Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807457 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8775 on: January 16, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »

Will entities with slavery permitted go around enslaving people in-game? Can a player be enslaved?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8776 on: January 16, 2014, 06:01:47 pm »

We would have heard, especially since night creatures dragging people off to convert them into spouses (a similar, more immediately relevant feature) isn't in yet.

Toady would probably go on to say we'd need the thief arc stuff or people wouldn't know how to punish their slaves.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8777 on: January 16, 2014, 06:14:01 pm »

If we retire a player fort, will dwarves (or invaders) add new buildings to it?

I seriously doubt it if the AI designs as poorly as Toady One claims. The AI would just undo your work in horrible ways. While that would definetly be FUN in more ways than one, it can quickly become annoying.

It'll be interesting to see how the AI deals with the various designs and aspects of player forts, and the bugs that arise from them.

Imagine leaving mysterious levers around as if for other players in a succession game. Now imagine them in the hands of AI who don't need orders from you to pull them :D

I think that is all abstracted out for now. Buildings could be destroyed during sieges or added to the existing fortress, but it will not fully simulate the fortress like a succession game.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8778 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:25 pm »

Will entities with slavery permitted go around enslaving people in-game? Can a player be enslaved?
I think we can safely say that players will never be enslaved - how would you even play that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

blazing glory

« Reply #8779 on: January 16, 2014, 06:37:21 pm »

I think we can safely say that players will never be enslaved - how would you even play that?

you pick up the fork... Really aim an attack at the slave master?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8780 on: January 16, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »

you pick up the fork... Really aim an attack at the slave master?
I imagine players can be enslaved the same way they can be imprisoned for life: currently, not at all, but an option in the future; options for escape presumably coming in tandem.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8781 on: January 16, 2014, 07:04:01 pm »

I'd find playing as a slave interesting... although if there was no immediate threat of death or likelihood of escape, I'd want a time skip option.  Or at the very least for manual labor tasks to be one action to initiate and then if nothing happens it jumps ahead to the task being done.

If its ever possible to have an "adventure" where you take on a civilian role (be a peasant and live out your life sustenance farming, be a blacksmith and make swords and horseshoes) I imagine being a slave would be like that but more interesting.  You'd have your job, and then on top of that you have to deal with the possibility of escape attempts and the dangers of being at the button of society's ladder.  The trade off being that the game wouldn't really be a sandbox until you escape... but then, that would be the point.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8782 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:02 pm »

I dunno, I would find it a lot more interesting to be a village blacksmith who picks up because of wanderlust, or a peasant driven from his home by marauding undead, rather than just kind of appearing in the middle of a random village.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8783 on: January 16, 2014, 08:24:56 pm »

I'd find playing as a slave interesting... although if there was no immediate threat of death or likelihood of escape, I'd want a time skip option.  Or at the very least for manual labor tasks to be one action to initiate and then if nothing happens it jumps ahead to the task being done.

If its ever possible to have an "adventure" where you take on a civilian role (be a peasant and live out your life sustenance farming, be a blacksmith and make swords and horseshoes) I imagine being a slave would be like that but more interesting.  You'd have your job, and then on top of that you have to deal with the possibility of escape attempts and the dangers of being at the button of society's ladder.  The trade off being that the game wouldn't really be a sandbox until you escape... but then, that would be the point.

It could be the start of an interesting career if they went the standard fantasy route of slavery: you get sent to the gladiator pits or to the front line as a grunt.

Or, even better: Be legendary misc. weapon user. Get enslaved. Use chains to kill your way to freedom!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xanmyral

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning: May contain ham
    • View Profile
« Reply #8784 on: January 16, 2014, 09:04:44 pm »

I'd honestly find it awesome if you could start or become a slave and fight/sneak/persuade your way out of it through escape. Maybe you just kill your way out after getting lucky and getting your hands on a good weapon, maybe you stealth out with just yourself or a friend or two, maybe you start a full fledged uprising...

There's fun stuff to be had. I do agree with the Hat on skipping past the menial labor unless something interesting came up or if you actually want to do it do it manually however.

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8785 on: January 16, 2014, 11:02:49 pm »

Yeah, I think it'd be quite interesting to play as an enslaved or imprisoned character. A deeper justice system is already planned for DF, including adventure mode, as well as time compression while a character learns a skill or works on a task; slavery isn't such a huge leap from that. Personally, I'd enjoy the challenge of playing an enslaved character working to find some way to escape. Alternately, waiting ten years until the character is an accepted member of the goblins/whoever and resuming control after that point would also be interesting. The insurrection stuff slated for the next release even suggests that one could eventually lead a slave rebellion.

