Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807492 times)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9270 on: February 18, 2014, 04:26:59 am »

If someone smashes you into someone, killing that person, do you get the blame?

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9271 on: February 18, 2014, 06:47:19 am »

"Mum, I'm off to adventure!"
"I'm so terribly worried. Will you write to me every week, to let me know you're OK?"
"I'll do something even better! I'll just leave some of my hair here!"

Rah, while I was messing around in paint you beat me to the punchline.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9272 on: February 18, 2014, 06:59:24 am »

"Mum, I'm off to adventure!"
"I'm so terribly worried. Will you write to me every week, to let me know you're OK?"
"I'll do something even better! I'll just leave some of my hair here!"
Most certainly a theme in some fairy tales.

Except I distinctly remember it being a spoon, but a flock of hair would be just as symbolic. Especially since it already was something commonly left behind in an amulet.

Satche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Satche.ch
« Reply #9273 on: February 18, 2014, 07:55:09 am »

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9274 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:47 am »

Does the emotional impact of seeing dead bodies scale with the amount of dead bodies seen? Is it a linear progression?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9275 on: February 18, 2014, 08:57:52 am »

The AI of DF puts to shame the "Radiant AI" of the Elder Scrolls games..

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9276 on: February 18, 2014, 09:11:58 am »

If one were to be at war with the elves, killed a siege and left the bodies to rot and then had a later siege contain family members of the fallen... Would they react upon seeing the bodies? If not, what more is required to have this happen?

Siegers obviously have some slight emotion already now with the morale checks so this miiight obviously be possible, even though it might be a bit of a stretch. I tend to constantly underestimate to what extent awesome stuff like this is made possible though so thought I'd ask :P

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9277 on: February 18, 2014, 09:49:29 am »

If one were to be at war with the elves, killed a siege and left the bodies to rot and then had a later siege contain family members of the fallen... Would they react upon seeing the bodies? If not, what more is required to have this happen?

Siegers obviously have some slight emotion already now with the morale checks so this miiight obviously be possible, even though it might be a bit of a stretch. I tend to constantly underestimate to what extent awesome stuff like this is made possible though so thought I'd ask :P

The problem is, this can't happen, since all siegers(With a few exceptions, like generals and rulers) are created from scratch, not taken from world gen population.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9278 on: February 18, 2014, 09:56:04 am »

The problem is, this can't happen, since all siegers(With a few exceptions, like generals and rulers) are created from scratch, not taken from world gen population.

At some point they are going to start taking from the world gen population. Not in this update though.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9279 on: February 18, 2014, 09:59:40 am »

Right, forgot that :<

Oh well, a nice thing to look forward to in the future then perhaps ^^

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9280 on: February 18, 2014, 10:17:54 am »

Right, forgot that :<

Oh well, a nice thing to look forward to in the future then perhaps ^^

Wait, I don't know if this is true, but aren't survivors of sieges who make it off the map saved as historical figures and they can potentially come back? Still doesn't mean that they'll have relations.

Still a good question though as to whether that would affect their morale.

Clatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9281 on: February 18, 2014, 01:03:28 pm »

The emotional responses to fallen comrads sound intriguing!  I wonder how this will roll during battle?  Will there will be a few other attributes that will start shifting dwarves from an extreme adrenaline rush to reflection as they tire out?  Moral is going to be a major player... I can see the new title tagline now, "Chapter III: Fun with PTSD!" :D

Pig poles with heads of Kobold thieves will be a pretty cheap deterrent.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9282 on: February 18, 2014, 02:28:04 pm »

I wonder how people in adventurer mode will react if the zombified corpse of a relative crawls into their home. Would they recognize him/her?

Not going to green that, it will be much more fun to test that using proper science. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 02:30:07 pm by Bralbaard »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9283 on: February 18, 2014, 02:34:10 pm »

I wonder how people in adventurer mode will react if the zombified corpse of a relative crawls into their home. Would they recognize him/her?

They already do. There's even a specific thought for it.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9284 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:21 pm »

The AI of DF puts to shame the "Radiant AI" of the Elder Scrolls games..

To be fair though, that doesn't take all that much. The Gothic series pretty much had the same as the Elder Scrolls, and that came out in 2001.

DF is pretty much in a league of its own - relatively few major game titles have really gone in for procedural generation and behaviour.
Pages: 1 ... 617 618 [619] 620 621 ... 748