Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807137 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8700 on: January 11, 2014, 01:13:14 pm »

No devblog for the last two days. Either mind-numbingly boring stuff is going on or Toady is wrapping up things for a release.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8701 on: January 11, 2014, 01:29:19 pm »

No devblog for the last two days. Either mind-numbingly boring stuff is going on or Toady is wrapping up things for a release.

It's not unusual for the devlog to skip a day or two, especially when the last entry was essay-length.  Also, sometimes they get posted in the afternoon.  I'm pretty sure the release is still weeks away, minimum.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8702 on: January 11, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »

Dwarf Fortress 2014 confirmed!
Geez, now I know how do those Half-Life guys feel all the time. Or maybe he took off the weekend, I think there's still some stuff left on the alleged notes that we've not already seen in development, kobold caves anyone? It's highly unlikely we get a release in the next week or two.

... Oh, well, Ninjago'd by Footkerchief, no less.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8703 on: January 11, 2014, 01:49:05 pm »

After the notes are done with you should add ~two weeks of extra time for the testing period, which we're close to, but not at, at least it doesn't seem like it.

Still, a February release seems very much likely.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8704 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »

I don't know, the way things have been going as of late, I'm thinking a mid-March release is more likely (at the very minimum). 
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8705 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:00 pm »

There were periods, especially with the Holidays, where he didn't post for several days. It seems reasonable to imagine that he, at the very minimum, has to thoroughly look over for bugs to avoid things like the spastic sun.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8706 on: January 11, 2014, 06:21:36 pm »

I don't know, the way things have been going as of late, I'm thinking a mid-March release is more likely (at the very minimum).
Toady said it would be out March. He just didn't say what year.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8707 on: January 11, 2014, 06:32:06 pm »

Toady said it would be out March. He just didn't say what year.

Mind=Blown  :o

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8708 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:26 pm »

And he also said he's not particularly great at estimation. And considering that this is the longest stretch of time without a release, it's fair to say it's gotten worse. It could very well have been released March of 2011. It's that hard to predict. Of course, we would have seen it by now. But there's probably people keeping it underground. They don't want to share their time travel Dwarf Fortress.

Actually that made me think of something: has a version of DF ever been released earlier than predicted? I know it has never happened past DF 2010, but perhaps before 40d?
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8709 on: January 11, 2014, 08:50:09 pm »

And he also said he's not particularly great at estimation. And considering that this is the longest stretch of time without a release, it's fair to say it's gotten worse. It could very well have been released March of 2011. It's that hard to predict. Of course, we would have seen it by now. But there's probably people keeping it underground. They don't want to share their time travel Dwarf Fortress.

Actually that made me think of something: has a version of DF ever been released earlier than predicted? I know it has never happened past DF 2010, but perhaps before 40d?

Toady One has the source tightly locked down, so I SERIOUSLY doubt that theres some underground group with a hacked version from in the middle of development.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8710 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:09 pm »

I believe "earlier than original predictions" is what was meant.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8711 on: January 11, 2014, 09:07:01 pm »

There were periods, especially with the Holidays, where he didn't post for several days. It seems reasonable to imagine that he, at the very minimum, has to thoroughly look over for bugs to avoid things like the spastic sun.

Isn't having the Sun jumping around backwards and forwards in the sky like a dwarf with a strange mood just part of the quintessential dwarf fortress experience?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8712 on: January 12, 2014, 02:04:00 am »

In 2010 Toady had the game tested by a small group of testers before release. Given that this version surpassed 2010 DF's length of development I wonder if he is gonna try it again.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8713 on: January 12, 2014, 06:02:48 am »

I think, after reading the latest update on progress, that there will come a day where people will turn on DF not to play Fortress or Adventure, but to read Legend Mode and compare it to the Silmarillion. "Hey pal, have you read Dwarf Fortress?"
"You mean, the Ever-changing story of Madness and Blood?"
"I had the Ever-Changing story of Despair and Grief."
"In the year 25, this and this happened."
"In my case, the year 98 is when things went bang!"
"Oh and here I had a large demon war raging against..."
"But in my case..."
"And when the book is finished...we create a new one!"
"New characters, new names, new flaws...new motifs..."
And that was how the fantasy industry began to take hits in the midsections.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8714 on: January 12, 2014, 06:20:56 am »

People already do that. At least I do. :v
Pages: 1 ... 579 580 [581] 582 583 ... 748