Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806097 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9975 on: April 03, 2014, 11:11:33 am »

I never got why they consider mushrooms trees.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9976 on: April 03, 2014, 11:31:57 am »

A lack of molecular biologists, perhaps?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9977 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:23 pm »

Could be. Elves don't seem to be all that bright in general.

Case in point:
Wood > furnace > coal > smelter > smelt iron > repeat > forge > forge iron bars > pickaxe > mine rock
"We love rocks! We know for certain you didn't harm any trees to obtain it. Give us all your mugs!"
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9978 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:59 pm »

Could be. Elves don't seem to be all that bright in general.

Case in point:
Wood > furnace > coal > smelter > smelt iron > repeat > forge > forge iron bars > pickaxe > mine rock
"We love rocks! We know for certain you didn't harm any trees to obtain it. Give us all your mugs!"
Everyone knows that pickaxes and anvils grow on underground tree mushrooms. Dwarves are saying that, and dwarves never lie, right?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9979 on: April 03, 2014, 12:26:01 pm »

Everyone knows that pickaxes and anvils grow on underground tree mushrooms. Dwarves are saying that, and dwarves never lie, right?

You know, didn't Toady mention that you can grow some really weird stuff on trees now or something?
If so, the idea of anvils and pickaxes growing on trees is not to be taken lightly around here... :P

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9980 on: April 03, 2014, 01:00:25 pm »

You know, didn't Toady mention that you can grow some really weird stuff on trees now or something?
If so, the idea of anvils and pickaxes growing on trees is not to be taken lightly around here... :P

Being able to mod trees to grow virtually anything as a fruit would be awesome. Jewel trees! Battle axe trees!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9981 on: April 03, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »

KILLER BEE TREES
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9982 on: April 03, 2014, 01:19:46 pm »

I'd already made a mod that makes trees drop stones that are on fire (fireball trees), like, 5 months ago.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9983 on: April 03, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »

Being able to mod trees to grow virtually anything as a fruit would be awesome. Jewel trees! Battle axe trees!

I can already imagine that in a sci-fi Dwarf Fortress, you wouldn't craft items. You would grow them on specialized trees. :P
Also this probably explains how elves get their wooden weaponry without being total hypocrites about the whole thing.

WHO SAID MONEY DOESN'T GROW ON TREES?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9984 on: April 03, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

I'd already made a mod that makes trees drop stones that are on fire (fireball trees), like, 5 months ago.
So? You have to cut down trees to make that happen. In the near future, one could get flaming fruit without having to cut down the whole tree!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9985 on: April 03, 2014, 01:48:56 pm »

I meant for the next version, of course, jeez.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9986 on: April 03, 2014, 01:51:57 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is the only game that people can mod without having played it yet. :P
(I know Toady gave us a peek at the raws and all, but still)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9987 on: April 03, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »

Well, we'll have to wait for the next version to come out before we can test those raws, but from what we've seen, some of this early mod stuff should work.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9988 on: April 03, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

For instance, I noticed that you included chickpeas; many regional dishes are made with chickpea, such as humus.

Do you mean hommus? If I recall correctly, humus is a type of organic soil...

The spelling is pretty diverse depending on where you are becuase the name come from Arabian. 

Up until about a century ago it grew wild almost everywhere on the American continent which is why it garnered the term "Weed."

Canabis/Hemp were a big in Europe too, the origin pinpointed atm to the Ural (mountainrange in Rusia). The tracked Human influence on the plant is even older then many and most crops we have including wheat.

If you look at the closest relative of Hemp, hop, you will see that it always had also medical uses, even for a real long time. Also THC isnt the only canaboid in those plants there is a whole bunch of them with differing strengths and uses. Hop mainly makes sleepy which is good for medical hop but breed out of brewers hop. (it was btw. introduced to keep the beer drinkable for a longer time since it keeps bacteria away).

Same goes for hemp. Improving THC in modern times (by a thousandfold) is well ... modern. You wouldnt even feel buzzed with a breed from the 70s - 90s, on a doze that would get you mile high nowadays since we breed so much more potent variations. A general feeling of floatiness and happyness? Sure you would get that even with a variant from 500 AD .

Some (unpopular not well supported) theories suggest that Shamans started agriculture to make booze to keep the general populatian away from the good stuff. Simpy because you cant let everyone have prophetic visions etc.The slight buzz and loss of inhibition by alcohol was preferable back then. Also you can make booze of literal grass seeds (thansk to the starch) while Hemp is a much less common thus available plant.

They and other religious groups (most likely) didnt smoke joints though, they often used it like incense or in the forms of oils etc with other plants that enhanced the effects. Also the used more of it.

Not for cannabis but for some middle eastern drugs the bible even has recipes on various hallicinugenics (source).   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:10:33 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9989 on: April 03, 2014, 02:42:20 pm »

KILLER BEE TREES

Reminds me of an old Draw Your Adventures post.

I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 748