Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3808145 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10305 on: April 22, 2014, 07:21:17 am »

Multi-tiles trees bother me; Multi-tiles buildings (bridges, workshops, depot, ...) are represented by several tiles put next to each other. And that fits to buildings.

But trees are something different as their ASCII representation is like , , , ...
Following the same logic as for buildings, multi-tiles trees should be something like :
♣♣
♣♣

which is weird.

So my question is :
How multi-tiles trees are going to be represented in ASCII ?

Toady posted images of them (quuite) some time ago, and now they are BIG, with trunk, branch (of varying thicknesses) and leaves tiles (=, -, o etc.), instead of just those tiny one-square images.
This is one set of the images Toad posted:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Keep in mind those images are about 1 and a half years old, and only includes one style of tree.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10306 on: April 22, 2014, 07:50:11 am »

Here's another set on the DFMA: http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-11402-trees_slope
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10307 on: April 22, 2014, 08:55:36 am »

That's ... impressively realistic!
So there's multi-tile trunks as well. And the leaf-zone looks very much interwoven, just like a real forest.
I really wonder how that's going to work out when you fell such trees.

And I suppose, we have differences in the type of trees? Here we have apparently broad-leaf forest but what about conifers? Saguaros? Mushrooms?

For sure, it'll be a challenge for tile-set developers!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10308 on: April 22, 2014, 09:11:53 am »

That's ... impressively realistic!
So there's multi-tile trunks as well. And the leaf-zone looks very much interwoven, just like a real forest.
I really wonder how that's going to work out when you fell such trees.

And I suppose, we have differences in the type of trees? Here we have apparently broad-leaf forest but what about conifers? Saguaros? Mushrooms?

For sure, it'll be a challenge for tile-set developers!
Ah, I saw a 3x3 tree trunk in there.  This requires a dwarf to tunnel under it and carve an up/down staircase right through the middle of it.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

0rion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10309 on: April 22, 2014, 09:16:28 am »

Just awesome ! I had not understood it was this realistic, I was thinking about some big tree (like a box of 2x2x2)...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10310 on: April 22, 2014, 09:44:03 am »

Truly awesome, I however fear now the trees are too big, or at least I feel they are too big. Or I'm just presenting resistance to change?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10311 on: April 22, 2014, 09:51:27 am »

I for one welcome, yet dread, the arrival of all these big-ass trees.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10312 on: April 22, 2014, 10:11:45 am »

I for one welcome, yet dread, the arrival of our new big-ass trees overlords.
FFY
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10313 on: April 22, 2014, 10:20:34 am »

I just know I'm going to have a fun time making them all work in Stonesense and isoworld.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10314 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:28 am »

With taller trees, I think there should be an increase in the speed at which Dwarves build constructions, because it takes them years to build anything as tall as those trees
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10315 on: April 22, 2014, 12:16:47 pm »

With taller trees, I think there should be an increase in the speed at which Dwarves build constructions, because it takes them years to build anything as tall as those trees
Those trees take years to grow (at least that's what I think, I remember Toady mentioning somewhere that trees grow slowly), so if you think about it, it's kind of realistic.
You could probably build much faster then a tree grows, assuming you aren't using a single dwarf.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10316 on: April 22, 2014, 12:35:05 pm »

On the other hand now we get much more wood per tree.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10317 on: April 22, 2014, 01:02:15 pm »

Truly awesome, I however fear now the trees are too big, or at least I feel they are too big. Or I'm just presenting resistance to change?
There was attention given to hight. Trees can be very tall: think rain forests. As discussed in DF talk, the tallest real life trees would be about 30 tiles tall. I don't know if those made it in.

But the tall trees to present a disparity with single tile creatures. A giraffe isn't going to be able to reach any branches, and a dragon will look the same size as a dwarf next to those trees.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10318 on: April 22, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »

There was attention given to hight. Trees can be very tall: think rain forests. As discussed in DF talk, the tallest real life trees would be about 30 tiles tall. I don't know if those made it in.

But the tall trees to present a disparity with single tile creatures. A giraffe isn't going to be able to reach any branches, and a dragon will look the same size as a dwarf next to those trees.

To me that's an issue of multi-tile creatures (or lack thereof) rather than a tree problem.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10319 on: April 22, 2014, 01:41:47 pm »

To me that's an issue of multi-tile creatures (or lack thereof) rather than a tree problem.

Dreams of a distant future having a giant beast come to your fort, moving through the forest and knocking over said tall trees like they were twigs *drool*
Pages: 1 ... 686 687 [688] 689 690 ... 748