Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806448 times)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8595 on: January 06, 2014, 01:09:01 pm »

So, I was reading the most recent FOTF answers, and this one in particular caught my eye:
Quote from: Thundercraft
When it comes time for magical artifacts, if their creation actually was inspired by a god, then will the item description mention this fact or even the name of the deity?

It's difficult to say what's going to happen there.  That said, the new demon sites have a slight touch of that in the next release, on a whim.
Anyone care to speculate on what this could mean? :D

Maybe the Demon sites will have random artifacts in them?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: January 06, 2014, 01:10:10 pm »

So, I was reading the most recent FOTF answers, and this one in particular caught my eye:
Quote from: Thundercraft
When it comes time for magical artifacts, if their creation actually was inspired by a god, then will the item description mention this fact or even the name of the deity?

It's difficult to say what's going to happen there.  That said, the new demon sites have a slight touch of that in the next release, on a whim.
Anyone care to speculate on what this could mean? :D

Spoiler: my guess (click to show/hide)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: January 06, 2014, 03:32:48 pm »

That last dev log, must have been one of the most awesome I have ever read here. This.. this game, no matter where you look, even if you only glance it a few moments, a few short paragraphs, it constantly gives you enough material to a whole series of books, now think it does that every day on thousands of computers all over the world!!!!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: January 06, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »

Toady, when you say the bumblebee came to visit thomod in world gen, just what does that mean? I'm not aware of deities interacting with necromancers after giving them the secrets in the current version, so what is this new behavior?

Additionally, will accusing vampires of being night creatures still result in an immediately lethal fight, and will peasants in the home still take part?

If we get caught sucking someone's blood and a witness escapes, will it immediately result in the civilization exiling us on pain of death or just start a rumor about us?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:09 pm »

Toady, when you say the bumblebee came to visit thomod in world gen, just what does that mean? I'm not aware of deities interacting with necromancers after giving them the secrets in the current version, so what is this new behavior?

The last two sentences were before the rest of the paragraph. Thomod had a family until Ume gave her the Secrets of Life and Death ("the bumblebee called").

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: January 06, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »

Fine. If this is just the bugtesting, we could get the release tomorrow (or rather, once an impending overload of work is completed in a week or two) and enjoy the bugs.

Bugs can be features. Bugs can be art. It is nice to have releases stored for all eternity on the internets, so we can proudly point to the one where you can get a surface HFS fort, or have a massive 10,000z tall space elevator.

Have you considered modelling air pressure in Dwarf Fortress, so we could have mountains that would be difficult to climb because of the lack of oxygen?

I don't think this would be too hard. It would just mean air-breathing creatures would gradually run out of oxygen at high altitudes, and there would be warning messages in adventure mode. It would also provide new trap options for dealing with goblins.

Edit:

The last two sentences were before the rest of the paragraph. Thomod had a family until Ume gave her the Secrets of Life and Death ("the bumblebee called").

I was wondering whether the God suddenly materialises as a unit in either physical form or spirit form or other etheral form, and gives the tablet to the person, or does the tablet just drop out of the sky?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 04:16:30 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: January 06, 2014, 04:28:23 pm »

I was wondering whether the God suddenly materialises as a unit in either physical form or spirit form or other etheral form, and gives the tablet to the person, or does the tablet just drop out of the sky?
Unless this is another one of the surprises that kind of thing is still an abstracted process in world gen, and not something that has any physical mechanic associated with it.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8602 on: January 06, 2014, 04:50:05 pm »

Are drawbridges and caveins causing absolute obliteration of whatever it caught in it intended behavior or is this a placeholder until you figure out a way to handle such occurrences in a more sensible manner?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: January 06, 2014, 05:36:52 pm »

Have you considered modelling air pressure in Dwarf Fortress, so we could have mountains that would be difficult to climb because of the lack of oxygen?

I don't think this would be too hard. It would just mean air-breathing creatures would gradually run out of oxygen at high altitudes, and there would be warning messages in adventure mode. It would also provide new trap options for dealing with goblins.

Suggestions go in the Suggestions forum, which already has a number of threads on the topic.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: January 06, 2014, 07:34:20 pm »

It feels like some kind of limbo being fed these amazing tidbits about the new version.  "the strange childhood coincidence of having younger siblings gobbled up by different werebuffalo in the same year" ...   :o  ... ... Hey, my younger brother was eaten by a werebuffalo in year 158.  158 you say?  Werebuffalo?  Why, mine brother too!  Ye, we should marry.

Also, I like how Toady said the new version would be a much more reasonable place to punch a horse in, yet livestock seem to now be the catalysts of much more horrific developments than the lynching of a fist happy adventurer.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: January 06, 2014, 10:25:39 pm »

Are drawbridges and caveins causing absolute obliteration of whatever it caught in it intended behavior or is this a placeholder until you figure out a way to handle such occurrences in a more sensible manner?

A lot of things don't work as expected, but for game (and testing) purposes turn into inadverted features, like quantum stockpiling. Drawbridges don't affect giant creatures, so it has been adressed to at least do that, and maybe caveins will be less lethal (or do damage based on material strenght) as soon as we have other ways to deal with the nastier creatures the game has to offer. But it's just a guess, maybe Toady has other plans for caveins in particular.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Nicolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: January 07, 2014, 01:16:42 am »

Hi Toady,

We know that marriage, position succession and pregnancy will continue in worldgen in the upcoming release. What about other aspects of worldgen - will temples continue to be defiled? Will monarchs suddenly start to obsess over their mortality?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 01:36:17 am by Nicolo »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: January 07, 2014, 04:02:47 am »

Hi Toady,

We know that marriage, position succession and pregnancy will continue in worldgen in the upcoming release. What about other aspects of worldgen - will temples continue to be defiled? Will monarchs suddenly start to obsess over their mortality?

No, not this time. I can't bother to search for a quote, but you can find it in the last reply from Toady.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: January 07, 2014, 05:29:01 pm »

After today's update post on the main development page an (probably already suggested!) idea hit me, but in the rare chance that it hasn't been mentioned, or isn't already planned:

Since the detailed history/legend pages are so epic, wouldn't it be amazing if we could view these pages in-game during fort or adventure mode? As in you come across a random dwarf living in a cave and you can examine him and view his Legends page from there..

I've saved/quit out of a game on certain occasions just to look a person up in worldgen before interacting with them, or when they arrive at the fort :> This would make it much more friendly for storytelling purposes (and this is, after all, an interactive story generator ;)   )
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:34:30 pm by dwarf_reform »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »

I need a devlog... I'm holding out for a devlog til the morning light

Since the detailed history/legend pages are so epic, wouldn't it be amazing if we could view these pages in-game during fort or adventure mode? As in you come across a random dwarf living in a cave and you can examine him and view his Legends page from there..

Suggestions go in the Suggestions forum, where this already has at least a couple threads:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22356.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=52287.0
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:52:19 pm by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 748