Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oldest World  (Read 4297 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest World
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>Well, actually on a decent computer it would take 12 and a half days.

Go on the overland travel map as an adventurer with weather off and put a rock on the left and right arrow keys, the adventurer will go back and forth and back and forth.... It should take about one second for him to move a space. It takes six spaces for it to be a day. 365 days in a year, about 500 years to get to 2101

1X6X365X500 = 1095000 seconds. Divide that by 60 twice, you get 301.6 hours
So all you really have to do is take a computer that isn't really used and run it nonstop for a week or two.

REPENT TORAK!</STRONG>

He didnt ask how long someone held the left and right buttons on adventurer mode.

Also your math is wrong, the starting year is 1050, not 1500.

1051 years into the game. 383165 days, 63935 moves left and right on adventure mode.

Assuming that a game day takes about two minutes, 383165x2=766330 minutes, 12772  hours.

Divide 12772 by 24 (hours in one day) and you get 532 days.

Well over a years worth of playing, which is neigh impossible to accomplish without having no life and not sleeping for a year and a half.

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 06:31:00 pm »

Another fact I'd like to mention, you saying that you can get through 500 years in FORTRESS mode in only a couple of weeks is just plain foolish.

Most people here who are veterans of the game would play any fortress for at least a few days, which you're assuming about 41 years go by a day.

"REPENT", WOOTY

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

quote:

<STRONG>
All your base are belong to us. You have no chance to survive make your time.</STRONG>

Take off every "Zig"

Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2007, 06:54:00 pm »

To quote the quote in your message "blah blah HAS a year 2101 fortress"

I NEVER said fortress mode in a few weeks. If you end an adventurer at 2101 and start a fortress in the same region, you will have a year 2101 fortress.

Accounting for the math error, its 639 hours. 4 weeks. Under a month, it's still very achievable, maybe an extra 30 bucks on the electricity bill.

Playing a fortress until 2101-More or less impossible.
Getting a fortress thats on the date 2101-Little effort, four weeks.

Never once did you say you would have to mod to play a fortress until, you said you would have to mod to own a fortress that was on the year. But you don't. If I had ever said it was possible to go that fast in fortress mode, I would hopelessly and undeniably wrong. But I didn't.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2007, 08:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wooty:
<STRONG>
Playing a fortress until 2101-More or less impossible.
Getting a fortress thats on the date 2101-Little effort, four weeks.
</STRONG>

Not quite. If you turn off invaders, artifacts, temperature, and weather, and set up a small self-sufficient settlement, all of your dwarves as farmers...

It can be maintained indefinitely. The dwarves will drink from the river, but you make them all farmers so at least one should do some planting when they all go sober.

If you leave immigration on, you'll still have dwarves around when your original seven die of old age, but it's a bit of a diceroll that you'll get dwarves that can plant. You'll probably have to check up on the fortress every so often to make sure it's still in working order but if you let it run nonstop you should have reached 2007 after 39 days. A solid month of running, and you'll probably have gone through so many generations of dwarves it's not even funny. :P

This is, of course, assuming a rate of ten seconds per day. If you leave all of those features off, including immigration, this is easy to reach, if not surpass. If immigration is left on, it might slow down significantly once you reach 200 dwarves.

Edit: Damn it, now I have to do this. *starts generating a map*

[ December 14, 2007: Message edited by: Lightning4 ]

puffs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2007, 12:24:00 am »

Just make a fortress, lock about 10,000 units of food and booze into a room with a single dwarf in the depths of your mountain, turn off immigration, trading, and moods, chasm all the leftover bits, and flood/kill the rest of the dwarves and let him stay locked away for a long while.

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: puffs ]

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2007, 04:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rondol:
<STRONG>What's the oldest world anybody's got going right now?</STRONG>

Just wanted to point out, that I never asked about a specific fortress. Just the world.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!
Pages: 1 [2]