Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805787 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8970 on: January 28, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »

Personally, I think Toady should just put night troll abductions into the game already.

The eternal tension between features and the release.

Now that vehicle collisions have been fixed, does that mean the minecarts in the gravity-fed minecart autocannon will stack up to the ceiling?

I think the fix was most likely for one or more of these bugs, not a new stacking mechanic.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8971 on: January 28, 2014, 01:18:34 pm »

Sure there's a way to suspend aging. The necromancer syndrome already does it. The only thing is, it's likely permanent.

Hm, Mephs Masterwork mod has tons of syndrome stuff, maybe he would know how to do this? Maybe some kind of reverse secret, I dunno.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:56 pm »

In order for the experiment to work and for it to be true stasis, the syndrome would have to eliminate the need for food and drink. Also, I don't think there is a way to suspend the aging proccess, so you'd have to use young dwarves (or children even) to make sure they don't die of old age, or increase lifespan in the raws.

Fifty twenty year old dwarves, twenty five male and twenty five female, are put locked in a chamber
Dwarves live to be 150-170 years old, and they'd only end up being 120 years old after 100 years. It would take a lot of careful management (or luck) to get 50 20-year-old dwarves, though, so increasing their lifespan would make it a lot easier to obtain dwarves that wouldn't die after 100 years.

One possible way to circumvent the eating/drinking problem would be to transform the dwarves into another creature or caste with [NO_EAT], [NO_DRINK], etc., or even add those tags to all dwarves (although the syndrome would still be necessary for hibernation).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:04:25 pm by lethosor »
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8973 on: January 28, 2014, 02:07:26 pm »

The syndrome can give them [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK]
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8974 on: January 28, 2014, 02:36:41 pm »

Why don't you leave that question for the actual release and find out what happens yourself? ;D

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: January 28, 2014, 02:58:37 pm »

I imagine there may be a problem with the syndrome being properly realized when the dwarves are offloaded.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: January 28, 2014, 03:03:42 pm »

Nah, they're stored just fine in the historical figure.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05:26 pm »

I agree with DarkDXZ, as much as we discuss about it, it will only be hypothetical until its tested in the new version.

Also, I since FBs can attack retired forts (I think), its entirely up to the RNG as to what they will find.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8978 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:11 pm »

But they need to be more than stored. You want the dwarves to wake up in the same spot they fall asleep, without consuming food or drink, and without producing any goods. As more of those are tracked, more attention is needed to make sure syndromes that prevent them are honored.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: January 28, 2014, 03:18:28 pm »

Units are also stored if my reading of the save folders is correct.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8980 on: January 28, 2014, 03:21:44 pm »

Toady, please release the new version ASAP, so people stop doing these futile questions!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: January 28, 2014, 03:22:50 pm »

He's already releasing it ASAP :P

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: January 28, 2014, 03:40:14 pm »

Lol thvaz.....

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: January 28, 2014, 04:15:33 pm »

Toady hasn't mentioned any changes to the way the game decides where creatures residing in a fortress will be placed in that site. I suspect that locking dwarves in a room underground with zero access will more than likely still result in them showing up above-ground.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: January 28, 2014, 04:29:17 pm »

Well for propper handling of this teh engine would have to to a pathing check. Much like "is there a open way to the map-edge?" for every creature. Also it would have to consider doors and such and the ability of the creature to use/destroy them.

It would be a tideous thing to go and code that for a Lone vampire but it would be possible. 

A transformation like the werebeast syndrom should work. No Eat, no drink and a predefined creature that is Imobile. The syndrom also should Render the transformed dorf unconcious. Fix that to a fooditem (apples?) and restrict the stockpile to the Hybernation Chamber.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.
Pages: 1 ... 597 598 [599] 600 601 ... 748