Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807667 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8760 on: January 15, 2014, 11:02:27 am »

I think you may not have quoted the relevant part:
Weird. It's there in klipper. I must have accidentally deleted it when I decided to remove another question. Either way, to me it reads that kobolds are supposed to form some kind of market.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8761 on: January 15, 2014, 11:42:39 am »

It's ambiguous.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8762 on: January 15, 2014, 01:00:41 pm »

If we retire a player fort, will dwarves (or invaders) add new buildings to it?

I seriously doubt it if the AI designs as poorly as Toady One claims. The AI would just undo your work in horrible ways. While that would definetly be FUN in more ways than one, it can quickly become annoying.

It'll be interesting to see how the AI deals with the various designs and aspects of player forts, and the bugs that arise from them.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:40:21 pm by smjjames »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8763 on: January 15, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »

It makes sense that kobolds would at least know the bassic concept of trade - exchange of stolen goods would be vital for any [SKULKING] entity.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8764 on: January 15, 2014, 03:28:21 pm »

I seriously doubt it if the AI designs as poorly as Toady One claims. The AI would just undo your work in horrible ways. While that would definetly be FUN in more ways than one, it can quickly become annoying.

It'll be interesting to see how the AI deals with the various designs and aspects of player forts, and the bugs that arise from them.

Imagine leaving mysterious levers around as if for other players in a succession game. Now imagine them in the hands of AI who don't need orders from you to pull them :D

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8765 on: January 15, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady has alluded to AI not using complex devices, such as things linked to levers.

But for hilarity sake, cue the suicide booth parade!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8766 on: January 15, 2014, 05:38:51 pm »

Will dwarves migrate to player made fortresses that have been retired? If so, can we set specific restrictions on the number of immigrants that are allowed?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bandreus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8767 on: January 15, 2014, 08:16:14 pm »

Actually this is pretty much up in the air, as we got the very first instance ever (I think) of the AI modifying existing sites in the latest devlog.

Today I allowed certain sites to move away from their strict preset building types a bit, with goblins currently being able to alter sites that they are occupying. Trenches and small towers can now pop up in human villages, elf sites and dwarf hill sites that have been taken after some time passes.

That being said, I would assume Toady is going to favor the player's ability to return to a retired fortress without having to undo anything stupid done by the AI, meaning retired forts are not going to be altered in the next release. Unless he doesn't.

If the fort is however being occupied by goblins after retirement... who knows? Toady didn't mention player forts in the devlog, but still that might end up being a concrete possibility.
Check out Enôrbomrek: Bluewhips a community fort and story by me.
Clearly, our top dwarven scientists are hard at work creating a new breed of SUPER WAGON that can survive being scuttled by enemy wagonmancers! These new super wagon troopers will be able to carry TWICE the cargo, be 1/3 the size, and NEVER scuttle!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8768 on: January 16, 2014, 08:30:05 am »

Can you retire while under siege, and let the AI handle it?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8769 on: January 16, 2014, 09:33:32 am »

This question is going to delay the release by a month. ;)
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8770 on: January 16, 2014, 12:18:38 pm »

No. Toady has said a few times that there are no army battles yet. I would guess that either you'll have only an abandon fort option, or the retirement option becomes a give in to siege option.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8771 on: January 16, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »

"Your strength has been broken"

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8772 on: January 16, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »

I suspect this question may have already been answered, but:

Are there any plans to add player-made layouts into the world generation as NPC fortresses?

I expect this could cause some difficulty if worldgen tries to place a highly Z-level variable fort into an area that can't really fit, but then again it would be pretty interesting to cross a fort that sticks up and out of the ground or mountain - that is, any rooms that lack walls (because there is no natural terrain around them) can have constructed walls replace them. Other difficulties might be integrated water and magma systems.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8773 on: January 16, 2014, 05:37:29 pm »

I suspect this question may have already been answered, but:

Are there any plans to add player-made layouts into the world generation as NPC fortresses?

I expect this could cause some difficulty if worldgen tries to place a highly Z-level variable fort into an area that can't really fit, but then again it would be pretty interesting to cross a fort that sticks up and out of the ground or mountain - that is, any rooms that lack walls (because there is no natural terrain around them) can have constructed walls replace them. Other difficulties might be integrated water and magma systems.

Suggestions go in the Suggestions forum, where this is frequently posted:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30790.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=39304.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=132725.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59455.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63894.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63054.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26435.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55021.0

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8774 on: January 16, 2014, 05:44:06 pm »

It's difficult to know whether it was an already-considered planned goal. Only if that was not the case would it have been a suggestion.

I agree that I could have just asked pretty much anyone rather than asking directly with a colored question.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 748