Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806584 times)

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8880 on: January 24, 2014, 08:21:45 am »

You can always thicken up the wall, though. It's kind of recommended due to building destroyers anyways, or until you're able to pump up magma to the surface so you can improve the effectiveness of your (magma-safe) defensive walls with lavafalls.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:18 am »

You can always thicken up the wall, though. It's kind of recommended due to building destroyers anyways, or until you're able to pump up magma to the surface so you can improve the effectiveness of your (magma-safe) defensive walls with lavafalls.

Building destroyers can't do a thing about constructed walls yet. (Yet.)

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: January 24, 2014, 10:10:06 am »

When they can, it will be time to upgrade your walls with a juicy magma filling.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: January 24, 2014, 10:14:45 am »

When they can, it will be time to upgrade your walls with a juicy magma filling.

A pressurized juicy magma filling. >:D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:27 am »

And so the fortress defense meta has shifted overnight...

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8885 on: January 24, 2014, 12:27:30 pm »

Will climbers be able to hang from the ceiling?

If they can, it would cause trouble with overhangs.

When invaders get grappling hooks, you will need to completely seal off an area, or build walls and fortifications up to the to z-level. Yes, you can build fortifications on the highest level.

How much of an effect does the new dwarven personality system have on the way they work i.e. item quality?

One reason for the lack of updates seems to be that Toady was in a video game conference.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: January 24, 2014, 12:53:22 pm »

Will climbers be able to hang from the ceiling?

Toady already answered the last time you asked this:

Quote from: thvaz
We will have creatures like spiders climbing on the ceilings?
Quote from: CaptainArchmage
With the inclusion of climbing, will invaders now be able to scale walls?

Will creatures be able to grapple a ceiling?

Will creatures be able to climb up and over raised drawbridges?
Quote from: Vattic
Will we be able to specify that some creatures can climb smooth and ice walls?

I haven't done super-climbers yet that can use smoother surfaces, but it'll have to go in sometime.  Climbing specifies the surface that is held, and this currently includes being able to hang in an air tile while you hold on to a tile above (like tree branches), so ceiling walking can use the floor/wall type above in the same way.  I haven't addressed buildings like raised drawbridges or doors.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: January 24, 2014, 12:59:33 pm »

Ummm so maybe rough surfaces might enable entities to hang from them... quite the nightmare of arachnophobic players if you ask me.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: January 24, 2014, 01:27:24 pm »

I haven't addressed buildings like raised drawbridges or doors.

Seems like we can make climber-proof walls by surrounding them with raised drawbridges.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Dazenith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: January 24, 2014, 01:51:46 pm »

What about those building destroyers made of magma?  :-\

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: January 24, 2014, 01:54:11 pm »

What about those building destroyers made of magma?  :-\

Make an extra water filling behind the magma.
Duh.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: January 24, 2014, 03:24:42 pm »

I remember an earlier discussion claiming that goblins should have some kind of invulnerable monster that can tunnel right through walls, magma, and water, so that players wouldn't use the "cheap" strategy of sealing their fort in an obsidian cube with water and magma envelopes around it. The conclusion we came to was that if someone can engineer such a thing, they deserve their invincible fort. Invincible right up until someone fails a strange mood, that is.

Anyway, even with climbing, walls should pose some obstacle rather than merely adding distance. It's hardly realistic to expect armored troops to come swarming up over the ramparts, else why bother building the ramparts, and why bother bringing siege engines to breach them? Will people in armor climb slower/get tired faster than unarmored climbers? How fast do creatures climb in general, compared to walking up stairs?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: January 24, 2014, 04:39:47 pm »

I mean the more basic issue is that if you were to surround yourself in an obsidian cube in real life, you'd die due to conservation of matter.  You can't create more food or water or air, so you WANT access to the outside world in RL.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: January 24, 2014, 04:50:49 pm »

Well, IRL, with sufficiently advanced life-support, you can continue to recycle the same materials as long as you have an influx of energy to keep the recycling processes going.

As we're dealing with quasi-medieval technology, though, this legendary cube of dwarven engineering would probably have some complex opening mechanism that allows stuff to get in and out, which would be shut during siege. Or perhaps shut at all times, and only opened to refill the stockpiles when necessary. The point being that something like it requires a lot of effort and cleverness to build, and thus isn't a "cheap" strategy that requires the enemy get an automatic counter to for "balance". It doesn't need additional weaknesses, and doesn't make the defenders utterly invincible as destruction from within still remains possible (failed moods, tantrum spirals, and in future releases, disease and starvation.)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: January 24, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »

Yeah, I see that.  However, I also don't think 100% defense should ever be possible, barring maybe bizarre magic.  It should be a matter of resource conflict.  For example even with the super-cube on your side, it should be possible to starve you out if the attackers are determined enough.

All of which is sort of moot now, since we're a third of the way through alpha.  I'm hoping we'll see this kind of balance eventually.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 748