Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806480 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8895 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:49 pm »

Actually we don't know how far into alpha we are in, seeing as 1.00 would merely serve as an indicator of "100 core items implemented", rather than "All features are implemented", IIRC.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8896 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:35 pm »

Actually we don't know how far into alpha we are in, seeing as 1.00 would merely serve as an indicator of "100 core items implemented", rather than "All features are implemented", IIRC.

IIRC toady changed the version numbering so that the number was just a rough percentage of cores completed (rather than the actual number of cores completed) when he shortened up the version numbers.

So yeah, version 34 would mean more or less a third of the way there (and I imagine DF2014 will be a bit higher).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8897 on: January 24, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »

Do caravans still bring barrels of blood & ichor? What is the intention for those anyways - Blood sausage/black pudding production in butcheries or kitchens?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8898 on: January 24, 2014, 06:06:29 pm »

Do caravans still bring barrels of blood & ichor? What is the intention for those anyways - Blood sausage/black pudding production in butcheries or kitchens?

It's for the vampires, I suppose.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8899 on: January 24, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »

"All core features completed" means "alpha done".

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8900 on: January 24, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »

It's for the vampires, I suppose.
As strange as barrels of blood being a popular commodity is, traders pandering to the needs of vampires in a world where vampires are seen as blood-thirsty, night-stalking monsters who need to be exterminated would be even stranger. Vampires don't drink blood that doesn't come straight from a neck anyway, so the barrels of blood and ichor are useless at the moment.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8901 on: January 24, 2014, 07:43:46 pm »

I think its the way DF processes things.  The game doesn't divide materials into useless and useful, it just knows which materials a civ has access to.

Kind of like how towns get filled with bone crafts because the civs have bone, not because bone crafts serve a purpose.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8902 on: January 24, 2014, 08:43:38 pm »

Oh man, now we're really going to have to pay attention to who we put in the militia. They could just be a waste of resources to arm them for nothing when it gets down to it.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8903 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

Cowards need not apply!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8904 on: January 24, 2014, 09:10:53 pm »

It's going to make all those dehumanizing supersoldier programs even more useful, just for the mental toughness.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8905 on: January 24, 2014, 11:36:03 pm »

This is just soooo awesome. Finally starting to see some more direct personality derived behaviour :D

How does it determine that a soldier runs away rather than fights? Is there some kind of will check involved, that can be overcome based on other stats or just plain luck? Will it matter what kind of creature a dwarf is confronted with, for example facing a creature he detests or a megabeast vs an animal?

The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it. I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift. Today I cleaned up some dwarf mode problems with their generally broken minds. A soldier failed to move when confronted with a kill-ordered adder through a series of bug fixes, and when I finally got some movement, he ran away and climbed up a tree. He has "great difficulty mastering his fear when confronted with danger", so I guess that wasn't a bug, although he didn't seem to be afraid of heights at all. His friends on the squad managed to take care of the snake.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8906 on: January 25, 2014, 12:02:02 am »

This is just soooo awesome. Finally starting to see some more direct personality derived behaviour :D

How does it determine that a soldier runs away rather than fights? Is there some kind of will check involved, that can be overcome based on other stats or just plain luck? Will it matter what kind of creature a dwarf is confronted with, for example facing a creature he detests or a megabeast vs an animal?

The Power of Play talk went over well enough -- we should have a link once they post it. I guess I'll stay on a day schedule until I drift. Today I cleaned up some dwarf mode problems with their generally broken minds. A soldier failed to move when confronted with a kill-ordered adder through a series of bug fixes, and when I finally got some movement, he ran away and climbed up a tree. He has "great difficulty mastering his fear when confronted with danger", so I guess that wasn't a bug, although he didn't seem to be afraid of heights at all. His friends on the squad managed to take care of the snake.

In the most recent DF Talk on combat there was some prolonged discussion about yielding and running, where size of the enemy force is definitely taken into account.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8907 on: January 25, 2014, 12:14:36 am »

*snicker*
that's awesome. So in that dwarf's mind, the force was far larger than him. Of course, his buddy just said, "chill, dude, it's a snake. Look, it's dead, I killed it. You can come down now."
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8908 on: January 25, 2014, 12:49:46 am »

In the most recent DF Talk on combat there was some prolonged discussion about yielding and running, where size of the enemy force is definitely taken into account.

