Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suffication  (Read 3512 times)

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suffication
« on: December 12, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

Anyone ever had a dwarf just like...stop breathing? I just had a recruit sufficate standing in the barracks. I'm 90% sure he wasn't injured or anything, I just got a death alert all of a sudden.
o matter the cost.

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suffication
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:16:00 pm »

Old age.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Aspartic:
<STRONG>stop breathing.... recruit.... barracks</STRONG>

He was sparring a long time ago, got a minor injury, and it took him forever to finally die.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Adder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 11:42:00 pm »

He probably had a lung injury or something like that that didn't show up on the first page of wounds.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:59:00 pm »

the other recruits dared him to hold his breath till he passed out, and it turns out he was just a little too good at holding it.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

He was playing a game to see how many marshmallows he could fit into his mouth and still say "Bloodthirsty Carp."

He lost this round.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 03:26:00 am »

I had this happen, but I just assumed he'd been sparring with one of my champion wrestlers and unfortunate consequences resulted.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 06:48:00 am »

I've seen this too.  It's uncommon, sure, but sometimes the wrestlers get a little carried away when they spar.
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 07:24:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>I've seen this too.  It's uncommon, sure, but sometimes the wrestlers get a little carried away when they spar.</STRONG>

That was my off hand guess, but frankly I like some of the other possibilities people posted.   ;)

Funny how my best crafter gets 60 days in jail or not making an item I can't possibly make right now, but this poor lad's death goes unpunished. (My nobility is making it very tempting to create some fresh obsidian lately.)

o matter the cost.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 07:29:00 am »

Could be two things: either both his lungs were mangled or (what seems to happen a bit more often with sparring wrestlers) his throat was ripped out.
The latter is difficult to see, as a missing body part is shown as a slightly darker shade of gray. Have to look close.
If you didn't know already: When looking at the wounds screen, you can scroll down by using your numpad's
  • . If you can't scroll, there are no wounds.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

SoloDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 10:40:00 am »

I heard that making many smaller barracks and smaller squads, 2 man training squads, will stop this from happening although I haven't tested it myself.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:22:00 pm »

I had this happen to a dwarf who was in his bed. There was another dwarf in the room with him at the time.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 04:04:00 pm »

On the topic of suffocation and mangled lungs, one question which I've meant to ask (sorry for thread hijack).. I have a legendary miner who is superdwarvenly tough, ultra-mighty etc etc. He was trying to operate a siege engine near a goblin horde, when he took one step too far and ended up with both lungs mangled (no other injuries were apparent). He zoomed off to bed to rest for approximately two seconds and resumed his siege operating and mining duties with normal efficiency. So it appears that he's so tough that he doesn't need his lungs at all. However, he's constantly blinking with the red cross icon indicating a serious wound.

So my question is, will the mangled lungs heal as time passes, or is he doomed to blink for the rest of his life? It looks like he doesn't need resting and is doing fine, but is there a danger that he suffocates at a later point or other effects of the wounds that I should be aware of?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by avari:
<STRONG>So my question is, will the mangled lungs heal as time passes, or is he doomed to blink for the rest of his life?</STRONG>

Organs are injured forever. Dwarves don't have surgery.. Yet.

quote:
<STRONG> It looks like he doesn't need resting and is doing fine, but is there a danger that he suffocates at a later point or other effects of the wounds that I should be aware of?</STRONG>

He'll suffocate eventually, in a few months or a few decades.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by avari:
<STRONG>So my question is, will the mangled lungs heal as time passes, or is he doomed to blink for the rest of his life? It looks like he doesn't need resting and is doing fine, but is there a danger that he suffocates at a later point or other effects of the wounds that I should be aware of?</STRONG>

He's living on borrowed time!  It's his last chance to create a truely monumental piece of mining craftdwarfship.

Pages: [1] 2