Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807507 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9480 on: March 04, 2014, 05:18:37 pm »

Someone recently posted in the LFR topic about getting invaded by an underground tribe, though...

This?
I remember reading where you said you were not sure if the Grum were working right...I got a grum ambush last night. Or was it specifically sieges you were talking about?

Not sure how much we can tell from an ambush in a mod.

Underground civilisations exist and they can, based on some of the mods I played a while ago, send an underground siege to your fortress. Default underground civilisations won't attack your fortress though, and modded underground entities don't build sites or send caravans to you underground.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: March 04, 2014, 09:25:52 pm »

Quote from: devlog
Insurrections seem to be done. I spent time skulking around a mead hall, beheading the hated occupation soldiers that walked out the door and around the corner, and then I shared the good news with the locals. I didn't try to organize anything myself but instead just camped out in a nearby desert for a few days staring at my debugging tools. The rumors were widespread after a day, and a day after that an insurrection began. The revolt failed miserably and the civilians regained their respect of the occupiers' strength. The rebellion was actually badly outnumbered -- perhaps my character should feel some guilt at choosing such a poor place to instigate something, but that feeling isn't in the game, and the player feels less than other people anyway.

Most of yesterday I spent trying to be robbed by bandits, but they kept looking away from me and forgetting I was there cowering (yielding after they demanded it). Hopefully that'll be sorted out soon as well.

I really want to play this right now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9482 on: March 04, 2014, 09:59:48 pm »

Quote from: devlog
Insurrections seem to be done. I spent time skulking around a mead hall, beheading the hated occupation soldiers that walked out the door and around the corner, and then I shared the good news with the locals. I didn't try to organize anything myself but instead just camped out in a nearby desert for a few days staring at my debugging tools. The rumors were widespread after a day, and a day after that an insurrection began. The revolt failed miserably and the civilians regained their respect of the occupiers' strength. The rebellion was actually badly outnumbered -- perhaps my character should feel some guilt at choosing such a poor place to instigate something, but that feeling isn't in the game, and the player feels less than other people anyway.

Most of yesterday I spent trying to be robbed by bandits, but they kept looking away from me and forgetting I was there cowering (yielding after they demanded it). Hopefully that'll be sorted out soon as well.

I really want to play this right now.

Me too, me too.

So, I guess now instead of bandit ambushes being a 'DIE!!' situation, it'll now be a SURRENDER OR DIE!!' situation. Telling your companions to surrender to the bandits is something else though...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: March 04, 2014, 11:23:21 pm »

Who knows, maybe the option to order your companions to surrender will be available, or maybe they'll surrender first or even ignore your orders.

Toady: is there already a mechanic similar to this in-play that we could invoke (affecting our party members) to avoid conflict?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9484 on: March 05, 2014, 09:47:21 am »

Devlog reminds me of Skyrim's "I surrender!" exclamations in battle. People crouch down and pretend to move away. Until they heal, when they just attack again. Except with the player this time.
(Also, yielding, did not expect that for some reason from the player. I've rarely seen games where you can give up AFTER starting a fight, besides running away.)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9485 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:00 am »

Devlog reminds me of Skyrim's "I surrender!" exclamations in battle. People crouch down and pretend to move away. Until they heal, when they just attack again. Except with the player this time.
(Also, yielding, did not expect that for some reason from the player. I've rarely seen games where you can give up AFTER starting a fight, besides running away.)
I agree that bandits should use the same logic before and after the start of hostilities to determine if fighting a good idea.  That should get rid of "Prepare to die! Don't kill me!" episodes.  But if someone massively underestimated a target, he/she should have some opportunity to apologize profusely and offer some kind of compensation (something short of total surrender).  I'm thinking of a punk who makes demands of a a lone villager who happened to have a bunch of buddies around the corner.

Of course, the attacked party is under no obligation to accept the attacker's terms.  Sleeping in the bed you made, and all that.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9486 on: March 05, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »

Do reanimated body parts invoke the same emotional responses in NPCs as inert ones? If so, is there additional terror associated with their undeath?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9487 on: March 05, 2014, 04:36:07 pm »

There is additional terror associated with undeath.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9488 on: March 05, 2014, 04:50:09 pm »

Do reanimated body parts invoke the same emotional responses in NPCs as inert ones? If so, is there additional terror associated with their undeath?
There are souls in DF, and I assume that's where the feelings are stored and processed. Zombies do not have souls. Which leads to a more interesting question:
Will ghost express feelings of horror upon seeing dead loved ones? Do they even still have loved ones? Do ghosts have feelings at all?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9489 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:20 pm »

Speaking of which:
Do you/are you planning to make a meaningful distinction between a creature's "mind" and their "soul"?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9490 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:24 pm »

Speaking of which:
Do you/are you planning to make a meaningful distinction between a creature's "mind" and their "soul"?

