Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807839 times)

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #10200 on: April 13, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

Next step is making monsters that can be defeated by befriending them.

I... it... this is... crazy talk.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10201 on: April 13, 2014, 05:12:43 pm »

Why not? You could mod in a race of classic evil sci-fi robots that are trying to kill everybody. And then you'd be all like *hug* "I love you mister robot! I want us to be friends!" and the robot will be all like "DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!" *beep boop sparks* and then its head will explode from the confusion.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10202 on: April 13, 2014, 06:19:43 pm »

Why not? You could mod in a race of classic evil sci-fi robots that are trying to kill everybody. And then you'd be all like *hug* "I love you mister robot! I want us to be friends!" and the robot will be all like "DOES NOT COMPUTE! DOES NOT COMPUTE!" *beep boop sparks* and then its head will explode from the confusion.
As long the exploding head shrouds elves in deathly shrapnel I'm in for it.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:24:55 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10203 on: April 13, 2014, 06:55:54 pm »

The end of the Developement log seemed like the end of a comedy show or movie with what he described happen.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10204 on: April 13, 2014, 08:12:13 pm »

The end of the Developement log seemed like the end of a comedy show or movie with what he described happen.

I’m thinking, how are these even bugs? It is not that uncommon for drunks to behave like that. i.e. Lets get to the release :D.

Defeating monsters by befriending them? A few of us are thinking Monster, meet Lava. Lava, meet Monster. It would be helpful to be able to tame more monsters in fortress mode though.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10205 on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:27 pm »

More like a loyalty cascade in which the robots must kill all friends of humans.  And now it is one.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10206 on: April 13, 2014, 10:14:18 pm »

I checked through the (probably outdated!) dev roadmap page and didn't see a section for "Legends" mode plans, so I was wondering:

Is it possible, in the future, to add what would amount to a "high scores" page to Legends, or filters/searches for any other interesting bits? Like sorting entities by total kills, longest lived, shortest life, most destructive war, basically anything else brag-worthy?

Sorry if this has been answered or asked in the past 600+ pages haha :) Legends are so interesting, just hoping for an easy way to find the most interesting of it all easily :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10207 on: April 13, 2014, 10:34:40 pm »

Is it possible, in the future, to add what would amount to a "high scores" page to Legends, or filters/searches for any other interesting bits? Like sorting entities by total kills, longest lived, shortest life, most destructive war, basically anything else brag-worthy?

Sorry if this has been answered or asked in the past 600+ pages haha :) Legends are so interesting, just hoping for an easy way to find the most interesting of it all easily :)

There's a built-in Legends export tool, and there are community-made tools for processing the exported information.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10208 on: April 14, 2014, 01:04:54 am »

There's a built-in Legends export tool, and there are community-made tools for processing the exported information.

Note that Legends Viewer (one of the linked processing/viewing tools) can indeed sort units by just about anything, display most destructive wars, filter based on criteria, etc.  It's awesome. 
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #10209 on: April 14, 2014, 01:56:34 am »

I think the release should be put off for just a few more months so that the hug code can co-opted by the wrestling code which would allow our superhumanly strong adventurers to give spine breaking bear hugs.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10210 on: April 14, 2014, 01:57:37 am »

I think the release should be put off for just a few more months

Do not prolong our suffering.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #10211 on: April 14, 2014, 05:09:48 am »

I think the release should be put off for just a few more months so that the hug code can co-opted by the wrestling code which would allow our superhumanly strong adventurers to give spine breaking bear hugs.

I feel like that would take Toady two days tops if he wanted to do it...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #10212 on: April 14, 2014, 09:26:14 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dyeing and dye chemistry is also a hobby of mine, and as we speak I am procrastinating on working on my organic chemistry term paper on the synthesis and properties of 6,6' dibromoindigo (Tyrian Purple), so I feel I have a bit to contribute.
Long winded organic chemistry spoilered:

As for other purples, another commenter mentioned lichen purples used to extend dibromoindigo dyes.  He was referring to orchil, which is a deep reddish magenta dye produced by soaking certain lichens in ammonia (traditionally obtained from stale urine) for several months with frequent incorporation of oxygen. Orchil is a substantive dye, meaning it does not require a metal salt as a mordant, rather it directly bonds to the fiber.  This makes it somewhat selective in fiber, only bonding well to protein based fibers like wool and silk, as well as leather, feathers, and to a lesser extent bone, but due to the strong bond it is very washfast.  Unfortunately, it is not light fast, and is known for fading dramatically with excessive exposure.  It was used to extend Tyrian purple as it is much cheaper, has a similar color, is intense and solid (Tyrian purple had a tendency to be blotchy), and the lightfast Tyrian purple would help disguise the fading of the orchil.

