Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807656 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9255 on: February 17, 2014, 06:50:28 am »

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9256 on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:26 am »

Meh, so long as I can punch people without becoming an entity enemy instantly and get quests all from the same place, this should be good. I mean, with booze they'd be better, but for now this kind of bar should do the trick.

Speaking of which, all this multi-layered political gameplay sounds like a precursor to the "Thief" role described on the dev page. This release is going to be epic.

Man, this feels like the day before Christmas when I was younger but for a few weeks on end.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9257 on: February 17, 2014, 03:36:27 pm »

This update is certainly going to be one of the biggest, the way I'm looking at it. We've got people making up motivations and thought processes for their dwarves when they have anecdotes of irrational behavior. Now they might not need to, since after the release they'll already have irrational motivations we can potentially look up.

Things will probably be quite crazy here after the release as players try to figure out the !!SCIENCE!! behind personality and combat levels, like just how much you can poke an NPC without getting into lethal trouble. There will also be several blooper reels out of arena experiments involving jumping and climbing. Several worlds will be created and deleted just for reading Legends mode and getting a handle on the dynamics of civilization. And all the knowledge gleaned will be utilized for killing elves with magma, but this time more efficiently.

And then someone will find a way to unleash that demonic site gray goo stuff Toady mentioned.

Quote from: Tawarochir's sig
In other fantasy games, the priest kills the vampire. In Dwarf Fortress, the priest IS the vampire!

That's going to be fun whenever priests start giving quests to slay night creatures. Though I've already seen a text LP where a lord gave a quest to slay a vampire... he was wearing numerous decorations made from the bones of the victims, which kind of tipped off the adventurer as to whom the vampire was posing as.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #9258 on: February 17, 2014, 03:43:49 pm »

Haha. A Lord once gave me a quest to kill his own son, who dwelt in the dungeons. It was weird reporting the success  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9259 on: February 17, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »

Several worlds will be created and deleted just for reading Legends mode and getting a handle on the dynamics of civilization.

There's something really wistful about incoming world deletion, given how those tiny mischief makers will all have personalities and thoughts, colorful dreams and sketchy plans bound to be never known.

Such potential of things that will never be mindlessly slaughtered.

My first round of 2014 fortresses will be purposed to create bridges and outposts for my (hopefully) long-lived adventurers to eat-n'-go while they do their... Adventuring, I guess. Never before I've had such a burning desire to walk through an entirely huge world and meet its inhabitants.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9260 on: February 17, 2014, 07:08:49 pm »

How strongly tied do you wish dwarven sites to be to class? The Hill Dwarves are looking a bit like peasants,  the Fortress Dwarves are the mover's and shakers, and the Deep Dwarves are surely a interesting middle class. However, a war above or below could easily leave Hill or Deep sites as the safest locations, and if they're the focus of economic activity the class distribution could change quickly.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9261 on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:33 pm »

How strongly tied do you wish dwarven sites to be to class? The Hill Dwarves are looking a bit like peasants,  the Fortress Dwarves are the mover's and shakers, and the Deep Dwarves are surely a interesting middle class. However, a war above or below could easily leave Hill or Deep sites as the safest locations, and if they're the focus of economic activity the class distribution could change quickly.

Hill dwarves are definitely lower-class:

the hill dwarf settlements, just these ... they're either carved into the sides of existing hillside slopes, or they make their own mounds if they're in a flatter area, then they just grow some gardens, above and below and hang out and drink ... all the time and live in complete squalor.

And Toady's made a simply ridiculous amount of jokes about hill dwarves being somehow degraded.

Deep dwarves are... interesting:

Capntastic:   So the deep down dwarves, when they come up, maybe they should just be very very allergic to the sun?
Toady:   Well they will be cave adapted.
Rainseeker:   Exactly.
Capntastic:   But extremely cave adapted, have another tier.
Toady:   Maybe blind, they'll just lose their eyes.
Capntastic:   They'll be blind and they'll be completely white, you know, like those cave fish.
Toady:   Beardless, beardless, no, they'll have flesh that replaces the beard or something like these tendrils that come out..
Capntastic:   Fleshy beards?
Toady:   Translucent fleshy beards that generate light, but they don't have eyes, so it doesn't mean anything. And yeah, they have alcohol detectors in their stomachs and so on, they waddle around and roll in the mud. And yeah, so that's about like a dwarf. That's what we expect from a dwarf.
Rainseeker:   Ya, that's pretty good.
Toady:   A Cthulu-esque mob that comes out of the deep.
Capntastic:   But they're friendly and they talk with a Scottish accent.
Toady:   That's right. Scottish deep spawn. It's interesting being in this position, because now we've got all kinds of choices. I'm not sure those are the choices we're going to make, but got all kinds of choices, so it should be cool.