The current soul is a heterogeneous mix of personality, skills, and mental attributes, so arguably the distinction already exists.  Would "meaningful" mean like replacing a dwarf's personality while leaving their skills and mental attributes intact?

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9491 on: March 06, 2014, 12:58:14 pm »

I read recently (in this thread, just too tired to quote it) that the old type of reclaiming may come back, which basically was a military attack on a (mostly) empty fortress.

If this is to be true, will we be able to choose an ordinary reclaim with 7 dwarves, or to do an invasion? An invasion would give you less ability to choose civilian skills and items, but give you more military dwarves, for example.

With all the new updates, you could retire a fortress, which can later fall in enemy hands, will we be able to lead a invasion in order to reclaim that lost fortress, if we are still at war with that civilization?

If the answer to the above is yes, what would stop us to lead an invasion to any site controlled by a civ we are currently at war with, all it would need is that we start the game as the old reclaim version in a human city?

If I understand the recent development correctly, surrounding villages can succumb and be converted to villages of our own civ, in time...

If the answer to the above question is yes, then what would stop us from just doing an invasion/raid with an army, and later move on to another city?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9492 on: March 06, 2014, 01:09:16 pm »

I read recently (in this thread, just too tired to quote it) that the old type of reclaiming may come back, which basically was a military attack on a (mostly) empty fortress.

It may come back later.  It's not coming back in the upcoming release.

If this is to be true, will we be able to choose an ordinary reclaim with 7 dwarves, or to do an invasion? An invasion would give you less ability to choose civilian skills and items, but give you more military dwarves, for example.

With all the new updates, you could retire a fortress, which can later fall in enemy hands, will we be able to lead a invasion in order to reclaim that lost fortress, if we are still at war with that civilization?

If the answer to the above is yes, what would stop us to lead an invasion to any site controlled by a civ we are currently at war with, all it would need is that we start the game as the old reclaim version in a human city?

You won't be able to reclaim a site that is already controlled by another entity:
If you actually make a successful claim on a site, to the point where your entity is linked to it as the dominant entity (by taking your unopposed self as a stated claimant to a power location), then the site will no longer be reclaimable by anybody.  That would be an invasion, which we don't have in fort mode at this time.

If I understand the recent development correctly, surrounding villages can succumb and be converted to villages of our own civ, in time...

If the answer to the above question is yes, then what would stop us from just doing an invasion/raid with an army, and later move on to another city?

Taking control of villages only applies to Adventure Mode for now.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: March 06, 2014, 01:13:47 pm »

With the technology limit, does that consider technology and capabilities of people such as the Romans, Inca, and ancient Maya?

I am asking as there where some interesting mega projects those people made. Imagine if there was a civ or civs that only lived during the pre-hitory of worldgen or during the only years to build ancient structures.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:16:25 pm by Zavvnao »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9494 on: March 06, 2014, 01:30:56 pm »

With the technology limit, does that consider technology and capabilities of people such as the Romans, Inca, and ancient Maya?

I am asking as there where some interesting mega projects those people made. Imagine if there was a civ or civs that only lived during the pre-hitory of worldgen or during the only years to build ancient structures.

The so-called cutoff at 1400 is just a guideline -- there are exceptions on both sides of that line.  However, large engineering/architecture projects are 100% fair game, especially when dwarves are involved.  We already have pyramids, and there'll be other stuff like that later.

Toady:   Ruins have gone through a kind of degradation through the entire game. We used to have these pyramids and they'd have zombies wandering around on them, and you'd fight on the pyramid ... Or you'd go into these underground ruins that had these rooms that were kind of these random rooms and you'd fight zombies in them or whatever, and then we got rid of that, and then there were just kind of these ruined towns. And then ... you don't really see those anymore either. So, the positive side here is that the new development page has a section for treasure hunters, and that's when we're going to go back and make sure that we're getting the proper ruins from ...
Rainseeker:   (Indiana Jones theme)
Toady:   That's right, exactly. The proper ruins from older civilizations, and we're going to have to go through world generation and make sure that there are enough wars and famines and plagues and migrations and so on to make sure that there are nice isolated hidden ruins, then you'd be able to go into those.

This may happen in the nearish future:
Adventurer Role: Treasure Hunter
    Adventure sites
        Non-town sites need to created and used for various purposes in world generation (prisons, tombs, temples, mines, castles, etc.)
        These places should often fall into disuse (or not be active entity pop locations, as with a tomb)
        Old abandoned structures can be partially buried in available soil layers
        Sites should contain any appropriate items to their (possibly former) purpose
        World gen should utilize defunct sites and get them new inhabitants
        Existing town-style sites should be updated as possible (dwarf fortresses, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 01:38:33 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 631 632 [633] 634 635 ... 748