Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807779 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9465 on: March 03, 2014, 11:51:26 am »

I'm not sure, but didn't underground rivers flood?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9466 on: March 03, 2014, 11:52:45 am »

Two questions:

Will neutral parties (like hunting trips, migrants to different forts, etc) pass through fortresses without any intent to make contact?

In the future, yeah this is probably planned, but considering how small embarks usually are, the chances would be low unless you're close to civilization or close to (or even on) a trade route.

I'm not sure, but didn't underground rivers flood?

That was WAAAY back in the 2D version.

Are you planning on having the Dwarven (I'm mostly thinking hill dwarves), Elven, and the Goblin civs fight among themselves like the human civs in this next release? If you aren't planning on having them fight among themselves in their own ways, is it possible to allow them to have village to village squabbles by adding in the token(s) needed for it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:13:02 pm by smjjames »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #9467 on: March 03, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »

As I was riding the train today and idly watching the ever changing scenery, at the sight of flooded plains I realized something: Dwarf Fortress does not appear to have something like seasonal flooding! That would be a major civilization building/wrecking feature (see Nile, Mesopotamia etc.). Embarking in flood plains would have a whole set of consequences - not only you likely have to deal with aquifer, you've got to protect yourself against floods! If the river overcomes its banks and finds its way into your fortress entrance... On the plus side, invaders would be disadvantaged.

On the minus (or plus, depending on your views) side, you'd deal with aquatic invaders... Oh, and dwarves could always use the opportunity to put that swimming skill to use.

Has seasonal/natural flooding been considered? Is there room for such a dynamic feature or are performance implications outweighting the benefits? While we're at it, what about other natural calamities that we've all experienced as of late (extreme snowstorms, ice-clad vegetation, major mudslides following heavy raining especially in deforested areas, major wildfires etc.)?

I had a map some versions ago that actually had seasonal flooding due to some irregular thawing going from winter to spring (multiple biomes along the river). It was really rather neat, and since it was a desert I made the fortress Eqyptian themed.

Only problem is that my FPS died for a while every spring as the water flooded everywhere. Still, it was one of my more memorable forts and a lot of fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9468 on: March 03, 2014, 01:41:15 pm »

I miss the underground rivers and seasonal flooding. And the chasms.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9469 on: March 03, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »

I miss the underground rivers and seasonal flooding. And the chasms.

Yeah, chasms and rivers were badass.  Hopefully those make it back in sometime.

Has seasonal/natural flooding been considered? Is there room for such a dynamic feature or are performance implications outweighting the benefits? While we're at it, what about other natural calamities that we've all experienced as of late (extreme snowstorms, ice-clad vegetation, major mudslides following heavy raining especially in deforested areas, major wildfires etc.)?

Forest fires should work better in the upcoming version:
I've got the elf sites up to where they need to be. The last thing I updated was the firest -- they affect trees differently now, tile-by-tile. They tend to burn off leaves and smaller branches and keep larger parts intact or dead-but-still-around, depending on the intensity of the overall fire, so all the grass usually goes with some blackened stumps/branches left behind. There are still tree chopping and the continuing raw entry as I mentioned, but I'll work those out as we go.

Extreme weather is a long-term goal:
TERRAIN/WEATHER/SWIMMING/FLYING/BOATS: Boats of some kind might go in early to make different regions more accessible, but you won't be able to be a pirate or an undersea civ for quite a while. Rivers freeze with daily temperatures instead of seasonal temperatures. Realize river and ocean squares when you visit them (forcing town layouts to adapt). Realize interesting canyons and so on in such areas. Track hurricanes and other major storm/disasters, in-game and during world gen. Thunderstorms with lightning strikes (with corresponding lighting effects) and hail. Levels of rainfall. Eating snow, making snowballs and picking up hail during and after hail storms. Tornados with wind flows that push items, projectiles and creatures. Proper eclipse modeling. Tides, deep oceans and pearl-diving, etc. More intricate interplay between cliff faces, inner rivers and outer rivers, using Z coord and waterfalls.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:45:53 pm by Footkerchief »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9470 on: March 03, 2014, 01:50:27 pm »

From what I've seen, Toady doesn't remove a feature unless he plans to put it back in bigger and better later (dwarf/elf/goblin sites in the upcoming-ish release, for instance). Seasonal flooding will very likely come back in the future.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9471 on: March 03, 2014, 01:53:37 pm »

Underground rivers may never come back. After the first 3d version he abandoned them in favour of cave lakes because it was very hard to hit them in a 3D axis.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9472 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:32 pm »

Underground rivers may never come back. After the first 3d version he abandoned them in favour of cave lakes because it was very hard to hit them in a 3D axis.

Nah, there were underground rivers in the 3D versions up until DF2010. Multi-leveled, too.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:00:23 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9473 on: March 03, 2014, 02:33:10 pm »

Here's the latest quote I could find on flooding:
Certainly the fluid mechanics have improved over what they were in the original game where you had to deal with all kinds of buggy flood issues that completely ruined your fortress and that certainly made it harder. But there were also interesting flooding effects; like the seasonal floods that made farming more interesting, and there was more of a threat ... when you had to progress to the right, you had more of a threat from the underground than I think currently exists. So I am for bringing all those things back [...]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9474 on: March 03, 2014, 04:24:21 pm »

Nah, there were underground rivers in the 3D versions up until DF2010. Multi-leveled, too.

Indeed, they were quite spectacularly deadly. Damn giant olms always eating dwarves...

My understanding for their removal was that once caverns were realized, Toady didn't have time to spend making underground rivers, surface-accessible chasms, open pits, isolated cave lakes, etc. and the new caverns to play nice together. Hopefully it's not permanent, though, because the caverns as they are at the moment can get quite boring at times.

Toady, do you yet have a plan for how you're going to implement more complex subterranean features?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:26:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9475 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »

Caverns need a higher density of cave creatures for adventuring, so you can't walk for RL hours and see all of one troglodyte.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9476 on: March 03, 2014, 05:25:25 pm »

Caverns need a higher density of cave creatures for adventuring, so you can't walk for RL hours and see all of one troglodyte.

There's also a bug that prevents Fortress Mode invasions by the underground tribes.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9477 on: March 03, 2014, 05:37:38 pm »

Someone recently posted in the LFR topic about getting invaded by an underground tribe, though...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9478 on: March 03, 2014, 05:42:42 pm »

Its a bug that should be fixed in the next version.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9479 on: March 03, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Someone recently posted in the LFR topic about getting invaded by an underground tribe, though...

This?
I remember reading where you said you were not sure if the Grum were working right...I got a grum ambush last night. Or was it specifically sieges you were talking about?

Not sure how much we can tell from an ambush in a mod.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:58:48 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 630 631 [632] 633 634 ... 748