Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806261 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9675 on: March 19, 2014, 08:53:43 pm »

EmeraldWind is referring to the devlog that Toady just posted, where he also writes that there are exactly six things left to do before bugfixing begins. Anyone still willing to explain to us how the new version is "always 2-3 months away" and will not be released anytime ever?

I'm no elf, but I definitely smell the new version. Does that mean DF 2014 is undead:o

One month ago it was about 10 things.

No it wasn't. It was "about half done". Today was the first time there's been an exact value in the list since 2010. This is probably what you're talking about:

Quote from: Devlog 2-04-14
The list of feature items that is left is about half as long as it was ten days ago.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9676 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:47 pm »

EmeraldWind is referring to the devlog that Toady just posted, where he also writes that there are exactly six things left to do before bugfixing begins. Anyone still willing to explain to us how the new version is "always 2-3 months away" and will not be released anytime ever?

I'm no elf, but I definitely smell the new version. Does that mean DF 2014 is undead:o

One month ago it was about 10 things.

No it wasn't. It was "about half done". Today was the first time there's been an exact value in the list since 2010. This is probably what you're talking about:

Quote from: Devlog 2-04-14
The list of feature items that is left is about half as long as it was ten days ago.

Yeah, you are right. Doesn't change the rest of what I said, though.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:04 pm »

So six things done, and then we can get a release, right?

Bugs are part of the Dwarf Fortress experience.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9678 on: March 20, 2014, 12:52:01 am »

Whoo, six more finalization stuff before release!

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9679 on: March 20, 2014, 01:00:25 am »

That one sentence alone really builds my hype up again.
All aboard the DF2014 hype train!

Of course we don't know how much time it'll take for him to finalize those six things (it may be two days or another two weeks) and then there's still the actual bughunting and fixing phase.
But it's much better knowing that we are actually close to the release now and the "2-3 months away" jokes can finally stop. (hopefully at least)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9680 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:51 am »

That one sentence alone really builds my hype up again.
All aboard the DF2014 hype train!

Of course we don't know how much time it'll take for him to finalize those six things (it may be two days or another two weeks) and then there's still the actual bughunting and fixing phase.
But it's much better knowing that we are actually close to the release now and the "2-3 months away" jokes can finally stop. (hopefully at least)

CHOO CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The bughunting phase is always an endeavor, but still, bring it on!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9681 on: March 20, 2014, 05:25:57 am »

I wonder if how an animal smells/how smelly it is is governed by raws now.
How else would it be governed? I guess zombie smell could be hardcoded, but otherwise...
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9682 on: March 20, 2014, 05:52:21 am »

Will creatures be able to smell things in Fortress mode?

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9683 on: March 20, 2014, 06:13:43 am »

Will the ability to smell be used by Hunters to track prey better, and/or be affected by skills?[/b]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9684 on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:51 am »

I wonder if how an animal smells/how smelly it is is governed by raws now.
How else would it be governed? I guess zombie smell could be hardcoded, but otherwise...

Sense of smell will be governed by raws for sure, but for smelliness, I kinda doubt it. It sounds like there are just two categories: rotten (i.e. has the rotting tissue flag) and normal (everything else).

Will the ability to smell be used by Hunters to track prey better, and/or be affected by skills?[/b]

Fortress Mode doesn't have line-of-sight -- all creatures are omniscient about each other's location on the map.  So smell won't give them any new information.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9685 on: March 20, 2014, 07:20:46 am »

For what I can gather Footkerchief is rightish, Toady says: "There's no blood-houndy types of scent trails yet (though there are the other kinds of trails)"

By trails I think it would be sort of like "you smell food, rotten flesh" or things like that, instead of "two humans and a goblin went by here two hours ago, the humans where arguing, I sense some kind of sexual tension between them. And the goblin was injure." "I told you he got a good nose".
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9686 on: March 20, 2014, 07:28:02 am »

For what I can gather Footkerchief is rightish, Toady says: "There's no blood-houndy types of scent trails yet (though there are the other kinds of trails)"

By trails I think it would be sort of like "you smell food, rotten flesh" or things like that, instead of "two humans and a goblin went by here two hours ago, the humans where arguing, I sense some kind of sexual tension between them. And the goblin was injure." "I told you he got a good nose".

I think what he really meant was that scents are only carried by the wind right now, so if a thing isn't there its smell wouldn't be there either.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9687 on: March 20, 2014, 07:30:49 am »

I don't know about anyone else, but if smelling is a skill you can train, then I'd feel sorry for the Legendary Smeller that wanders into an unwashed town.
 :P

Kent_Lang

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Reborn in Darkness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9688 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »

I must ask - I haven't been able to follow the development very well so what is in the next release? Is it stuff that's for adventure mode only? My favorite mode is Dwarf mode so I'm on the fence whenever I should be really excited yet.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9689 on: March 20, 2014, 01:29:28 pm »

Again: There's plenty of new features that affect both, and things done in one mode affect the other much more. Trees are now multi-tile, personalities and personal interactions have been rewritten, and you will be able to retire (instead of abandon) fortresses, if you so choose, making them into NPC settlements.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 644 645 [646] 647 648 ... 748