Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806300 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #11040 on: June 25, 2014, 11:17:10 am »

From the new devlog, it looks like the monsters of twilight got scared out of their lairs and ran into the trees. This should happen in the release, and you should be able to get missions from these monsters to clean out the beasts.

I expect a lot of adventure mode play this time around.

Hehe. That's a great bug!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11041 on: June 25, 2014, 11:39:23 am »

maybe they can rework the bug into an occasional thing that makes sense at some times depending on the night creature's situation, personality, rivals, etc?

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11042 on: June 25, 2014, 11:50:15 am »

In my opinion, being able to sense the horrors deep underground and therefore cowering in fear is an awesome feature. The problem, however, is that this behavior should be for the occasional "insane, possessed weirdo", not EVERY NIGHT CREATURE. The crippling awareness of some great evil lurking beneath the miles of stone is awesome. Night creatures in trees is not.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11043 on: June 25, 2014, 12:35:55 pm »

The latest devlog is a awesome. :)

If the scared night creatures bug could inspire an actual feature, it could make for some good nightmare fuel - imagine: an adventurer sees a night creature suddenly let out a scream and cower in fear... because somewhere, someone has dug too deep. :D

Also,
Sometimes you just want to grab somebody and scream "what's going on?!"
Some decent DF insanity... :D
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11044 on: June 25, 2014, 01:12:48 pm »

In my opinion, being able to sense the horrors deep underground and therefore cowering in fear is an awesome feature. The problem, however, is that this behavior should be for the occasional "insane, possessed weirdo", not EVERY NIGHT CREATURE. The crippling awareness of some great evil lurking beneath the miles of stone is awesome. Night creatures in trees is not.
This. And it would require the character to be able to explain why it's up a tree.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11045 on: June 25, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »

It looks like the new metagame for adventures in the new version is going to be tree camping.
._.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #11046 on: June 25, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

Or leaping from trunk to trunk, singing.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11047 on: June 25, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »

Or leaping from trunk to trunk, singing.

How about brachiating?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11048 on: June 25, 2014, 04:02:42 pm »

I would be perfectly happy with night creatures that live in trees/ambush adventurers from above. And maybe a night creature that runs around screaming in fear of certain things, then turns around and bites someone's face off.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #11049 on: June 25, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »

That would be spooky-scary.  "Don't go in the forest, the things that live in the trees will jump on your head and rip your face off!"
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #11050 on: June 25, 2014, 05:29:32 pm »

This. And it would require the character to be able to explain why it's up a tree.
It'd be pretty funny if they'd tell you exactly what spooked them...

"Uh, you're a bogeyman, aren't you? What are you doing shivering in a tree?"
"The forgotten beast Stuxslo has come! Stuxslo has come! The feathery quadropod has three lidless eyes and undulates rhythmically! *GULP*"
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11051 on: June 25, 2014, 06:49:05 pm »

That would be spooky-scary.  "Don't go in the forest, the things that live in the trees will jump on your head and rip your face off!"
New modding task: drop bears: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11052 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:37 pm »

I'm not sure if forgotten beasts as they stand now would warrant that kind of worry but yea, its actualy a pretty cool effect to have the world's minor, more sensitive nasties suddenly going crazy because somewhere in the area or in the world a grand nastie has broken free. Like a sort of a prelude for a huge evil HFS tier monstrosity apocalypse comming up.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11053 on: June 25, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »

I'm not sure if forgotten beasts as they stand now would warrant that kind of worry but yea, its actualy a pretty cool effect to have the world's minor, more sensitive nasties suddenly going crazy because somewhere in the area or in the world a grand nastie has broken free. Like a sort of a prelude for a huge evil HFS tier monstrosity apocalypse comming up.
Actually, this could be the basis of one of those "disturbance in the Force" effects... something unspeakable happens in a Dark Tower, and the wildlife are spooked for miles around.

Now the lack of birds chirping could be a legitimate clue to be on the lookout.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11054 on: June 25, 2014, 10:49:00 pm »

I think the extant stranglers are meant to fill that niche, or at least the idea of it.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Strangler
Pages: 1 ... 735 736 [737] 738 739 ... 748