Rainseeker:    Now, if you've broken his wrist, is he gonna stop fighting?
Toady:    This is, (laughter) the new part about, way early on when we were doing the bandit occupations of town we added all this stuff from non lethal combat about yielding, and all that. And that comes up even in the arena now! I think I might end up changing that so you can have a setting on the arena about, is this no quarter fighting? or is this non-lethal? ‘Cause, ‘cause right now in the arena if you set ten people on ten people and then just say three or so on one side dies, then that side will just all stop and scream ‘I yield, I yield' and the other side will stop fighting too and just stand over them with their swords and that'll be the end of the arena fight. And there are some other funny bugs happening now, like if you take three people in the arena that are all sorta on the independent side so everybody's fighting everybody they all just run away, they're all like ‘I'm not fighting two guys!'. (laughter) Everyone runs away.

There are, there are issues and problems from the new yielding code right now, but I'll probably just have an option in the arena to set what level of intensity you want, so then you can set up like a bar fight in the arena or something. You can also set up mounts in the arena now, ‘cause I have, thats another thing about the move/combat speed split stuff, it counts your current momentum in the attack, as long as your momentum - your velocity vector or whatever, is pointing toward the guy and the guy is either not moving or not moving away faster from you so that there is actual motion toward the other person. And if a person is running at you, you actually get the same bonus. So as long as there's relative motion, that's at least ninety degrees. So it could be perpendicular motion, or motion toward the person, then you get a bonus to your swing speed that's in line with how fast you're moving, so, and it also takes into account the speed of anything you're riding.

Now this doesn't mean I've added in adventure mode mounts yet - there's probably some bug in the arena when you control a mounted adventurer or whatever but it's something we're, I don't know how far I'm gonna get with that but it's fun to, it was fun to control the mount. I created a horse with a person riding it and then another horse with a person riding it and then took control of one of the horses and then just kind of rode around and tried to get my person the best gallop I could to dismount the other person or whatever. It'd be a fun game by itself I guess, it's like controlling the horse. So that'll all be interesting when we get that done and it is probably going to be something that causes adventure mode mounts to happen sooner rather than later, but I'm trying not to add anything else this release because it's getting long in the tooth.

Rainseeker:    Right. So now if you're, speaking of a psychological angle, if you're fighting a, say you're fighting a group of goblins or ‘evil creatures', if you kill a couple of them will they split up and run, or realise you're better than they, or..
Toady:    Yes. Yeah, yeah. People are endowed with slightly more sense now. And..
Rainseeker:    Are there creatures that don't?
Toady:    Are there creatures that don't? This is one of the easy to fix bugs that's also in the arena right now. When I was playing an aardvark, I was fighting another aardvark, and the aardvark yielded to me. So I'm sure it's something that I wrote down, 'cause there are a bunch of bugs, I'm pretty sure that that was written down way back months ago and that was just one of those things I was going to go handle during cleanup, but yeah there are going to be things that don't give up. The dead likely aren't going to yield and run away, uh, animals..
Capntastic:    Zombie yield, zombie yield!
Toady:    (laughter) Animals will probably be able to run away but they aren't gonna talk about it too much. And then people will, there's already a personality component to this. So some people yield more easily than others. Then there's also, when people get enraged there's that whole sort of rage thing, that, there's aside from the yield effects there's also the, if you become enraged, or a dwarf or whatever becomes enraged. Or a badger as often happens becomes enraged, then it only lets them throw wild attacks. So it's not a, it's a less advantageous state than it was previously and yeah. So it's, but you don't want to be hit by one of those either. It's still better to be more talented or just to stay away. Stay away from something that's angry.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8909 on: January 25, 2014, 01:06:21 am »

As informative as all that is it sadly doesn't really answer either of the 2 questions. Not that it really matters that much, I'm sure it'll make it in later on either way. would be nice to know though ^^
Pages: 1 ... 592 593 [594] 595 596 ... 748