Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806712 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9645 on: March 18, 2014, 02:38:15 pm »

The long cycle is already hurting donations.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9646 on: March 18, 2014, 02:39:36 pm »

I noticed. I think they've halved, or something similar.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9647 on: March 18, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

Don't get me wrong, this release is getting me as excited as the next person here, but the sheer amount of waiting is just killing me right now.
At this point every day is just raising the pole for the development cycle length record.

I mean, how many days has it been without a release? We beat the previous record holder release in December, and that was almost 4 months ago.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9648 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45:07 pm »

Don't get me wrong, this release is getting me as excited as the next person here, but the sheer amount of waiting is just killing me right now.
At this point every day is just raising the pole for the development cycle length record.

I mean, how many days has it been without a release? We beat the previous record holder release in December, and that was almost 4 months ago.

here's a running tally

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9649 on: March 18, 2014, 02:48:36 pm »

February was a bad month and January was a good month, but as a whole no, the long cycle is not hurting donations.  For the entire release cycle they've stayed within the 3000-5000 range, with a few months that went over, and only 2 that went under.  The yearly amount last year is also perfectly normal for a year with no release.

Then when he releases, there's going to be a MASSIVE month for donations, followed by a period of increased donations, as usual.  Click around on the announcements subforum if you don't believe me, this is all following exactly the same patterns it has for years.  In fact we've been slowly gaining people so donations have become higher relative to the early years of DF.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9650 on: March 18, 2014, 03:24:13 pm »

Toady keeps adding new features to this day. I love all the features, but there isn't a way to breaking them into various short releases? I think he didn't even started the bugfixing phase.

I am usually a supporter of his way of doing things, but I think he needs to rethink these long release cycles.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9651 on: March 18, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

Um. No. We're in the bugtesting and cleaning phase. Right now. There hasn't been a feature added that hasn't been related to making sure that this release is playable with all the features intended for well over a month now. He's in the crunch stretch of pulling together all the features he's created over the length of this dev release. Anything that actually looks exciting and new right now in the dev log is actually the culmination of work that's taken over a year of prep work to actually pull off, and is actually it finally coming together as he wanted it to in the past.

It might not be coming out fast enough for some, but it never actually does. If he releases it before he does this phase there will be an equal number on the other side who will complain that it doesn't feel polished enough for a release and that he should have kept working on it for another couple of months instead of releasing it and trying to fix the bugs.

Edit: I will agree that he didn't have to spend as long as he did on certain things, but at this point he might as well tie it all together and move on from here. The eggs are already broken so he might as well finish the omelette.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:39:58 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9652 on: March 18, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »

There should be another bugfixing phase immediately following the release too.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9653 on: March 18, 2014, 03:47:58 pm »

And it's not like he's intending for it to go this long between releases. He said that about the 2010 release that he never wanted another release cycle to take that long, he just isn't all that good at making it happen. After all, the initial release estimate for this release was march last year iirc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9654 on: March 18, 2014, 03:48:39 pm »

Toady keeps adding new features to this day. I love all the features, but there isn't a way to breaking them into various short releases? I think he didn't even started the bugfixing phase.
Um. No. We're in the bugtesting and cleaning phase. Right now. There hasn't been a feature added that hasn't been related to making sure that this release is playable with all the features intended for well over a month now. He's in the crunch stretch of pulling together all the features he's created over the length of this dev release. Anything that actually looks exciting and new right now in the dev log is actually the culmination of work that's taken over a year of prep work to actually pull off, and is actually it finally coming together as he wanted it to in the past.

Nope, we haven't gotten to the bug-fixing phase yet:
Insurrections are winding down, leaving us with an even more paltry grab-bag of random features to complete before we get on to bug fixing and the release (and then more bug fixing).

Some incidental bugs are getting fixed, but the focus is still on finishing the features.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9655 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:52 pm »

Goddamn it. Okay. My point remains though that non-essential features are not being added.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9656 on: March 18, 2014, 04:12:43 pm »

After this update, would you work on Badits sometimes becomming privateers or mercenaries?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9657 on: March 18, 2014, 04:18:27 pm »

After this update, would you work on Badits sometimes becomming privateers or mercenaries?
I predict ToadyOne answer will be, "Sounds good, but no time line."
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #9658 on: March 18, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

I can smell the progress... no idea when the release will be though.  Argh.  Things are getting done every day at least.

So the new devlog clearly means that the elite military dwarves who become refugees when we abandon our forts will become bandits and plague legend mode, right?

Quote from: december 17 2013 devlog
If a site gets a rumor that a force of critters is coming to eat them or torture them for fun (checking the ethics of the invading civ), many of the citizens decide it is worth it to leave. There'd normally be refugees with regular wars as well, but we don't have large-scale regular wars and related economic/agricultural hardship etc. yet, so I didn't bother with anything there at this point. In any case, the groups look for a safe spot to head for, often ending up together in a camp outside of a nearby non-hostile market town. Having historical figures going to live with their relatives will also be a possibility.

Becoming a bandit is one of multiple options refugees have at the moment.

It's unclear whether player abandoned fort pops will act in the same way as legend pops in this instance.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9659 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »

It's like we're a pig, ridden by Toady, holding the new release on a stick in front of our nose. It's literally just that.
I am a patient man (when it comes to games, anyway), but Toady is really putting our trust to the test here, I feel.

I don't feel that way. Literally or allegorically.
Pages: 1 ... 642 643 [644] 645 646 ... 748