Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805975 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8955 on: January 27, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »

Yeah, I understood it, I think. I don't think Toady is explicitly planning to make social predators hunt together as a pack, though, since he hasn't mentioned it AFAIK. Seeing it as "emergent behavior" wherein a few individuals target the same prey item and give chase, who are then chased by the remainder of the members of the group because they want to stick together is entirely possible. That sort of behavior already occurs in goblin squads where the leader seeks out a target and the rest of the squad clusters around the leader.

Troglodytes are probably a good example of pack hunters in the caverns. They certainly love to invade your fortress and murder your dwarves in packs :P

Cave crawlers, jabberers, green devourers, and maybe really ambitious giant cave spiders are probably more likely candidates for predators of animals like rutherers. At least, my memory tells me those are all fairly hefty carnivores/omnivores.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8956 on: January 27, 2014, 07:56:45 pm »

GCS probably eats nearly everything in the caverns that doesn't have supernatural powers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8957 on: January 27, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »

Yes I understood too.. perhaps it was just a poor example, but a valid one nevertheless. But as Eric point out, Toady hasn't said anything about that kind of behavior specifically.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8958 on: January 27, 2014, 08:32:45 pm »

A hypothetical that just crossed my mind.

Fifty twenty year old dwarves, twenty five male and twenty five female, are put locked in a chamber within the magma sea with seeds, picks, axes, booze, and other necessities and through the clever use of syndromes put in stasis for a hundred years. Once the chamber has been sealed and the inhabitants put into hibernation, all entrances to the fort are closed off and the dwarves not lucky enough to be chosen for the experiment are killed, either through magma or another syndrome. Also inside the chamber is a lever that will open a passage between the chamber and the rest of the fort, for use after the syndrome takes its course. The fort is then retired.

The fort is reclaimed a year or two before the dwarves in the chamber wake up. When they pull the lever and enter into the actual fort, what will they see? What about outside the fort?

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8959 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:06 pm »

I have no idea what to make of Just Some Guy's question, but it does remind me of something I've been wondering about recently.

In retired forts, do the various denizens of the fort respect pathing while the fort is retired? That is, if I put a dwarf vampire into an oubliette, retired the fort, and then unretired the fort, would the vampire still be there? Would the same hold for an army of captured goblins held prisoner in a giant pit with smoothed walls (or a sealed off chamber)? Would a revealed circus destroy a retired fort from the inside even if it was isolated from the dwarven population by, say, some cast obsidian?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8960 on: January 28, 2014, 06:02:00 am »

Fifty twenty year old dwarves, twenty five male and twenty five female, are put locked in a chamber within the magma sea with seeds, picks, axes, booze, and other necessities and through the clever use of syndromes put in stasis for a hundred years. Once the chamber has been sealed and the inhabitants put into hibernation, all entrances to the fort are closed off and the dwarves not lucky enough to be chosen for the experiment are killed, either through magma or another syndrome. Also inside the chamber is a lever that will open a passage between the chamber and the rest of the fort, for use after the syndrome takes its course. The fort is then retired.

The fort is reclaimed a year or two before the dwarves in the chamber wake up. When they pull the lever and enter into the actual fort, what will they see? What about outside the fort?

This is !!SCIENCE!! material in its purest and most literal form right there.

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8961 on: January 28, 2014, 08:36:30 am »

Seeing as the recent devblog update concerns lairs and night creature abductions, I was wondering how this behavior might play out on "civilized" spouse converters. It is 100% possible to create a civilization of "mono-gendered" spouse converters that survive and thrive in world-gen in the current release (As long as you define their Converted Spouse and set them to never be born the game generates them abstractly.) I was wondering if, when included, the abduction system would cause a [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] civ who declares war on a [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET] civ to spouse convert their prisoners?

I realize that changing the lair code doesn't really change the behavior or nature of night creatures as it stands, nor of spouse converters, but I'm curious as to how this might be used in mods and such further down the line.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:43:32 am by TastyMints »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8962 on: January 28, 2014, 10:10:24 am »

Seeing as the recent devblog update concerns lairs and night creature abductions, I was wondering how this behavior might play out on "civilized" spouse converters. It is 100% possible to create a civilization of "mono-gendered" spouse converters that survive and thrive in world-gen in the current release (As long as you define their Converted Spouse and set them to never be born the game generates them abstractly.) I was wondering if, when included, the abduction system would cause a [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] civ who declares war on a [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET] civ to spouse convert their prisoners?

I realize that changing the lair code doesn't really change the behavior or nature of night creatures as it stands, nor of spouse converters, but I'm curious as to how this might be used in mods and such further down the line.
Judging from goblins and their children abduction thing, they would simply hate each other very much. And, as in Dwarf Mode, periodically send ambushes and sieges to loot your fort.

I can't wait for looting actually. When losing to a goblin siege no longer means literally everyone is slaughtered, and they actually take some of the damn wealth that attracted them in the first place. We have yielding now, and occupation; the steps to surrendering and plunder are already there.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8963 on: January 28, 2014, 11:28:19 am »

I can't wait for looting actually.

I can't wait for EVERYTHING in this release, actually.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8964 on: January 28, 2014, 12:17:28 pm »

Personally, I think Toady should just put night troll abductions into the game already.

Now that vehicle collisions have been fixed, does that mean the minecarts in the gravity-fed minecart autocannon will stack up to the ceiling?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8965 on: January 28, 2014, 12:18:18 pm »

In order for the experiment to work and for it to be true stasis, the syndrome would have to eliminate the need for food and drink. Also, I don't think there is a way to suspend the aging proccess, so you'd have to use young dwarves (or children even) to make sure they don't die of old age, or increase lifespan in the raws.

Bonus points if you do it in a freezing biome and the dwarves all have their own icy chambers.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8966 on: January 28, 2014, 12:20:28 pm »

Sure there's a way to suspend aging. The necromancer syndrome already does it. The only thing is, it's likely permanent.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8967 on: January 28, 2014, 12:43:20 pm »

Coudln't you just mod in a temporary syndrome then?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8968 on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:33 pm »

What I mean is, I think if you remove the syndrome after they're far older than their natural lifespan, they just die.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8969 on: January 28, 2014, 01:04:15 pm »

Because the game keep adding their age chronologically (I think), despite whatever it's physiologically age might be. For that kind of stuff you would need some kind of Snow White or Sleeping beauty syndrome that not only make them sleep, but also that makes the game engine not age them or make them special cases where the years they went in hibernation are not take into account towards their biological age.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 596 597 [598] 599 600 ... 748