Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancer books and powers? Wat do?  (Read 10391 times)

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer books and powers? Wat do?
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:28:57 pm »

So I finally sneaked into the blasted tower and stole most of the books that were stored on its floors.
After reading them with "I" (Proficient Reader) i get a short description about them, but thats it.
And this makes me confused... Where do I acquire the necromancers powers if not from reading the book?
Also the Reading skill is not going up, so maybe Im doing something wrong here?

I was so pumped for it ;(

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer books and powers? Wat do?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 02:34:30 pm »

Hit "x" and it will bring up a menu. The bottom option should be "acquired powers" or something like that. Your shiny new necromantic powers should show up there. I haven't found a necromancer's tower yet, so I can't be certain, but this seems most likely to me.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:10 pm »

You need to read a stone slab in the tower, the books don't do anything.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 02:39:27 pm »

you get the powers in the (p)acquired powers -> animate corpses
then you have to select all the bodies (like aim) and them press enter

PS:i'm trying to figure out another thing, i'm a necro and i dont feel the daily needs anymore, you too?
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 02:42:09 pm »

This is your problem, the stone slab has the 'n' icon and a non-English name, it's usually stored on the top floor of the tower.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 02:42:31 pm »

I found three books written by certain necros who wrote the secret down. The slab works too mind.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:50:47 pm »

I found three books written by certain necros who wrote the secret down. The slab works too mind.

I can confirm this.  I looked up my world's books under artifacts in legends mode, and most of the had people, places, or the necromancer who wrote them as the topic, but a few had "the secrets of life and death" as their topic.  If you retire your character, you should be able to find what the secret containing books are called and where they are stored.

In a related note, one of those books was simply titled "Doom" and was bound in red gems with an engraved skull.  I'm currently trying to track it down so I can carry it around and pretend my character reads ominous passages from it whenever she raises the dead.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 03:15:35 pm »

PS:i'm trying to figure out another thing, i'm a necro and i dont feel the daily needs anymore, you too?

As far as i know Necromancers require no food, no drink, no sleep and won`t age. A nice bonus. ;)

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 03:26:28 pm »

As far as i know Necromancers require no food, no drink, no sleep and won`t age. A nice bonus. ;)

ahh.. ok... Buahahahahah! IMMORTALITY! well kinda...... mhh.. LONGEVITY! yeha it's that but immortality sound cooler so...

semi IMMORTALITY!

Edit: now i have to find a vampire, i need a superior undead minion, an his blood too
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 03:32:47 pm by Krantz86 »
Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 03:54:04 pm »

I've found this.

I didnt get the power tho :O
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 09:13:27 pm by Kessadir »

finalfrog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 03:03:43 am »

I've found this.

I didnt get the power tho :O

I had the same problem with my character modded to have legendary in all skills. I dropped it next to a castle and returned with a normal human character who was able to learn from it just fine. =D Hope that helps.

Kessadir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 07:59:48 am »

I had the same problem with my character modded to have legendary in all skills. I dropped it next to a castle and returned with a normal human character who was able to learn from it just fine. =D Hope that helps.
It actually might be the problem of reading it as a ?elf?.
I've seen a lot of dwarven and human necromancers, but never elven necromancers, and I was currently playing as one.
I'm going to check out those books as a dwarf if I manage to get there, where I dropped them.

Plus theres some kind of a bug, where one of the tables just duplicates in my inventory, making me slower because of the weight, but when I drop one of the clones, they all disappear, and after picking it up, for some time, everything is fine.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:35:16 am by Kessadir »

Kodos343

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 11:35:13 am »

What exactly are the powers you can get from books/slabs? Is it just (no that it's not sufficiently badass) raising the dead? So if you read one book, there's no point bothering with any others? And how high a reading skill does one need? Finally, are Necromancer Towers the only place to get them?

Theropod Watcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:26:11 pm »

Hmmm, I'm not a hundred percent sure so I'll answer based on my experience. As far as I can tell unless one of your adventurers has moved the books around, the towers are the only place to find any books whatsoever. I believe adequate reading skill is minimum, which you better get during character creation, cause reading books and signs doesn't actually give you any experience for it.  Reading multiple books with the secrets hasn't done anything extra for me, but who cares!? I have 150 undead monsters at my command!

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »

Actually, you need only put a single point into reader when creating your character.  I've found several books containing the secrets of life and death, all in the same necromancer tower.  Also, raiding a tower is infinitely easier as a vampire, because the undead won't attack you.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: [1] 2