Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805997 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9960 on: April 03, 2014, 06:04:12 am »

Will watermelons explode on impact launch?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9961 on: April 03, 2014, 06:16:18 am »

More apt question:

Will multi-component/multi-layer objects be able to rupture under pressure, releasing the concealed contents?

Take for instance, an egg-- Theoretically, it has a hard, but brittle shell surrounding a liquid center. Throw the egg at something, it splatters on impact, releasing the liquid all over the place.

This could have profound implications with both fruit items, and animal product items, especially for use in warfare. It could also have some interesting consequences if it carries over to animals/creatures that have nasty innards. Exploding gas filled enemies, for example.

The benign "exploding watermelon" would "Just work" if item rupturing in general was implemented. The weaponization potential is large.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9962 on: April 03, 2014, 06:22:38 am »

More apt question:

Will multi-component/multi-layer objects be able to rupture under pressure, releasing the concealed contents?

Take for instance, an egg-- Theoretically, it has a hard, but brittle shell surrounding a liquid center. Throw the egg at something, it splatters on impact, releasing the liquid all over the place.

This could have profound implications with both fruit items, and animal product items, especially for use in warfare. It could also have some interesting consequences if it carries over to animals/creatures that have nasty innards. Exploding gas filled enemies, for example.

The benign "exploding watermelon" would "Just work" if item rupturing in general was implemented. The weaponization potential is large.

Is it bad that "realistic brain splatter" was the first phrase that popped into my mind after reading this?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9963 on: April 03, 2014, 06:34:47 am »

No, In terms of dwarf fortress gameplay, that is a perfectly normal reaction. :)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9964 on: April 03, 2014, 06:36:04 am »

Is it bad that "realistic brain splatter" was the first phrase that popped into my mind after reading this?
In bay12 standards? It's only the natural thing to think man.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9965 on: April 03, 2014, 06:39:23 am »

Most excellent! Gore for all! 0:)

Are plants able to be harvested at different stages in their growth cycle? Can a plant have multiple products produced from gathering them this way?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9966 on: April 03, 2014, 06:46:36 am »

As we are getting to the 666th page, a question concerning demons :

Will we see eventually plants (exotic forms?) growing in the level under lava, and will the demons and FB have any odor and smell ?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:06:34 am by Inarius »

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9967 on: April 03, 2014, 07:59:47 am »

I noticed a discrepancy in the crop raws. It's probably a copy-paste issue. Oats have the prefstring "beer" but lack the corresponding tags to make any drinks. May I suggest "florets" as a new prefstring?

This was the first problem I noticed, not sure if there are more problematic raws.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9968 on: April 03, 2014, 09:06:33 am »

Will it (soon or eventually) be possible to give plants or plant products
either a "happy" flag or an "euphoria" flag (beyond the happiness
provided by eating something a particular dwarf likes)?

[...]
Would a syndrome be the best way to approach happiness?  Or, would it
be possible to give such foods (as opposed to drinks) the alcohol tag,
so they prevent an unhappy thought in dwarves the way alcohol does?

The effects of intoxicants, including alcohol, will be expanded later:
Quote from: penguinofhonor
TL;DR: Alcohol and drugs should be weak poisons, poison effects should be created for them should be usable by creatures, poisons should be turned into general substances and allow positive effects as well as negative.

Yeah, I alluded to this in my dev notes on the 2nd -- poison effects are already just "creature interaction syndromes" on the material.  That I don't have ingestion yet is the main barrier to doing alcohol, and as I add in positive effects, everything else would work out (of course there'd need to be AI and jobs and so on to use things for whatever purpose).  The framework is in place, it just needs to be used for more things.  It can also be extended to things that have nothing to do with materials, though for that change a bit more would have to be done to syndrome indices.  I think I mentioned "gaze" attacks there, though at some point you have to worry about a proper extension to the full "magic" framework, which is something to be more careful about.
I decided to take a detour into poison land today. The framework should be easily extended to other material effects and to some non-material effects on creatures as well later on (for instance, alcohol effects or ointments that do whatever, as well as auras around creatures, 'gaze attacks', etc etc), but for now, I'm going to go with contact/injected/inhaled poisons that cause syndromes in affected classes of creatures involving pain, swelling, oozing wounds, bruising, blisters, numbness, paralysis, fever, bleeding, coughing/vomiting blood, nausea, vomiting, unconsciousness, necrosis, impaired vision, drowsiness and dizziness as a starter set, with some possible extensions as they arise. If it makes sense, you'll be able to move those effects around from the initial site (for say contact or injection) to body parts by category/function (so you could have something cause headaches, for example, or make the gums bleed... one of the wikipedia snakes had that... not my fault).

Could we in some kind of way relabel certain combinations of ingredients
with a recipe name?

Recipes are on the dev page, but they won't be in the upcoming release:
Adventurer Role: Thief
    [...]
    Inns, taverns and dens
        Taverns/inns
            [...]
            Recipes/drink quality

In reference to your question about syndromes I'm afraid I don't quite know. I am unaware as to whether syndromes can effect the emotion system so I think that's a good question for Toady: Will it be possible for syndromes to cause specific emotions in creatures?

Not yet, but it's fair game for later, e.g. love potions and stuff.

Will watermelons explode on impact?

Do vegetables and plants shmush if they are thrown at people, or walls or things?

Nope.  Projectile impacts are the same as in the current version.  Items getting damaged (in the same way that creatures do) will be a big change when it comes.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:11:11 am by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9969 on: April 03, 2014, 09:25:38 am »

As we are getting to the 666th page, a question concerning demons :

Will we see eventually plants (exotic forms?) growing in the level under lava, and will the demons and FB have any odor and smell ?

It's on page 400 for me.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9970 on: April 03, 2014, 09:49:03 am »

You have a higher post count per page? Speaking of which, I know it might no be the right part of the forum, but someone can point me to a thread or post where it's said how to unsucribe from a thread on this forums? I tried looking everywhere but haven't seen it.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9971 on: April 03, 2014, 09:54:19 am »

You have a higher post count per page? Speaking of which, I know it might no be the right part of the forum, but someone can point me to a thread or post where it's said how to unsucribe from a thread on this forums? I tried looking everywhere but haven't seen it.
If you mean from the new replies to your posts/updated topics, I don't think it can be done.
If you mean e-mail notifications, just select the unnotify button which should be near the reply button.

EDIT: And you can change posts per page in Profile -> Look and Layout. You should check all the settings in your profile, some are very useful.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 09:56:21 am by Parisbre56 »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9972 on: April 03, 2014, 10:03:39 am »

Yeah I meant the first one, well, it was just curiosity. On trees, will the smelly hippies get angry if you try to trade them fruits from trees now or if you harvest too much fruit from trees?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9973 on: April 03, 2014, 10:09:16 am »

Yeah I meant the first one, well, it was just curiosity. On trees, will the smelly hippies get angry if you try to trade them fruits from trees now or if you harvest too much fruit from trees?

Harvesting fruit doesn't harm the trees, it's just the harvesting wood part that they complain about.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9974 on: April 03, 2014, 10:16:16 am »

Maple syrup, dragons blood ink, gum arabic, and pine rosin/tar on the other hand.....

:D

"it's redroot dye, honest!" ;)
Pages: 1 ... 663 664 [665] 666 667 ... 748