Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807869 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #9195 on: February 12, 2014, 01:15:23 pm »

Well, if you're nearly blind the U.S space shuttle does sort of look like an orca...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9196 on: February 12, 2014, 02:21:49 pm »

If you charge at someone, full speed, weapon drawn, will they perceive an attack before you are right next to them? What about NPC attacks, are they recognized before the enemy is in melee range?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9197 on: February 12, 2014, 04:19:18 pm »

If you charge at someone, full speed, weapon drawn, will they perceive an attack before you are right next to them? What about NPC attacks, are they recognized before the enemy is in melee range?

This seems to largely overlap with your previous question:
Quote from: King Mir
If you aim an attack at a friendly target, do they realize you are attacking them and are no longer friendly immediately, or after the attack lands, or does it depend on their observer skill? What about witnesses? What if by some fluke the target dies before the hit lands, would a witness still consider that assault?

When attacking with a ranged attack, what counts for witnessing the attack? Does the bystander need to see the you, your target, both, or either?

Yeah, right now they get that information.  Eventually we'll have cause to be more picky about it, but we're more worried about people standing idiotically while you attack them.  I don't recall if the event is generated on the initiation or the strike.  That'll also determine how ranged attacks work.  It's probably on the strike.  This would give them extra information about the shooter since the incident doesn't yet have missing knowledge, but we'll get to fixing that at some point.

KrEstoF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9198 on: February 12, 2014, 06:54:42 pm »

Toady...  that crossbowman that shot you five times was an elf, wasn't it?   :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9199 on: February 12, 2014, 07:08:13 pm »

Elves? With crossbows?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9200 on: February 12, 2014, 07:11:46 pm »

This seems to largely overlap with your previous question:
Quote from: King Mir
If you aim an attack at a friendly target, do they realize you are attacking them and are no longer friendly immediately, or after the attack lands, or does it depend on their observer skill? What about witnesses? What if by some fluke the target dies before the hit lands, would a witness still consider that assault?

When attacking with a ranged attack, what counts for witnessing the attack? Does the bystander need to see the you, your target, both, or either?

Yeah, right now they get that information.  Eventually we'll have cause to be more picky about it, but we're more worried about people standing idiotically while you attack them.  I don't recall if the event is generated on the initiation or the strike.  That'll also determine how ranged attacks work.  It's probably on the strike.  This would give them extra information about the shooter since the incident doesn't yet have missing knowledge, but we'll get to fixing that at some point.
There's some overlap, but I want to know if there's a disparity with PC and NPC melee charges. Especially now that we're in the last stretch of changes. Also, Toady talked about how going around with your weapon drawn should eventually matter, and this seems like a case where it really should.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9201 on: February 13, 2014, 12:33:47 am »

Elves? With crossbows?

Organic, free range crossbows.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9202 on: February 13, 2014, 01:28:44 am »

I dunno, I think an elf would walk into town, see a whole bunch of non-grown-dwellings and start slaughtering and eating people in the name of its forest gods so it wouldn't even stop to talk and join up with an adventurer.  Leastways, that's the impression I'm getting from the new version.   ;D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #9203 on: February 13, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »

Well, we currently only have evidence that village-village conflicts of this sort occur only within human civilizations, so the companion was probably a human from a different village. Technically could have been an elf born into human civilization, I suppose, but I'd assume they still drop all of their animal-loving elfyness and adopt only human traditions, so the cause would still be that he liked the animals more than Toady due to having a bone to pick with Toady's character's home town and having no relationship with the animals.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9204 on: February 13, 2014, 02:18:18 pm »

I REALLY hope that we see the similar kind of stuff between hill forts or between Elven towns. The human civs can't have all the fun with the new stuff.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9205 on: February 13, 2014, 02:29:27 pm »

Witnessing an elf sneak attack on a dwarf woodcutting site would be quite interesting indeed.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:31:28 pm by PigtailLlama »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9206 on: February 13, 2014, 02:31:18 pm »

And I really hope to recreate this "bug" but with some context ranging from years long plotted revenge to simply being insane or a criminal looking for easy loot and anything in between, like turning over on you for money or simply a change of heart.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:49:17 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9207 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53:04 am »

Witnessing an elf sneak attack on a dwarf woodcutting site would be quite interesting indeed.

I meant the conflict stuff between two dwarven sites or two elven sites, but yes interactions between two races would be good too.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #9208 on: February 14, 2014, 07:56:13 am »

Ah the unforeseen consequences of interlinking so much. You think YOUR dialogue tree is expansive? Try this!
One hundred choices of dialogue, and not a black/white morality indicator in sight!

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW!?

Uh, there. Right there. I can't pronounce its name, but it's a goat twisted into the form of a toad reciting Hamlet while demonstrating advanced aerobics. 

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9209 on: February 14, 2014, 10:07:04 am »

Not gonna properly green this since it's more along the lines of a suggestion, but:

With all of this new conversation stuff, will there be a way to view what people/places/events our character "knows" about?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!
Pages: 1 ... 612 613 [614] 615 616 ... 748