if the critter attacks people in town.

[NO_AGING] seems to turn all undead into docile creatures for me. It, rather ironically, makes the evil biomes a more safer place to sleep in than ordinary ones.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.