I figure they're probably some sort of yeoman class, since the fortress denizens are pretty clearly high-class in comparison. Of course, the class system of dwarves don't quite line up with middle-age european ones, by the looks of it.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9262 on: February 17, 2014, 10:32:36 pm »

Now that dwarves can have emotional breakdowns on seeing body parts from dead relatives, will this cause more !!FUN!! in fortress mode? Maybe we should bury those dead dwarves in Moltenchannels.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #9263 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:33 pm »

Concept art.

Judging by the fact that hill dwarves sound like dirty beard-hobbits, I pictured them like hoboes. Thing is, dwarves are already hoboes (scratching living off dirt, showering as little as possible, drinking booze whenever possible), so I decided they'd look like double hoboes, twice as many flies, a barrel of booze instead of a begging hat, etc. etc.

The Deep Dwarf is designed to look funny in drawings.

Also, Archmage, my guess would be that it would be best to either always put them in coffins or designate our hardcore military dwarves who don't care how dead someone is to throw their bodies in "the pile". "The pile" should be in a sealed room on a trapdoor system directly over a noble's bed, just in case.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #9264 on: February 17, 2014, 10:40:12 pm »

So are people's emotional reactions to the deaths of others influenced by opinion, or just relationship status?  For example what if someone hears that their parent got killed, but they hated said parent?

Edit: quoted someone because I was too lazy to change the color myself, then forgot to erase the quote tag so it looked like my entire post was quoting Captain Archmage
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:28:51 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9265 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:13 pm »

Hill dwarves are definitely lower-class:

the hill dwarf settlements, just these ... they're either carved into the sides of existing hillside slopes, or they make their own mounds if they're in a flatter area, then they just grow some gardens, above and below and hang out and drink ... all the time and live in complete squalor.

And Toady's made a simply ridiculous amount of jokes about hill dwarves being somehow degraded.

Deep dwarves are... interesting:

Capntastic:   So the deep down dwarves, when they come up, maybe they should just be very very allergic to the sun?
Toady:   Well they will be cave adapted.
Rainseeker:   Exactly.
Capntastic:   But extremely cave adapted, have another tier.
Toady:   Maybe blind, they'll just lose their eyes.
Capntastic:   They'll be blind and they'll be completely white, you know, like those cave fish.
Toady:   Beardless, beardless, no, they'll have flesh that replaces the beard or something like these tendrils that come out..
Capntastic:   Fleshy beards?
Toady:   Translucent fleshy beards that generate light, but they don't have eyes, so it doesn't mean anything. And yeah, they have alcohol detectors in their stomachs and so on, they waddle around and roll in the mud. And yeah, so that's about like a dwarf. That's what we expect from a dwarf.
Rainseeker:   Ya, that's pretty good.
Toady:   A Cthulu-esque mob that comes out of the deep.
Capntastic:   But they're friendly and they talk with a Scottish accent.
Toady:   That's right. Scottish deep spawn. It's interesting being in this position, because now we've got all kinds of choices. I'm not sure those are the choices we're going to make, but got all kinds of choices, so it should be cool.

I figure they're probably some sort of yeoman class, since the fortress denizens are pretty clearly high-class in comparison. Of course, the class system of dwarves don't quite line up with middle-age european ones, by the looks of it.

Hill Dwarves sound like hobbits, from the description, except drunker and more beard.

There are three types of Dwarf sites though right (in worldgen that is)? The hill sites, the deep dwarf sites, and the mountainhomes/mountainholds.

I led one party member into a room where rested a dead relative, and they fell to the ground crying... which is depressing.
Wow, immersive.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:59:01 pm by smjjames »

Anin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9266 on: February 18, 2014, 03:10:32 am »

I led one party member into a room where rested a dead relative, and they fell to the ground crying... which is depressing.
Wow, immersive.
Yeah, Seeing things like that just make me itch for the release more. >.<
Standard DF procedure, people find bugs, report them and then proceed to kill Elves in creative ways with the bug until its resolved.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9267 on: February 18, 2014, 03:24:23 am »

And if you drop a tooth from a bar fight in a different room with some relatives, nobody will care, but if you later go and kill the former owner of the tooth, then you'll hear people cry out in the distance as long as they are still on the map, since they'll suddenly recognize the tooth as belonging to somebody deceased

I read this and then first thing i thought was: Nice, this could be used to transfer messages. You just need enough sacrifices.

i am a bad person. :(
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9268 on: February 18, 2014, 03:31:22 am »

"Mum, I'm off to adventure!"
"I'm so terribly worried. Will you write to me every week, to let me know you're OK?"
"I'll do something even better! I'll just leave some of my hair here!"

Satche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Satche.ch
« Reply #9269 on: February 18, 2014, 04:24:49 am »

People now react at the sight of friends' body parts. What if I enter a room, covered of the blood of a relative ? Or if I have a body part wielded/in inventory but I don't drop/throw it ?
Pages: 1 ... 616 617 [618] 619 620 ... 748