Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807447 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8790 on: January 17, 2014, 01:45:26 am »

How deep are worldgenned dwarf fortresses?

There was some discussion about how deep they'd be, but that was before they were coded.

Probably as deep as the deep sites, down to the first cavern level since forgotten beast attacks have been mentioned.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: January 17, 2014, 07:32:58 am »

There was some discussion about how deep they'd be, but that was before they were coded.

This quote is from after fortresses were worked on:

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
In which cavern layers are the deep sites going to be?

Right now I've got forts going from the surface down to the magma and deep sites up in the first layer.  Currently the thinking is to reserve the secret stuff for the forts (not just player ones, but that special category of site), which are also better armed for dealing with deeper troubles from layers two and three.  It'll be fine to make deep sites more interesting over time, but I also don't want to smear things too much, especially since they aren't reclaimable -- this makes keeping the most interesting stuff in forts more important.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: January 17, 2014, 10:23:18 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I have a late morning thing next week and in the switch-around off graveyard developed jet lag braindeath, but today was better. Even though it is winter, I've seen so much sun lately it has been like visiting an alien world. In any case, I put a bow on demon sites, which ended up with me finally using the last random raw frameworks that have been sitting around forever (entities, items). They have turned into a testbed for the gray goo of full randomization, but hopefully we won't be hearing any more from them before the release as stuff continues to become done

Holy cow, randomized demon societies... or something?  That should be exciting.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: January 17, 2014, 10:35:08 pm »

01/17/2014  I have a late morning thing next week and in the switch-around off graveyard developed jet lag braindeath, but today was better. Even though it is winter, I've seen so much sun lately it has been like visiting an alien world. In any case, I put a bow on demon sites, which ended up with me finally using the last random raw frameworks that have been sitting around forever (entities, items). They have turned into a testbed for the gray goo of full randomization, but hopefully we won't be hearing any more from them before the release as stuff continues to become done.

The jetlag sounds terrible. Hope it gets better!

Alright, we get randomized entities items in the new version? Does that mean there will be demon civilizations in those depths of the world?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8794 on: January 17, 2014, 10:35:58 pm »

I have no idea why people debate  me when I saw this is the biggest update ever :I

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8795 on: January 17, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »

I have no idea why people debate  me when I saw this is the biggest update ever :I
I thought the z-level was even bigger. But then again, I didn't play DF then...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8796 on: January 17, 2014, 10:50:44 pm »

Maybe on the highest level (I.E presentation), but when it comes to actual changing of the game and features and such this is biggest. Maybe 0.31 had the most affect on the workings, but this one adds the most features.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: January 18, 2014, 12:10:31 am »

This quote is from after fortresses were worked on:

Quote from: CaptainArchmage
In which cavern layers are the deep sites going to be?

Right now I've got forts going from the surface down to the magma and deep sites up in the first layer.  Currently the thinking is to reserve the secret stuff for the forts (not just player ones, but that special category of site), which are also better armed for dealing with deeper troubles from layers two and three.  It'll be fine to make deep sites more interesting over time, but I also don't want to smear things too much, especially since they aren't reclaimable -- this makes keeping the most interesting stuff in forts more important.
Thanks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8798 on: January 18, 2014, 12:14:06 am »

I have a late morning thing next week and in the switch-around off graveyard developed jet lag braindeath, but today was better. Even though it is winter, I've seen so much sun lately it has been like visiting an alien world. In any case, I put a bow on demon sites, which ended up with me finally using the last random raw frameworks that have been sitting around forever (entities, items). They have turned into a testbed for the gray goo of full randomization, but hopefully we won't be hearing any more from them before the release as stuff continues to become done

I wonder if the new demon sites are something like demon towns? (demon civilizations? OH NOES!)

I wonder if they'll have a chance to be friendly with you (whether fort or adventurer) or if they are auto-hostile to anything that is not a demon.

Does anybody know whether demons (the randomly generated ones, not the ones that escape at worldgen) automatically have the [CAN_SPEAK] and [INTELLIGENT] tags?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:17:11 am by smjjames »

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: January 18, 2014, 12:20:01 am »

From what I heard the game was re-written between 40d and DF2010. This meant there were changes but besides the new cavern system and map depth the changes weren't as massive as they are now. In this update the world will be well populated and there will be things going on at every level of the world, even deep down. Pity it took so long.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: January 18, 2014, 12:24:21 am »

Does anybody know whether demons (the randomly generated ones, not the ones that escape at worldgen) automatically have the [CAN_SPEAK] and [INTELLIGENT] tags?

It's random. Those who've made it into the HFS may notice that some types of demons are butchered and others are left alone.

Some are basically wild animals, while others are generated as intelligent beings.

E: I don't know if this will change, however.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:28:14 am by BlackFlyme »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: January 18, 2014, 12:26:38 am »

I wonder if the new demon sites are something like demon towns? (demon civilizations? OH NOES!)

I wonder if they'll have a chance to be friendly with you (whether fort or adventurer) or if they are auto-hostile to anything that is not a demon.

I literally went out of my way to make a thread to speculate demons in. Voila. You don't have to use the spoiler tags they are btw.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: January 18, 2014, 12:51:09 am »

. Pity it took so long.
Pity it didn't. Had it come any sooner, or any later, it would not be the same as it's going to be.
That's just how the universe works. No use saying "what if", for the path is set...

Until we finally travel laterally across the second temporal dimension. Time is two dimensional, you know. We only perceive one because of the forces that keep us all in a straight line.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:07 am »

Until we finally travel laterally across the second temporal dimension. Time is two dimensional, you know. We only perceive one because of the forces that keep us all in a straight line.

Don't start on time; there are things about time and its spatial form, as well as space's temporal form, that cannot be comprehended by anyone two cackles short of bat-shit insane.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: January 18, 2014, 06:42:00 am »

So by how many times has DF2014's dev cycle beaten the previous record holder already (and remind me which version it was)?
Pages: 1 ... 585 586 [587] 588 589 ... 748