Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806745 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8625 on: January 09, 2014, 12:48:51 pm »

Never mind! Have you seen the dev log of today??!! Basically the engine made a Smaug situation where a Dragon got a hold of a freaking Dwarf Fortress during world gen!!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: January 09, 2014, 12:54:01 pm »

Huh. Not showing up for me.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: January 09, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »

Huh. Not showing up for me.

Try refreshing the page.

" Toady One I went ahead and made the reclaims more interesting by allowing forgotten beasts to be active in world generation"

Forgotten Beast hunting anybody!?!? :D :D ;D

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: January 09, 2014, 12:59:20 pm »

Now forgotten beasts seem to claim or at least hang out on fortress (and presumably other sites). The history of "The necromancers of the seven towers" is a vivid example of what I was saying earlier. Eventually this game will make Tolkien look like an aficionado. (if already hasn't by this height).
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: January 09, 2014, 01:12:17 pm »

1) Demon Wars. Yesssss

2) I imagine nobody wanted to claim the crown because all the other claimants met a horrible end. Of course, this is why it's gonna be cool when heroic adventurers can rule nations, since that situation is basically crying out for a "noble hero to pull the sword from the stone and overthrow the dark demons and vile necromancers which plague the land" scenario. There's even a Steward of Gondor kind of thing with the "self-styled" baron and the widower general! I really hope the major release after this one is starting scenarios.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: January 09, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »

BEST DEVLOG EVER

2) I imagine nobody wanted to claim the crown because all the other claimants met a horrible end. Of course, this is why it's gonna be cool when heroic adventurers can rule nations, since that situation is basically crying out for a "noble hero to pull the sword from the stone and overthrow the dark demons and vile necromancers which plague the land" scenario. There's even a Steward of Gondor kind of thing with the "self-styled" baron and the widower general! I really hope the major release after this one is starting scenarios.

What are you talking about? This one is already an start scenario!

What is best in Toady's stories about what happen in his tests are that there is none or very little invention there... everything was generated by the game.

My eagerness for the next version is officially unbearable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:29:17 pm by thvaz »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: January 09, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

Wow.
I...I'm at a loss for words.

...Dwarf Fortress 2014 is going to be the greatest Dwarf Fortress to date!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »

Wow.

So much potential for awesome bugs <3

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: January 09, 2014, 01:43:47 pm »

Of course, some of the forgotten beasts occupying worldgen fortresses will be comically weak.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: January 09, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »

Wow.

So much potential for awesome features <3

FTFY.
With love.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: January 09, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »

Damn...
Had to take a deep breath and let this sift through before posting. What a devlog.
Thanks for your efforts, Toady! I'm just filled with this weird, childlike creeping enthusiasm and I can barely contain it. So in with a question:

How are civilians reacting to an invading monster that happens to be their object of fervent adoration? I know this happens seldomly with dwarves, given that their usual spheres might be related to a few titans and creatures from deep below, and they'll often kneel before their appearance while those same twisted gods rip their heads and souls apart.

Also, is pilmigrage only considered with marriage and violent displacement in the next release? Or do you plan to enable bare-bones religious or political reasons to show up as well? Now that the personality rewrite is up, I was thinking about scenarios of moving to the town that has the temple of a preferred god or just because a peasant is "sick of it all" and packs up to a place with an agreeable government, and they seem valid and simple (not trying to shoehorn them as suggestions, mind you). Maybe not for this release, but in regard of both questions, it would be awesome to see a lot of ill-advised townspeople flocking to the outskirts of a ruined fortress or town, just because their megabeast of choice is nesting there for the time being.

This is just awesome. Excuse me, fellow Baytwelvers, while I keep on daydreaming.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: January 09, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »

Of course, some of the forgotten beasts occupying worldgen fortresses will be comically weak.

Maybe there is some sort of combat test that avoids it in world gen? This leads to the question:

Forgotten Beasts and Megabeasts will always win or can they be defeated or beaten back by the defenders? Their strenght plays a part in these attacks or is it random?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »

BEST DEVLOG EVER

What are you talking about? This one is already an start scenario!

What is best in Toady's stories about what happen in his tests are that there is none or very little invention there... everything was generated by the game.

My eagerness for the next version is officially unbearable.

Actually, if your civ has no ruler at game start, will you still get one if you get a fort up that far? I'm not greening it just yet since I'm sure somebody knows.

As far as my start scenario comment, I meant something more explicit in a "we need a monarch" attitude from the outset, particularly a "reclaim this site to stake your claim to nobility" thing, in both fort and adventure mode. I'm pretty sure all of that fluff is pulled from Legends, and you wouldn't realize how epic the scale of such a reclaim is if you didn't go through Legends first.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:28 pm »

Maybe, I don't know how that combat is handled, if is still basically the same then yes, but on the dev log all creatures sounded pretty solid (and we had no less than 3 dragons!).

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: January 09, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »

It looks to me like Toady enabled megabeasts to launch army style combat rather than attacks targeted at single historical figures.  AKA the old system of a dragon sneaking in, breaking one dwarf's leg, and then leaving.  Now it looks like we'll get the legends entry with the battle description where it will be like "A: 1 dragon, 0 losses/D: 120 Dwarfs, led by Urist Mcgeneral, 105 losses" and a description of all the duels that happened.

In regards to how combat works in worldgen, it takes skills, size, and maybe attributes into account, but nothing else as far as I know.  So a forgotten beast made of snow is almost exactly the same as one made of diamond.  That is, until it gets loaded into play and a hunter one-shots it with a copper arrow.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 748