Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807173 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9570 on: March 11, 2014, 04:03:47 pm »

Do we as adventurers have the option to rob people?

Thus far, that's pretty much what adventure mode has been all about. :)

I guess the specific question is: once an NPC yields, can we demand that they drop their belongings?

As a follow-up to that: If they do drop their belongings, and we don't grab all of them, will they pick them back up? Or is there some risk other NPCs will walk by and grab them? Also, how are cloths/armor handled in this case?

Relatedly, do Robbers ever demand that you give up your spiffy *<=Steel Chain Mail=>*?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9571 on: March 11, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »

Will unfriendly locals (i.e. goblins) be able to oppress adventurers in a similar fashion?
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9572 on: March 12, 2014, 05:13:36 am »

Will adventurers be able to create/claim lairs to store stolen treasure in?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9573 on: March 12, 2014, 09:09:13 am »

Will adventurers be able to create/claim lairs to store stolen treasure in?

You can claim sites that you "liberate," but it won't have any special regard for items you leave there.  Eventually you'll be able to set up a base of operations:
Basic Adventure Mode Skills

Wood use
        Ground debris/sticks/underbrush
        Ability to chop down tree using appropriate tool
        Ability to make simple wooden weapons and ammunition
        Ability to use logs to make constructions
        Site recognition for saving adventurer-made sites (will require entity pops first, see below)
        Ability to name site
    Digging and stone constructions
        Ability to dig out soil tiles
        Buried boulders in some soils
        Ability to pull up surface boulders
        Ability to make rough stone constructions

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9574 on: March 12, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

So that's a "No", then? /amusement

It just needed to be disguised a little better, like the rest of us do with our suggestion questions.  ;D But it still wouldn't get much of an answer, such as with the "Salt?" one.

This all over  :P.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9575 on: March 12, 2014, 12:40:38 pm »

Do you have any plans for "mercy killing" one of your allies after they suffer something like severe nerve damage? Without becoming hostile to their civ or the rest of your allies of course.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 01:40:00 pm by Dutchling »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9576 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:09 pm »

What will happen when we kill livestock?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9577 on: March 12, 2014, 02:00:03 pm »

Do you have any plans for "mercy killing" one of your allies after they suffer something like severe nerve damage? Without becoming hostile to their civ or the rest of your allies of course.

Euthanasia has come up:
Toady:   [...] when you make an organization there's ... the two ways to think about it are, does my organization ... is the game going to try to guess what you're doing? It's like 'Well, they've killed their seventeenth person so obviously this is an organization bent on randomly killing people', or is it something that ... what will probably end up happening because the computer can never really be smart enough to tell, is that you just say what you're about, and if you completely violate the principles of what you're about then it'll probably start trying to come up with something on its own, it'd be like 'Well, you're supposed to be wandering around and helping the sick, but you keep killing them' and eventually it would decide that you're actually some kind of weird euthanasia organization or something. But that's all kind of wishful thinking; not the content that I just mentioned but just the ability that it would be able to do anything like that, but it's ...
Rainseeker:   'Hey man, I'm just preventing an epidemic, okay?'
Toady:   It's true, it's going to be dangerous when there are plagues, you'll have some difficult decisions to make. [...]

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9578 on: March 12, 2014, 02:50:32 pm »

As I understand it, it will be considerably less of a violent uprising. You will almost certainly degrade their opinion of you, but probably not to the point where they instantly attack you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9579 on: March 12, 2014, 02:52:58 pm »

As I understand it, it will be considerably less of a violent uprising. You will almost certainly degrade their opinion of you, but probably not to the point where they instantly attack you.

It shouldn't make you an enemy of the entire civ, which is what happens currently.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 03:03:26 pm by smjjames »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9580 on: March 12, 2014, 06:29:30 pm »

Euthanasia has come up:
Toady:   [...] when you make an organization there's ... the two ways to think about it are, does my organization ... is the game going to try to guess what you're doing? It's like 'Well, they've killed their seventeenth person so obviously this is an organization bent on randomly killing people', or is it something that ... what will probably end up happening because the computer can never really be smart enough to tell, is that you just say what you're about, and if you completely violate the principles of what you're about then it'll probably start trying to come up with something on its own, it'd be like 'Well, you're supposed to be wandering around and helping the sick, but you keep killing them' and eventually it would decide that you're actually some kind of weird euthanasia organization or something. But that's all kind of wishful thinking; not the content that I just mentioned but just the ability that it would be able to do anything like that, but it's ...
Rainseeker:   'Hey man, I'm just preventing an epidemic, okay?'
Toady:   It's true, it's going to be dangerous when there are plagues, you'll have some difficult decisions to make. [...]

I hope they would at least protest this "mercy killing" just because they aren't useful for the player anymore.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9581 on: March 12, 2014, 07:35:25 pm »

Is there going to be a DF meetup in the semi-near future?

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #9582 on: March 12, 2014, 09:06:18 pm »

snip

What speed will Fort mode dwarves default to?
I'm imagining a horde of dwarves zooming through the halls at full tilt.

The dwarves are actually slower in Dwarf mode than adventurers are, so if there's a problem like that I'd imagine they'd just be like petrified to an adventurer's eye. In all likelihood they'll act just like normal people do in towns, and just kind of stand around talking about their family's marriage history.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9583 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:52 pm »

The front page is not responding. Maybe a release or devlog is coming out soon?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9584 on: March 12, 2014, 09:22:40 pm »

The front page is not responding. Maybe a release or devlog is coming out soon?

SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
Pages: 1 ... 637 638 [639] 640 641 ... 748