Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805763 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9765 on: March 27, 2014, 06:51:10 am »

Stop torturing yourself, DD.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: March 27, 2014, 06:58:22 am »

I'm not torturing myself.
I'm just really hyped and getting slightly impatient (also bored).

Also apparently I'm DD now. 'Kay then. *shrug*

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:53 am »

Hey, it beats something like "D-Dizzy".

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:27 am »

Hey, it beats something like "D-Dizzy".

Probably.
Still, I'm kinda used to people calling me Dark, but whatever, different places, different people, different standards, yadda yadda.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: March 27, 2014, 07:34:36 am »

That seems too soon, really. I still standing on early June as the nearest estimated. I don't care, is worth waiting.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: March 27, 2014, 08:01:54 am »

Well, the debugging phase won't take too long (hopefully), since Toady will only be ironing out the most outrageous and gamebreaking bugs, leaving the rest for smaller releases soon after.
Plus he has already fixed a bunch when adding the new features, so...

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: March 27, 2014, 08:42:55 am »

Great feature about the liasons bringing news of the outside world.

I would suggest however that not only them, but every merchant should bring the news, related to their places of origin and civilizations.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:32 am »

That would be supreme if he's able to put it there for this release. I sense a question coming.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: March 27, 2014, 09:27:26 am »

This seems like a step after this release would then be using the rumors and and new to your advantage some how.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: March 27, 2014, 10:41:56 am »

What possibilities will we have in Fort Mode to gather information about the outside world? Liaisons, merchants, immigrants, etc - who will tell us stuff?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: March 27, 2014, 11:16:55 am »

What possibilities will we have in Fort Mode to gather information about the outside world? Liaisons, merchants, immigrants, etc - who will tell us stuff?

If I remember correctly, Toady told that (c)ivilizations-screen in fortress mode will show much more stuff about outside world than it does now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:24:58 am by Matoro »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: March 27, 2014, 11:38:49 am »

If I remember correctly, Toady told that (c)ivilizations-screen in fortress mode will show much more stuff about outside world than it does now.
But how will we aquire that information? It might just magically show up, but somehow I doubt that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: March 27, 2014, 03:06:11 pm »

It can be safely assumed that this would apply to any visitors who are willing to talk to you:
Rainseeker:   Is the goal to have news get to you, so you can be aware that this might happen to you in the next year or two, that there's been a dragon that's being laying waste to the countryside and it might come by?
Toady:   It has to update you somehow, and it's got to mesh in with what we're hoping to do with your own armies eventually, which means showing you some kind of world map or of the surroundings or whatever that you're going to be able to use to order your armies. We haven't thought about it too much but if it's going to give you, like, a snapshot of the world as you currently understand it and then the next time a merchant comes you get to update your snapshot or whatever ... then it can give you the same paragraph or a related paragraph that it gives you at the beginning of adventure mode, so that it would tell you about what's going on a little bit.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #9778 on: March 28, 2014, 02:05:04 am »

I apologize if this was discussed already, but I do not really follow this thread, I only read FotF replies made by Toady. So anyone feel free to provide an answer should they have one.

Toady! With deep sites/hill settlements becoming a thing, official positions being more realistically held, armies slowly running around and liaisons spreading information, in which arc or at what point do you foresee migrant rework is coming? Right now, it's still to easy to flood your fortress with new arrivals relatively early on if you only let your original 7 be moderately productive. When will migrants start acknowledging that while your fort has beautiful smooth interior walls and decently big meeting hall, so does other (NPC) forts, i.e., when will more than a raw fortress wealth vs. death-per-year-count be taken into account when game decides to send migrants? And when do hill dwarfs come into play?
Note, I'm not asking you about some fixed timescale, just your opinion or rather vision on this thing. Thanks!

(also - yay, my first FotF question!)
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:09 am »

I apologize if this was discussed already, but I do not really follow this thread, I only read FotF replies made by Toady. So anyone feel free to provide an answer should they have one.

Toady! With deep sites/hill settlements becoming a thing, official positions being more realistically held, armies slowly running around and liaisons spreading information, in which arc or at what point do you foresee migrant rework is coming? Right now, it's still to easy to flood your fortress with new arrivals relatively early on if you only let your original 7 be moderately productive. When will migrants start acknowledging that while your fort has beautiful smooth interior walls and decently big meeting hall, so does other (NPC) forts, i.e., when will more than a raw fortress wealth vs. death-per-year-count be taken into account when game decides to send migrants? And when do hill dwarfs come into play?
Note, I'm not asking you about some fixed timescale, just your opinion or rather vision on this thing. Thanks!

(also - yay, my first FotF question!)
The game actually already takes the value of your fortress and death-per-year into account. If you do poorly enough, you'll receive a "no migrants this season" message. It isn't absolute, however, and, in addition, the first two migrant waves are hard-coded. From the third wave and beyond, the number of migrants you receive is loosely correlated to the two variables you mentioned.

As far as I know, hill dwarves will exist in the next version, but you won't get to interact with them in any meaningful way during Fortress Mode until the version after. Toady indirectly answers it here:
I suspect when we get to the deep dwarves under-outside of your fortress map (which'll very likely happen at the same time that the hill dwarves matter, and that's not too far away), the game will come to understand how to use the tunnels.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 10:06:22 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 748