Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3769373 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11100 on: July 01, 2014, 01:52:09 pm »

For especially obscure bugs it helps, if possible to have a save game to recreate it.... and it's posterior weaponization.
Saves are actually useful for many bugs, especially crash bugs. Also, whenever possible, try to put the saves on the DFFD so they don't vanish into the internet limbo between the time you upload them and when someone gets around to looking at them. I'd say, when in doubt, supply a save.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11101 on: July 01, 2014, 02:23:43 pm »

Saves are actually useful for many bugs, especially crash bugs. Also, whenever possible, try to put the saves on the DFFD so they don't vanish into the internet limbo between the time you upload them and when someone gets around to looking at them. I'd say, when in doubt, supply a save.

Yup, this is important.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11102 on: July 01, 2014, 03:15:49 pm »

I'm quite intrigued by the new civ sites as I've heard them described.  Are their specific traits hard-coded, or can you modify them in different ways with the entity raws?

Hardcoded for the foreseeable future, though I think there are plans to open that up eventually.

Just to clarify, does this mean, the DEFAULT_SITE determines every new feature of a mountain-hall (including hill-dwarves), forest retreat, etc? Take for example the dark fortress sites, which for goblins have prisons for snatched children and suchlike.  If a civ lives in a dark-fortress and has no [BABYSNATCHER] tag, will those cells will be empty?

Also now that bodies are pulpable, I'm assuming, this affects the vulnerability of things like sponges and husks by way of cumulative damage?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:36:00 pm by samanato »

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11103 on: July 01, 2014, 03:21:43 pm »

The impending release is polarizing for me. On one hand, I'll be able to try out new features that I'm really excited for like multi tile trees and climbing. It'll also give me an opportunity to experiment with the new features and new defence mechanics with climbing (though for some reason, I feel like it really won't change much)

On the other hand, the new version is incompatible with DF 0.34, so I'll have to permanently retire my forts, some of which I've got really attached to. Moreover, utilities like DF hack and LNP, which I use a lot, are gonna be incompatible for weeks.

I feel like I have to give up old memories, but I look forward to making new ones.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11104 on: July 01, 2014, 03:31:15 pm »

Trow them into a pit of lava. Here, pull the lever.
Precisely because of this I haven't played DF in like what it seems like months now.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11105 on: July 01, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

One idea from me: try to recreate your greatest forts/heroes/whatever from 34.11 in DF2014?
Of course you can't hope for randomness to be that nice to you, but you could create a fort with the name of your old fort and build it in a similar-but-not-really fashion?

As a sort of reminder of the past days...
I don't know, man, you have to make the choice.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11106 on: July 01, 2014, 04:00:41 pm »

I have not played for months but I will be playing non stop once a few bug fix releases get put out. Though I would say that bugs drive me insane so I tend to have a hard time sticking with forts due to bugs...wish Toady would spend a good 6 months on bug fixing...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:04:11 pm by dennislp3 »

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11107 on: July 01, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »

I want to see how much more random and awesome this release will be. I am waiting for more epic heroes o fun characters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11108 on: July 01, 2014, 04:48:47 pm »

It's been awhile but I think you need to make an account (just an email verification thing if I recall).  Once you have an account you hit view issues and you can click on the blue buttons near the top to change filter settings like categories.

If you find an issue that isn't reported you click on report issue and it will give you a little document to fill out.  With dropdowns for stuff like category and severity.  And some space to put in descriptions and how to reproduce the bug and stuff like that.

I think it's made to be used by other people working on the project as well as bug reporters, because the main button brings up a page of stuff 'assigned to you' which would probably be stuff you are expected to fix if yer working on the project.  I've never seen a need to use anything but view issues, report issues, and changelog myself.

P.S. View issues may not need an account, but I do think you need one to report an issue, otherwise I would not have gotten one.

Viewing issues don't need an account, but to comment on one or report an issue, yes. Also, I think all you need is a forum account? Not sure if it uses the forum account, but yeah, just a quick register and email verification.

Aside from posting a save up on DFFD, you can also post screenshots if you want. Though you'll have to use an image editing program to paste the printscrn screenshot, save and then upload to your preferred image hosting site.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11109 on: July 01, 2014, 04:52:01 pm »

Viewing issues don't need an account, but to comment on one or report an issue, yes. Also, I think all you need is a forum account? Not sure if it uses the forum account, but yeah, just a quick register and email verification.
It requires a separate account.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11110 on: July 01, 2014, 05:07:58 pm »

It requires a separate account.

Not sure why I was thinking that, but yeah, separate account. Although most people use their forum name on the bug tracker, it's not required.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11111 on: July 01, 2014, 05:12:27 pm »

which Toady would spend a good 6 months on bug fixing...

On what are you basing your supposition ? How long did it take last time ?

Chaz GELF

• Bay Watcher
  • Neurotic Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #11112 on: July 01, 2014, 05:14:40 pm »

On the other hand, the new version is incompatible with DF 0.34, so I'll have to permanently retire my forts, some of which I've got really attached to. Moreover, utilities like DF hack and LNP, which I use a lot, are gonna be incompatible for weeks.

Yeah, I'm a bit concerned about how long it'll take to bring the mods up to date, and as a result I'm half-pondering waiting for a bit until at least DFHack and DwarfTherapist are enabled, along with a couple other bits and pieces (Though the two I mentioned are the main ones I can't live without, honestly!)

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11113 on: July 01, 2014, 05:18:42 pm »

Just play adventure mode, no therapist required.

Join us...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11114 on: July 01, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »

which Toady would spend a good 6 months on bug fixing...

On what are you basing your supposition ? How long did it take last time ?

I suspect he meant "wish" instead of "which".
Pages: 1 ... 739 740 [741] 742 743 ... 748