Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: DF2012 : what has changed for fortresses ?  (Read 8976 times)

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 : what has changed for fortresses ?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »

everyone has missed an important aspect ... it just seems to run faster as well.  when toady off-handedly mentioned optimizations in one of the posts a few months back, he wasn't kidding.
Unless you have giant mosquitoes. Things swarm in by the hundreds and fly around murdering your FPS
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Viscaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »

I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but I think a side effect of migrating historical figures means you get a lot more dwarves with at least more military skill coming to your fort. I have a basic policy of putting any migrant with military skill into a 2 dorf squad, and by year 2 Spring of my first fort in the new version, I had 10 squads.

Anybody else seeing a lot of military skills relative to the last version?

Yep I am especially getting more marksdwarf skilled migrants (over 10 in population of 57). About 10 others also spread over various weapon skills. Funniest thing is, in my fort of 57 dwarves, 19 of them are children! I think this is a consequence of genning a world with an early end year, so there are alot more youngsters about.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

I don't know if this is happening to anyone else, but I think a side effect of migrating historical figures means you get a lot more dwarves with at least more military skill coming to your fort. I have a basic policy of putting any migrant with military skill into a 2 dorf squad, and by year 2 Spring of my first fort in the new version, I had 10 squads.

Anybody else seeing a lot of military skills relative to the last version?

Yep I am especially getting more marksdwarf skilled migrants (over 10 in population of 57). About 10 others also spread over various weapon skills. Funniest thing is, in my fort of 57 dwarves, 19 of them are children! I think this is a consequence of genning a world with an early end year, so there are alot more youngsters about.

I have a lot of kids running around too. About 25 in a population of about 80. I also have had two births already, which is unusual for me, but probably has a lot to do with more married dwarves coming to the fort.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 05:56:15 pm »

I had a migrant arrive with a foot chopped off. Seems to have happened quite recently, too. Maybe on the trek?

Worldgen is slow as shit, but the game seems just as stable as 31.25 to me overall. And if it'll run smoother with lots of dwarves, what's not to like?

roughedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:19:31 am »

Is it just me or there is now some overabundant child birth and child migrants. I have 130 dwarves or so and 40 of them are children...

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 05:56:43 am »

Migrants now seem to arrive with no labours enabled, which is nice/annoying depending on your point of view.  Nice for me.

I didn't even know about the multi-Z designations.  Having just dug a 100-level staircase the hard way......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 06:03:10 am »

Has the dungeon master been re-introduced?

Quid of the batterer, elvish diplomat?

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 06:10:38 am »

Nobody considers having ramps at the edges of pools and rivers an important change?
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 06:14:36 am »

I can't really play the new DF 'cos I'm a ham-handed person that can't play Fortress Mode without Dwarf Therapist.

But, from what I saw in my painful first impressions, the game IS faster. And...oh god...designating 70-Z levels of channelling to then designate 70-Z levels of stairs in 6 keystrokes is just awesome!

EDIT: DT IS OUT! _o/
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:19:03 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 06:31:12 am »

Nobody considers having ramps at the edges of pools and rivers an important change?
My axelord who fell into a murky pool would have, but he's dead!

Does the multi z levels thing apply to rooms as well by any chance?

Either way that change alone makes me about 100x more likely to bother digging down to magma. Dear god that was annoying.

JackoftheBox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 06:37:22 am »

And don't forget the new awesome jeweler. Now you can make microcline toy boats encrusted with cut oval shaped microcline. AWESOME!
This morning I found myself looking at the numberplates of the cars on my drive in to work and seeing them as tileset characters in ASCII... a silver Renault I was behind had an interesting scene of a Human wrestling a Minotaur near a bin.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:31 am »

Yeah but it's still microline.

Can you set what kind of stone the jeweler uses to cut/decorate? If so I guess it's a viable way of getting rid of the ugly stuff.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 06:44:53 am »

And don't forget the new awesome jeweler. Now you can make microcline toy boats encrusted with cut oval shaped microcline. AWESOME!
Yo dawg, I heard you like microcline...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:49:33 am by Urist McGyver »
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Broan13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 03:28:38 pm »

I like microline...I like to make my walls out of it.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 04:51:34 pm »

I guess it depends what kind of player you are, but there's definitely some very nice additions.  Jewelry now has potential to be a flourishing industry.  The justice system is properly functional.  The units screen is orderly and clean. Necromancy can challenge people who relied on a wall of weapon traps for defense.  For flavor, migrant histories and the "Missing" mechanic are great touches - especially when fortresses get old and sprawling.  Fortress mode and adventure mode have increased interaction (with the groundwork for more to come). There's more, but those come to my mind first.
Pages: 1 [2] 3