True orchil is made from Rocella tinctoria, but any number of lichens can be used to produce similar dyes, which have been called cudbear, litmus, and a handful of other things.  I have actually made purple dye from at least 3 species, Umbillicaria spp., Evernia prunastri, and a Xanthoparmelia.  I got an intense blood-magenta from Umbillicaria, a not very saturated delicate gem tone violet from Evernia, which has since faded to nearly grey, and a slightly dirty/brownish rose from the Xanthoparmelia.  Here's a photo of a few dye samples, spoilered for size:
[/size]

(I expect elves to REALLY hate the color purple. Made either from boiling their beloved trees, or from boiling poor innocent little ocean snails. I expect them to really like indigo blue, tannin based browns (from leaves and acorn hulls), and lichen based yellows, because they are atrocity and cruelty free.

So actually, with orchil, you can get good lichen based purples for the elves, as well as various reds and even a pale baby blue from Xanthoria (treat it like an orchil dye, but exposure to UV soon after removal from dye bath changes it from rose pink to pale blue), though they won't be extraordinarily lightfast  Since they only work on protein fibers, you won't be able to dye elven rope reed, but it really seems that they ought to prefer wool or spider silk, nonviolently harvested from beloved animal companions.  However, lichen dyes are usually by no means elf friendly.  Rock lichens tend to provide more intense dyes so are the most used, but are the slowest growing and harvesting usually means scraping the rock clean of lichen.  Overharvesting of dye lichens was typical wherever they were widely used, and the decline in abundance of dye species with overharvesting was noted even in ancient times (I'll have to look for the citation to that, but I know I read it somewhere).  I actually had an old hippie lady who was a mushroom dye enthusiast give me a very angry lecture on Destroying the Environment and Murdering Innocent Lichens and pretty much shun me from her table after I tried to show her my spiffy purple socks (this was at a mushroom fair, and she was an elf if I've ever met one).

You can produce elf friendly lichen purples, by using tree growing species and gathering them from the ground or from fallen dead branches (I do this because it is a lot less work than scraping rocks, aside from being less destructive).  Unfortunately, this limits the intensity of color that you can achieve.  In my dye samples shown, the first and most intense one was rock growing, while the other, less saturated (and lightfast) were quick growing bark dwellers.  You can get some pretty good yellows from found lichens, though.  Usnea will give various yellows potentially ranging from clear golden to sherbertey orange when boiled gently in water with optional alum mordant (overheating tends to brown the colors), and Xanthoparmelia gives a nice green-gold with a pleasant sheen and softness when treated the same (as opposed to the rose purple from the ammonia method).

To finally actually get to a more or less relevant topic, here are the colors you can achieve from plants currently in the game, with sources for most colors:

That's all the new plants, I haven't looked through the old plant list, but I know it has some worth mentioning, like an intense yellow from mango leaves and deep browns and blacks from oaks.  I'm sure I missed lots of stuff too.

I've been thinking I should go to the suggestions subforum and start or revive a thread on dyes, if anyone is interested.

Also, since linseed and it's oil has been added, all we need for oil paints is a job to mix powdered pigment with oil (we might want to conveniently ignore any other binders or additives that might be desired in real paint, and maybe ignore the necessary boiling of the linseed oil (or maybe not)), and a job to paint something.  I know there have been lots of suggestion threads about paints, I might go pick one to necro.

Also, the sizes of text throughout my comment got all screwed up, and I can't seem to fix it by just selecting it all and setting it to a size.  Anyone know how to make that work?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10213 on: April 14, 2014, 09:59:33 am »

my eyes are bleeding.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10214 on: April 14, 2014, 12:18:47 pm »

traditional reds in europe are from beets and madder, usually fixed with an alum mordant. the red coats that were used by the british were dyed wool, dyed with madder.

logwood was the "cheap and easy" source of violet. (madder overdyed with indigo from woad was not a particularly pretty thing, and was prone to blotching.)

from north america, you can use hopi red amaranth, and cocheneal (sp?) beetles.

a synthetic blue can be made by sintering bloodmeal and iron filings together in a sealed ceramic crucible. (prussian blue). this wasnt discovered until late in the game, as far as dye chemistry is concerned however. another blue is pthalo blue, which is made from copper, but that's pretty damned modern.

Pages: 1 ... 679 680 [681] 682 683 ... 748