Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807181 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9585 on: March 12, 2014, 09:24:36 pm »

The front page is not responding. Maybe a release or devlog is coming out soon?

Working fine for me.

Boozebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9586 on: March 12, 2014, 09:25:49 pm »

I hope they would at least protest this "mercy killing" just because they aren't useful for the player anymore.

If they're crippled and in extreme pain I could possibly imagine some individuals wanting to be put out of their misery. I'd imagine the personality traits may apply to it.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Personality_trait

Such as, if they have low optimism and low perseverance, they'd be more likely to accept the mercy killing.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9587 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:49 pm »

It wasn't working for me but now its back up and nothing has changed.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9588 on: March 12, 2014, 09:33:16 pm »

Dammit. The release heard you both talking about it, and now it's run away to hide in its room. Come back, Release-chan! We love you!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9589 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36:24 pm »

What will happen when we kill livestock?
As I understand it, it will be considerably less of a violent uprising. You will almost certainly degrade their opinion of you, but probably not to the point where they instantly attack you.
I understand differently. If seen, you still become an enemy, but the other livestock won't attack you, and if you visit another town you might outrun rumors of your crime. Attacking you is still the only way guards respond to you as a criminal.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9590 on: March 12, 2014, 09:41:31 pm »

I hope they would at least protest this "mercy killing" just because they aren't useful for the player anymore.

If they're crippled and in extreme pain I could possibly imagine some individuals wanting to be put out of their misery. I'd imagine the personality traits may apply to it.

Such as, if they have low optimism and low perseverance, they'd be more likely to accept the mercy killing.

Optimism appears to be gone; next version's personality traits are the following:

Code: [Select]
LOVE_PROPENSITY
HATE_PROPENSITY
ENVY_PROPENSITY
CHEER_PROPENSITY
DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY
ANGER_PROPENSITY
ANXIETY_PROPENSITY
LUST_PROPENSITY
STRESS_VULNERABILITY
GREED
IMMODERATION
VIOLENT
PERSEVERENCE
WASTEFULNESS
DISCORD
FRIENDLINESS
POLITENESS
DISDAIN_ADVICE
BRAVERY
CONFIDENCE
VANITY
AMBITION
GRATITUDE
IMMODESTY
HUMOR
VENGEFUL
PRIDE
CRUELTY
SINGLEMINDED
HOPEFUL
CURIOUS
BASHFUL
PRIVACY
PERFECTIONIST
CLOSEMINDED
TOLERANT
EMOTIONALLY_OBSESSIVE
SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS
ALTRUISM
DUTIFULNESS
THOUGHTLESSNESS
ORDERLINESS
TRUST
GREGARIOUSNESS
ASSERTIVENESS
ACTIVITY_LEVEL
EXCITEMENT_SEEKING
IMAGINATION
ABSTRACT_INCLINED
ART_INCLINED

Unless that's all changed too...

Have the raws changed much in the last 4 months?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9591 on: March 12, 2014, 09:43:41 pm »

Dammit. The release heard you both talking about it, and now it's run away to hide in its room. Come back, Release-chan! We love you!
The release is a ground hog that was so scared of it's shadow that it decided it wouldn't come out for the year at all.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9592 on: March 12, 2014, 09:51:42 pm »

Is there going to be a DF meetup in the semi-near future?

Historically, meetups have been announced and organized via forum threads.  There's no current thread, so it's safe to assume no plans.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9593 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

Will moss come back to abandoned fortresses? I really miss that part, lol

Yup:
Capntastic:   Is there more moss now, or is it still just general 'moss'?
Toady:   Oh, well moss could be done with this system ... it isn't right now, so we could do the mosses. Because moss ... you hardly ever see it. I think I forced it so that you see it in adventure mode when you go to the old shrines, then you get a lot more moss, but in the fortress I don't know that you get to see it that often. It still calls the code that makes moss grow in a fortress, but I think you have to somehow have hundreds of years pass.
Capntastic:   Yeah, I remember somebody posted a screenshot saying 'Yeah, I've been playing this fort for like twenty in game years, and I have a moss tile now.'
Toady:   Yeah, so that definitely needs a little bit of work, because I think moss can grow faster than that. But the grass system will work for anything.

In addition to the above answer, moss came up a while back:
Quote from: smjjames
In a similar line of thought, will we be seeing epiphytes in DF? If not now, eventually? Also I'm referring to things like bromeliads and some orchids. Although having moss and lichen growing on trees would be neat and would just be a description and perhaps a tile change rather than a full blown plant with complete raws. So, moss and lichen on trees would be doable in a shorter timeframe.

MrWiggles brought up moss being in the game in a specific case, and vines are clearly necessary for a credible general fantasy game.  The existing moss is just a tile flag, but it would probably work better in conjunction with a fully realized raw definition and then we could just use the existing framework for grass, so memory wouldn't be much affected (and at the same time, you could then pick some/harvest some and have it work right).  I'm not sure when I'll get to vines...  at some point there'll have to be giant dwarf-eating flowers and stuff too.

