Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807525 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9285 on: February 18, 2014, 02:51:54 pm »

I wonder how people in adventurer mode will react if the zombified corpse of a relative crawls into their home. Would they recognize him/her?

They already do. There's even a specific thought for it.

Presumably you're referring to "has been attacked by own dead" from the string dump, but does that thought work properly in Fortress Mode, let alone Adventure Mode?

Also, there's a powergoal:
PowerGoal177, VERY FOUL, (Future): The foul vapors of the sewer cause the corpse of a discarded murder victim to arise. The zombie wanders back home. When the zombie sees her husband, her dead eyes flash in recognition, and she attacks, for it was he that murdered her!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:41 pm »

If one were to be at war with the elves, killed a siege and left the bodies to rot and then had a later siege contain family members of the fallen... Would they react upon seeing the bodies? If not, what more is required to have this happen?

Siegers obviously have some slight emotion already now with the morale checks so this miiight obviously be possible, even though it might be a bit of a stretch. I tend to constantly underestimate to what extent awesome stuff like this is made possible though so thought I'd ask :P

The problem is, this can't happen, since all siegers(With a few exceptions, like generals and rulers) are created from scratch, not taken from world gen population.
This is no longer true in the next release:
Quote from: DF Talk 19
Toady: The main thing dwarf mode gets this time around is this world continuation stuff with succession happening and your civilization not just dying out while you're playing, or whatever happens now with your guys walking on the screen and dying of old age, or I think I may have put in the thing where they just don't show up at all anymore, but you'll actually have that. You'll also be getting armies that are real. So, all the things that we're talking about with evil lieutenants and villains and all this stuff in adventure mode also applies to dwarf mode in terms of who's actually going to be showing up; you'll get people showing up with a story and a reason now, instead of just, like, the yearly goblin attack or whatever. Although, you still won't be able to respond, which is the big thing with the hill dwarves and army stuff we'll get to later.
Rainseeker: Now, will there sometimes be fortresses that never experience a goblin attack, for instance?
Toady: That is going to be something that's a lot more common now, so if you want to be a fortress that's a fortress, then you'd have to embark on the frontier, more of a border where you'd be harassed. It'll tell you about what you're getting into so you don't have to guess, but if you want to go the other direction and place yourself right in the middle of where the dwarves currently are then you're just not going to have those kinds of problems unless you invite them on yourself by digging downward, or whatever. So it'll be possible to have more control over your starting political situation, and you'll still have people to trade with that you can mess with, so if you really want to invite fighting with the elves or something like that and you want to keep squashing their caravans under drawbridges or whatever you want to do, then that'll still invite trouble, although it could be that the trouble you invite doesn't affect you specifically. If you start a war with the elves you might not be the closest settlement to the eleven border in which case you'd start a fight with one of your poor other dwarven civilizations, or whatever; you'd get the elves to attack one of your other sites.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: February 18, 2014, 03:28:33 pm »

With starting scenario's giving more purpose to forts, do you plan to expand the impact/role of the Expedition Leader etc? What do you think of manifesting fort mode players in the game world? After all, isn't a nature spirit just an Elvish equivalent of a Fortress Mode Player? As the world gets more detailed, things like unfortunate accidents(in their current form) will become more glaring and immersion breaking, but they're still too much fun/useful/difficult to get rid of. I know there are plans to eventually have adventurers gloriously, mortally and unomnisciently rule forts and so on, but it seems too important to reserve for that mode. Given that we currently play as Armok, perhaps players could be gods, though whether you'd only have influence in your sphere of control and/or competing with other gods would complicate matters. Could the game simply attempt to justify your actions in game, and let you see if you're happy with it?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:29 pm »

Toady One, can we have confirmation that siegers, aside from generals, will now come from the worldgen population rather than generated in the new version? There seems to be some confusion about whether or not that actually happens in the next version.

This ties directly into Manveru Taurënérs question.

Even if the goblins in the siege aren't directly related, seeing the corpses of comrades should have an effect now, maybe.

In one siege, when the siege had technically ended, there was this one goblin who decided to just charge right in anyway, but as soon as he saw the bodies in the traps, he was like 'oh shi...' and ran off.

Will kobold thieves now come from worldgen rather than being randomly generated as I think they are?

With starting scenario's giving more purpose to forts, do you plan to expand the impact/role of the Expedition Leader etc? What do you think of manifesting fort mode players in the game world? After all, isn't a nature spirit just an Elvish equivalent of a Fortress Mode Player? As the world gets more detailed, things like unfortunate accidents(in their current form) will become more glaring and immersion breaking, but they're still too much fun/useful/difficult to get rid of. I know there are plans to eventually have adventurers gloriously, mortally and unomnisciently rule forts and so on, but it seems too important to reserve for that mode. Given that we currently play as Armok, perhaps players could be gods, though whether you'd only have influence in your sphere of control and/or competing with other gods would complicate matters. Could the game simply attempt to justify your actions in game, and let you see if you're happy with it?

