Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806451 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8610 on: January 08, 2014, 11:47:16 am »

Quote from: Toady One 1/8/14 devlog
Today seemed like a good day to finish reclaiming forts that happened to become ruined in world generation, so that's working in the game now.

So we can now reclaim ruined NPC forts? Awesome! Although, what about the fact that such sites are usually larger than the 16x16 max embark and aren't always centered inside the embark?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8611 on: January 08, 2014, 11:57:15 am »

Today seemed like a good day to finish reclaiming forts that happened to become ruined in world generation, so that's working in the game now.

So we can now reclaim ruined NPC forts? Awesome! Although, what about the fact that such sites are usually larger than the 16x16 max embark and aren't always centered inside the embark?
You're thinking the hill and deep sites. The forts are 3x3, at least according to the export images from a while back.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8612 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:10 pm »

You're thinking the hill and deep sites. The forts are 3x3, at least according to the export images from a while back.

Ah, so the dwarves can now build forts similar to (in function, if not appearance) the human forts? I didn't see the export images from a while back.

Are the elves and goblins going to build forts as well?  The ones goblins make are probably similar to humans, but I can see the elves forts looking more like a frontier fort made of wood.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8613 on: January 08, 2014, 12:47:31 pm »

Ah, so the dwarves can now build forts similar to (in function, if not appearance) the human forts? I didn't see the export images from a while back.

Are the elves and goblins going to build forts as well?  The ones goblins make are probably similar to humans, but I can see the elves forts looking more like a frontier fort made of wood.

Well, not exactly - the dwarf forts are the same forts we are building in fortress mode (except we get fancier with our ideas). It's highly unlikely that elves and goblins get anything in that direction - they're not playable by default, and so do not need the equivalent of a playable site.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8614 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:24 pm »

Well, if there is a tag that sets the entity to be able to build such sites, then it could be modded. It would be odd for the elves to have dwarven style forts though.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8615 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:09 pm »

I expect (but hope to be proven wrong) that the hillock/deep site/fortress divide will be hardcoded for the dwarf site tag for now.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8616 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »

There's no way to hardcode site assignments right now AFAIK. I'm assuming that CAVE_DETAILED will imply hill sites and deep sites.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8617 on: January 08, 2014, 03:18:32 pm »

There's no way to hardcode site assignments right now AFAIK. I'm assuming that CAVE_DETAILED will imply hill sites and deep sites.
That's exactly what I'm meaning. That's hardcoding the divide into CAVE_DETAILED, aka the dwarf site tag.

Edit - well, almost exactly, if you mean that the "implied sites" could be separate tags (which is what I'm hoping for).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:21:18 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8618 on: January 09, 2014, 08:31:18 am »

The latest blog update should make some people happy.
At least one!

Calling dibs on late January/early February release.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8619 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:22 am »

Where??? Blog??
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8620 on: January 09, 2014, 10:38:55 am »

Where??? Blog??
I think Dark's still talking about yesterday's devlog.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8621 on: January 09, 2014, 10:45:48 am »

Are drawbridges and caveins causing absolute obliteration of whatever it caught in it intended behavior or is this a placeholder until you figure out a way to handle such occurrences in a more sensible manner?
A lot of things don't work as expected, but for game (and testing) purposes turn into inadverted features, like quantum stockpiling. Drawbridges don't affect giant creatures, so it has been adressed to at least do that, and maybe caveins will be less lethal (or do damage based on material strenght) as soon as we have other ways to deal with the nastier creatures the game has to offer. But it's just a guess, maybe Toady has other plans for caveins in particular.
No, i mean the portion where it erases whatever it crushes out of existence. The lethality seems fine, could possibly use some tweaking for survivability, but it'd be nice if crushed items were at least damaged, and then turned to relevant material rubble when destroyed. That's a bit suggestion-y though, so that is why i inquired what changes he was planning to make to crushing mechanic, if any.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8622 on: January 09, 2014, 11:28:14 am »

No, i mean the portion where it erases whatever it crushes out of existence. The lethality seems fine, could possibly use some tweaking for survivability, but it'd be nice if crushed items were at least damaged, and then turned to relevant material rubble when destroyed. That's a bit suggestion-y though, so that is why i inquired what changes he was planning to make to crushing mechanic, if any.
[/quote]

Oh, right, got you now. Well, item clouds are now a thing, maybe there's a small chance to get vaporized stuff underneath a drawbridge instead of nothing. But cave-ins are another issue, last time I checked (which was a few months ago) cave-ins don't obliterate everything in their path, just blow it away with sheer force. Unless what's falling down happens to be a whole set of walls, which play a similar role as drawbridges.

... But right, Toady hasn't said anything about changing crush and cave-in mechanics, we would've noticed, unlikely as it is to have new features in the short term.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8623 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:49 am »

Where??? Blog??

Well I'm sorry, but timezones are not an exact science.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8624 on: January 09, 2014, 11:56:11 am »

Where??? Blog??

Well I'm sorry, but timezones are not an exact science.
Well, technically... :P (I didn't mean it as an accusation, just an explanation)
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 573 574 [575] 576 577 ... 748