Here's a start -- did you have particular aspects of the game in mind?
Hopefully I can also get the finalized garden plant objects together [in March] as well [...]
(Secretion by part is old, but, yeah, we have a new usage hint for negative social response, and secretions can take an optional argument at the end for exertion or extreme emotion)
Raws aren't very interesting for jumping -- there is a CANNOT_JUMP tag.  Flesh balls have it, thankfully.  I haven't yet decided exactly on how climbing is going to be restricted.  Insects have to be able to do it, but they don't have grasps in game terms, and we want humanoid climbers to need free grasps.  At the same time, we don't want flesh balls to climb.  There will probably just be a special graspless climber tag or something, for now.
[...]
Climbing speed depends on the raws.
All of the humans are independent if they don't have a tribute relationship.  There is no civilization leader, unless there's a god impersonator (or successor -- I don't remember if vamps can create their own position or need to act through a god successor).  Gobs are similar, though they are generally saddled with a demon.  The other civs are subject to their entity definitions, so that dwarves and elves in their main civs find such arrangements more unthinkable, though dwarves or elves that have moved to human civs can become local leaders of human-style sites.  It shouldn't be so clear-cut with the dwarves and elves, but it'll be a bit before we sort that out.  If a dwarf group breaks off from the main dwarves, they'll probably establish analogous entity positions in their new entity, since that's how they live, but there's also room to define some wiggle room into the raw file.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9594 on: March 12, 2014, 10:31:53 pm »

Hmm... the usage hint shouldn't be difficult to figure out on release (I.E it'll be in the file changes), climbing is done with gaits AFAIK, the entity stuff seems as current (with VARIABLE_POSITIONS and all), secretion hint shouldn't be necessary to know yet.

So basically just garden plants and (more importantly) changes from what has been seen earlier for the new version.

Are garden plant raws final enough to show us (with the implication I mean explicit meaning of plz show) and have there been any raws from the new version changed since October 2013?

My compilation of new raws is from there, so seeing if any of it is out-of-date is important.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9595 on: March 13, 2014, 09:03:48 am »

Optimism appears to be gone; next version's personality traits are the following:

LOVE_PROPENSITY
HATE_PROPENSITY
ENVY_PROPENSITY
CHEER_PROPENSITY
DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY
ANGER_PROPENSITY
ANXIETY_PROPENSITY
LUST_PROPENSITY
STRESS_VULNERABILITY
GREED
IMMODERATION
VIOLENT
PERSEVERENCE
WASTEFULNESS
DISCORD
FRIENDLINESS
POLITENESS
DISDAIN_ADVICE
BRAVERY
CONFIDENCE
VANITY
AMBITION
GRATITUDE
IMMODESTY
HUMOR
VENGEFUL
PRIDE
CRUELTY
SINGLEMINDED
HOPEFUL
CURIOUS
BASHFUL
PRIVACY
PERFECTIONIST
CLOSEMINDED
TOLERANT
EMOTIONALLY_OBSESSIVE
SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS
ALTRUISM
DUTIFULNESS
THOUGHTLESSNESS
ORDERLINESS
TRUST
GREGARIOUSNESS
ASSERTIVENESS
ACTIVITY_LEVEL
EXCITEMENT_SEEKING
IMAGINATION
ABSTRACT_INCLINED
ART_INCLINED

Unless that's all changed too...

I can see a number of those affecting a creature's "final wishes."  Maybe Perfectionist and Depression_Propensity increase the desire for death, Hopeful and Perseverance decrease it, and Dutifulness works either way depending on whether the person is capable of work or not.  I can see some players getting touchy about the whole subject, so we'd probably have the option to turn it off.

Edit: Forgot that "entity" is a term-of-art in Dwarf Fortress.  I was referring to a specific (intelligent) creature's final wishes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:18:06 am by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9596 on: March 13, 2014, 09:08:31 am »

What do you mean by entity? Entity in DF pretty much always refers to groups of intelligent people, such as a civilization of humans or a bandit gang.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9597 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:55 am »

What do you mean by entity? Entity in DF pretty much always refers to groups of intelligent people, such as a civilization of humans or a bandit gang.
Sorry, fixed the terminology in the post.  Although I can imagine that entities' ethics play some role in these decisions, that's not what I was talking about.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #9598 on: March 13, 2014, 09:55:33 am »

CHEER_PROPENSITY
Optimism is CHEERFULNESS, and CHEER_PROPENSITY is in there. I think the only personality traits that are really gone is COOPERATION, which turned into a value, and EMOTIONALITY, which was kind of a problem child and oddity, in that it was both awareness of ones emotions and display of them, but mostly the former. The others at least have some sort of equivalent. I made a list trying to map the old traits to the new ones back when Toady first posted the new traits.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9599 on: March 13, 2014, 08:04:36 pm »

Now that people are having emotional responses to things in play, does that mean that people can go insane (as in berserk, melancholy, raving mad) in adventure mode? Have the mechanics of insanity changed at all with the new personality stuff?

Reading today's devlog, I was imagining what kind of responses people would have if so many just suddenly dropped dead around them.
Pages: 1 ... 638 639 [640] 641 642 ... 748