Starting scenarios aren't in yet I don't think.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:35:50 pm by smjjames »

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: February 18, 2014, 03:44:58 pm »

Note, I'm not saying that the bulk of armies isn't generated from the undifferentiated population pool, but armies come from specific sites now. So I'm extrapolating that they could have more historic figures to bring along, especially if the site lead an invasion in the past.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9290 on: February 18, 2014, 04:46:56 pm »

I'm assuming there hasn't been any mention of your companions becoming friends with each other, right? Because it would be fun to watch your whole group crumble (or fight harder) because one of the really popular members was killed by the enemy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:11:47 am by Parisbre56 »

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: February 18, 2014, 08:42:19 pm »

Pig poles with heads of Kobold thieves will be a pretty cheap deterrent.

I've long wondered if something like this might eventually happen with totems. Right now, they're useless except as cheap trade goods. But maybe someday they'll serve some use for frightening and/or antagonizing one's enemies.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: February 19, 2014, 03:06:03 am »

Will people freak out if you sell them the body parts of their dead relatives?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9293 on: February 19, 2014, 11:24:48 am »

Toady One, can we have confirmation that siegers, aside from generals, will now come from the worldgen population rather than generated in the new version? There seems to be some confusion about whether or not that actually happens in the next version.

This ties directly into Manveru Taurënérs question.

Even if the goblins in the siege aren't directly related, seeing the corpses of comrades should have an effect now, maybe.

In one siege, when the siege had technically ended, there was this one goblin who decided to just charge right in anyway, but as soon as he saw the bodies in the traps, he was like 'oh shi...' and ran off.

Toady has stated that one of the fun things of having realized sites is that you can follow on the (abstract) trails of your enemies, claiming vengeance upon a fallen fort or something like that. So yes, the same purple-haired guys that jumped over the moat and broke your dwarves' spines are the ones coming from existing dark fortresses and, presumably, you can go there as an adventurer and pay them a visit.

Will kobold thieves now come from worldgen rather than being randomly generated as I think they are?

This might only happen if kobold sites are still on track for this release (haven't heard of them in a while, so it's doubtful). Taking into reason the existence of other (edit) sites, it would be reasonable to have them as well appearing from the historic pool. Always wanted to meet those legendary thieves that have been harassing markets since day 1, and maybe be able to locate the runt that stole the artifacts from the aforementioned fallen fortress.

I've read that once starting scenarios get introduced, there will be a way to build a fortress with a group different from the ethereal Seven. Maybe a military expedition to the grim desert of horrors will have a different reason, ammount of dwarves and equipment than the few chubby guys willing to dig and frolick around the inner kingdom's lake, and their leaders will be suited to such tasks.

Aknowledging the presence of players hasn't been planned nor stated, and well, it just has to retain some elements of playability that make sense in the universe. It's planned to have gods as separate critters and entities, and maybe they'll enter the scene as soon as planes/4D make it to the game.

Nobody will say at any point "We're going to war against Aa's worshippers, because their god is an asshole covered in Cheetos and shame, plunging his minions from towers 120 stories high", but even unfortunate accidents will have their consequences covered in the deep, complex system, if they don't already have. Limiting the scope of what we can do would widely cut the appeal of this game. The personality rewrite is something I'm looking forward to experiment with, perhaps some kind of situations are easier or nearly impossible for certain individuals, but beyond that, I'm just as happy to have science and interactive simulation.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 11:26:38 am by Valtam »
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: February 19, 2014, 05:33:51 pm »

People will react to finding a murdered friend or family member, but will they be put off by just finding a corpse even if they have no idea who it was?

I'd be kind of freaked out by finding a head of a complete stranger in my house. So I'm wondering if find any corpse will bother a subject or if they just kind of take it at their leisure.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:30 pm »

Quote from: 02/19/2014 Toady One
Today's success was to have a crying mother spit on me and call me a murderer, so that's where we're at. Of course, people familiar with modding or magma crabs might guess that the first time she spit at me, the glob came out frozen and my murderous character, being handy with a sword, batted the saliva ice cube out of the park.

So, can you, the adventurer, also spit? I can see people weaponizing this or something.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9296 on: February 19, 2014, 09:00:52 pm »

(yep)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »

Yeah, you could have weaponized spit in the current release if you wanted, via material breath attacks.  The grief-spitting might entail a new type of USAGE_HINT, though.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: February 19, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »

Quote from: 02/19/2014 Toady One
Today's success was to have a crying mother spit on me and call me a murderer, so that's where we're at. Of course, people familiar with modding or magma crabs might guess that the first time she spit at me, the glob came out frozen and my murderous character, being handy with a sword, batted the saliva ice cube out of the park.

So, can you, the adventurer, also spit? I can see people weaponizing this or something.

(yep)

You knew someone would ask didn't ya. :D Anyways, thanks for the quick response I suppouse, if anything needs to be thanked :D

I suppose that now that we can have secretions from specific tissues (or can we do that now???), we can make unicorns cry rainbows or something.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9299 on: February 19, 2014, 09:34:45 pm »

(Secretion by part is old, but, yeah, we have a new usage hint for negative social response, and secretions can take an optional argument at the end for exertion or extreme emotion)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 748