Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809330 times)

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10665 on: May 16, 2014, 04:44:32 am »

I could have sworn that the collaboration went fine, but that nobody has heard from the collaborator in about 2 years and we are all just happy that the code he wrote and included works.
He is reachable, i wrote to him and he answered. Also anyone can modify the graphics part as it's available online. Though not sure if toady would accept changes. One thing that is not finished is TTF support for opengl mode (afaik it is not implemented).

AFAIK Baughn's work has been rewritten from scratch by lnxt, TTF over opengl is implemented, but it's only working on linux at the moment, it needs Toady's support on other platforms.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10666 on: May 16, 2014, 08:31:54 am »

What is SDL, anyway?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10667 on: May 16, 2014, 08:53:08 am »

What is SDL, anyway?

Simple DirectMedia Layer. It's a programming library designed to simplify the process of setting up a Direct3D or OpenGL-based program. Initializing such a program is a hassle because of the all the code you have to create for I/O and hardware detection, and SDL does all this for you in a neat little package.

http://www.libsdl.org/
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:02:13 am by PigtailLlama »

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10668 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:33 am »

Oooh, OK. Thanks!
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10669 on: May 16, 2014, 04:34:03 pm »

[SMELL_TRIGGER:50] how good is your nose?  low is better.  minimum 1, default is 50, humans set to 90 because they suck
What about elves, dwarves, &c?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10670 on: May 16, 2014, 04:40:58 pm »

I'd assume elves have somewhere between 1 and 50 and dwarves probably around 50 (how do they work underground?)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10671 on: May 16, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »

Elves probably have keen smell or whatever, since they're all in-tune with nature.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #10672 on: May 16, 2014, 06:43:47 pm »

so if you are able to lead/be part of a trade caravan how would this be controlled?
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10673 on: May 16, 2014, 11:54:16 pm »

so if you are able to lead/be part of a trade caravan how would this be controlled?

It's not possible to do this yet, though I guess it's a legit question for future versions.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10674 on: May 17, 2014, 06:36:17 pm »

It's not possible to do this yet, though I guess it's a legit question for future versions.

At present you can lead a group of people across the map as a group.  You can, theoretically, tag along with caravans, though I don't know if they are among the groups that are now active.  All that remains for leading a caravan is having wagons and beasts to carry your goods.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10675 on: May 18, 2014, 07:39:28 am »

Perhaps this has been answered already, but:

Will there be new mechanical devices in the upcoming update? I'm especially interesting in something to life things vertically, like an elevator, to complement the current minecarts.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10676 on: May 18, 2014, 07:53:54 am »

-snip- I don't know if they are among the groups that are now active.  -snip-
I believe that they are yet still abstractions that just appear at your fortress with no regard for the outside world. I think Toady mentioned this in the last FotF update. I'll go check.

EDIT:
I was right.
In the answer to the first question of the previous update, he said:

"caravans still don't have an actual presence"

Which I assume means that they do not yet move across the map like armies, and cannot be found and followed by an adventurer.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:58:21 am by CrzyMonkeyNinja »
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10677 on: May 18, 2014, 09:09:29 am »

Will there be new mechanical devices in the upcoming update? I'm especially interesting in something to life things vertically, like an elevator, to complement the current minecarts.

No, no new tech coming afaik.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10678 on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:42 am »

Reworking and expanding the mechanical framework is planned for some future release. As with most things no known timeline for when though (ie some time in the next 1-20 years).

Lifts are specifically mentioned on the development page, so those are most likely to be included when we get it all at least.

Moving fortress sections (lifts, crushing traps, etc.)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10679 on: May 19, 2014, 04:45:19 am »

Just a quick question, how long did Two5Six last?
I'm not sure if I should be concerned over the lack of an update or realize that it wasn't a one-day-long thing.
Pages: 1 ... 710 711 [712] 713 714 ... 748