Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809383 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10620 on: May 10, 2014, 06:45:50 pm »

Tomorrow would be a fine day for a release.  :-\

Couldn't the same be said on any other day ever?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10621 on: May 10, 2014, 07:02:48 pm »

Tomorrow would be a fine day for a release.  :-\

Couldn't the same be said on any other day ever?

Not if I'm working at that day.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10622 on: May 11, 2014, 09:22:49 am »

In adventure mode, will the incredibly detailed combat reports that detail things such as the severing of multiple nerves, et cetera, continue to be shown to the player in future updates? Or will the system still work functionally, without being fully shown to the user, in order to show that the character isn't fully aware of all the damage that they are doing with a given attack until they examine the corpse?

Part of the fun and awesomeness of DF is the fact that it is so detailed, right down to the combat. Though I'm sure it will be streamlined a bit at some point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10623 on: May 11, 2014, 09:33:40 am »

In adventure mode, will the incredibly detailed combat reports that detail things such as the severing of multiple nerves, et cetera, continue to be shown to the player in future updates? Or will the system still work functionally, without being fully shown to the user, in order to show that the character isn't fully aware of all the damage that they are doing with a given attack until they examine the corpse?

Part of the fun and awesomeness of DF is the fact that it is so detailed, right down to the combat. Though I'm sure it will be streamlined a bit at some point.

I would like that you had more streamlined combat descriptions. You can't know for sure that hammer strike caused internal bleeding at the moment you hit, and you won't pay attention to details of a fight besides you. The excess information clutter the screen and make it hard for you to get the relevant information.

That said, I love the complexity of DF's combat. As with the rest of the game, the problem is in the interface.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10624 on: May 11, 2014, 09:36:41 am »

I would like that you had more streamlined combat descriptions. You can't know for sure that hammer strike caused internal bleeding at the moment you hit, and you won't pay attention to details of a fight besides you. The excess information clutter the screen and make it hard for you to get the relevant information.

That said, I love the complexity of DF's combat. As with the rest of the game, the problem is in the interface.
A detail level setting would be nice, but I think it is quintessentially DF to have that level of detail in the combat.  It will allow for nightmare-inducing graphic scenes when the game gets around to a 3D interface :)
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10625 on: May 11, 2014, 12:44:27 pm »

If your fort were to be crushed by Demons or a Forgotten Beast, will they be able to leave the fort site and cause havoc elsewhere?
Another question, will the NPC dwarf forts that were generated end up facing the same drama as the user made forts?

If so, that would be awesome as hell. :D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:46:25 pm by Guylock »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10626 on: May 11, 2014, 01:50:42 pm »

If your fort were to be crushed by Demons or a Forgotten Beast, will they be able to leave the fort site and cause havoc elsewhere?
Another question, will the NPC dwarf forts that were generated end up facing the same drama as the user made forts?

1) Unless things have changed since Toady last talked about it, megabeasts don't travel. So a beast that crushes your fort will stay at the site, using it like a cave.

2) they will face the same drama from other civilizations, such as goblins and angry elves, but not the other drama from beasts or digging too deep. Snatchers probably aren't part of the army system either.

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10627 on: May 11, 2014, 04:51:09 pm »

1) Unless things have changed since Toady last talked about it, megabeasts don't travel. So a beast that crushes your fort will stay at the site, using it like a cave.

2) they will face the same drama from other civilizations, such as goblins and angry elves, but not the other drama from beasts or digging too deep. Snatchers probably aren't part of the army system either.
There's also the drama from themselves. I'd love to see caved-in floors from the AI pretending to have channeled in the wrong order, bedrooms that probably shouldn't be flooded, etc.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10628 on: May 11, 2014, 07:10:32 pm »

I would love to see evidence of such disasters in pre-genned forts. Dwarves will be dwarves, you know? :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10629 on: May 11, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »

Why was the old version numbering system (40d and previous) abandoned?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10630 on: May 12, 2014, 08:44:27 pm »

Why was the old version numbering system (40d and previous) abandoned?

Because the old development goals system was abandoned. Toady used to divide the list into core goals, required features, and extra bloat features, and the number of each that had been completed made up the version number. 0.28.181.40d had 28 cores, 181 reqs, and 40 bloats checked off the list. Eventually it became too unwieldy, and Toady scrapped it for the current dev goals list, right around the time of the 2010 release and the website update, if I remember correctly.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Plancky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10631 on: May 12, 2014, 09:38:34 pm »

modders what does this mean? from todays dev log
Reaction modding alert: globs have an amount more like liquids/powders/bars now (came up during the contaminant stuff since it needed to be homogenized).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10632 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »

Liquids, powders and bars are in amounts of 150 each; I assume this means that you can set how much stuff they're globbing at you now, which is nice.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10633 on: May 12, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »

Right, I see we have some changes to the contaminant stuff.

How exactly does this work? Does this mean we will no longer have permanently contaminated wells? Does it mean contaminants will dry up or disappear? Are we going to have more control about dwarves cleaning up areas, including outside aboveground buildings and courtyards?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10634 on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:57 pm »

Liquids, powders and bars are in amounts of 150 each; I assume this means that you can set how much stuff they're globbing at you now, which is nice.

Wrong, missed the word "reaction" (most important word there); glob items now have dimensions like liquids, bars etc. so that smaller parts can be used in reactions and such.
Pages: 1 ... 707 708 [709] 710 711 ... 748