"You're all named Spartacus? Your parents must have been interesting."
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8786 on: January 16, 2014, 11:32:03 pm »

Some stories are just asking to be told. 12 Years a Dwarf, anyone? Uristacus, Dastot Unchained... Wonder what happens when things get touchy and the world has access to slave trade. Would it stir a bone or two in the ethics department?

Toady, if sites aren't going to be absolutely ruled by a single entity, but rather by a series of claims, is it possible to see something like a "goblin neighborhood" inside a large town, where conquered or fully integrated goblins (like the ones that currently live peacefully among humans and other races) develop their own architecture? Or the goblin buildings are only built when a properly goblin civilization is in charge? I assume the second scenario is the most likely, but it never hurts to ask.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8787 on: January 16, 2014, 11:35:29 pm »

Some stories are just asking to be told. 12 Years a Dwarf, anyone? Uristacus, Dastot Unchained... Wonder what happens when things get touchy and the world has access to slave trade. Would it stir a bone or two in the ethics department?

Toady, if sites aren't going to be absolutely ruled by a single entity, but rather by a series of claims, is it possible to see something like a "goblin neighborhood" inside a large town, where conquered or fully integrated goblins (like the ones that currently live peacefully among humans and other races) develop their own architecture? Or the goblin buildings are only built when a properly goblin civilization is in charge? I assume the second scenario is the most likely, but it never hurts to ask.
If the first one is the case, then will dwarves and elves have the same influence on new buildings?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8788 on: January 16, 2014, 11:49:11 pm »

Player enslavement is fair game for the future, but not in this release:
Quote from: Greendogo
Will the following ever be possible?: Your adventurer and his companions are taken captive and sold to a slave caravan transporting them deep underground to the caverns for days, joining in with the other inmates and captured subterranean folk to fight off attacking underground monsters while the evil goblins and dwarves who captured you bet on survivors, finally ending your trek in a deep slavery trade depot, whereupon non-player characters are sold for hard labor and the player character must somewhere along the way devise his escape.

There are precursor elements for that in world gen and you can find slaves in adventure mode that came about from world gen.  Natural extensions of these systems would involve the player in whatever way, but as with everything, it currently sits as it sits.

As for captives resulting from site occupation, that was yet to be resolved last time Toady mentioned it:
Quote from: Tov01
How extensive will Goblin slavery be in the next release? I know that kidnapped children are in, but is anything else planned?

There are slaves on the sites at times, though humans seem just as good at it, if not better, since they tend to leave more people alive.  I haven't particularly addressed this yet, though we are still quite likely to do more with site occupation before the release.

Eventually, yes.  Not in the next release though:
We haven't really planned a lot for version 1 especially for massively multiracial forts with like ten goblins hanging out, but really when you get back to some of this entity stuff we were talking about, there should be a notion of them cliquing up a bit and making a sub-entity, at least for certain races. It's quite possible that goblins with all their kidnapping behaviour and so on don't really see the species of the creatures the same way and might not even clique up based on their goblin nature unless they're spurned by the rest of the dwarves or something. It's all going to depend on how that works out, I don't pretend to have the algorithms set up for making sure that stuff is going to work right, but hopefully that would be one of the main considerations when you start forming sub-groups like miners' guild is if there's multiple species in the fort.
[...]
Also, once we've got these sites, like all the different ways that the races build things, we'll be able to start thinking about things like 'What does a place look like if it was owned by humans for the first half and then owned by dwarves for the second half?' There could be, like, the old town part and then extended past that it suddenly dips down into the earth and there are all this dwarf mining operation surrounding an old human city. Theoretically we should be able to do all that stuff; it's all pretty modular the way things glue together by necessity because in adventure mode when you're walking around you load sections of the map, right? So everything is subject to these restrictions of having to live in a certain-sized space, but that means that if you want to have the flavor of the map change it's really not so bad. I mean ideally you'd like things to intermesh in a not-square way, but for a starting point we certainly have an easy problem and then it only becomes harder when you try and make it look really organic, but it's good, it's always possible to move forward with this stuff, so we're going to have all kinds of cool things going on.

If the first one is the case, then will dwarves and elves have the same influence on new buildings?

It'll all apply for any race.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8789 on: January 17, 2014, 12:37:29 am »

How deep are worldgenned dwarf fortresses?

There was some discussion about how deep they'd be, but that was before they were coded.
Pages: 1 ... 584 585 [586] 587 588 ... 748