Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3805936 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8445 on: December 24, 2013, 05:48:25 pm »

You know what I'm looking forward to?
The background map on the main Bay12 page, when it shows all those little provinces everywhere.
Ooh, that sounds like fun...
It would be cool, but those images haven't been updated since the revamp of the site. What has been updated are the screenshot and feature portions of the site.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: December 24, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

If it dont fit it dont grow, sounds like.

Tunnels are normally one wide, yes?

Usually, yes, but it wasn't really specified.

Even if that bug still exists, the fact that they don't or can't grow in one tile wide tunnels will help some against the annoyance of the bug itself.

There will be many bugs that no longer exist (the loyalty cascade one might not even exist anymore, or mutate into some other form), bugs that are still around, but different, and entirely new ones.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: December 25, 2013, 09:27:02 am »

I know it's not the right thread, but merry Christmas for everyone here, specially Toady and Three Toe!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TastyMints

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:love of murder]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:13 am »

Bold added for clarity:

We'd considered the ability to tie people up and place them places, since that comes up with tracks, but ended up not having done it up to this point.

I haven't gotten to more-peaceful-than-total-destruction occupations yet, so it doesn't really handle the long term meaning of the camp yet.  I imagine they won't need to stay long if they are raiding or destroying...  perhaps just long enough for you to get word and follow their signs, in terms of the game.  But once we have occupation, the raiders won't need to stay unrealistically long.  Occupations are definately going in this time, along with various prisoner issues, since it'll be fun to adventure around those sorts of antics.  These can be post-world-gen wars.  There aren't separate snatcher squads yet.

Yeah, we want to get to that -- we were going to start by having you talk to refugees, rescued captives and people you capture.  I'm not sure we'll be able to get to capturing people or not, but we should have the other stuff.  We also wanted people hunting you to do collective punishment when they are hunting you, and I imagine that'd have some interrogation to direct them to you if they've talked to you recently.

Because of the inclusion of Non-lethal combat and the above remarks that were made I am curious as to how non-lethal combat will affect the game world on a long term timeline. Will we possibly see the inclusion of the above mentioned method of restraining individuals and making them a prisoner? Will entities and associated adventurers have access to jails, prisons, and/or dungeons for storing restrained individuals?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:56:16 am by TastyMints »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: December 25, 2013, 12:05:31 pm »

...yes? Just not at this point.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: December 25, 2013, 08:22:44 pm »

Yea. ToadyOne made talk about arresting folks, putting them in jail, being tracked, then arrested and being put in jail (and of course trying to escape from jail).

Thats tied to the Justice and Thief player roles.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:48 pm »

I think Toady One also said that you can force someone to guide you (though an unwilling guide could lead you into a trap instead). Though just how much physical or psychological force that would entail is unknown.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: December 25, 2013, 09:22:14 pm »

Is there/ will there be an option to "fire and forget" minecarts? The hauling menu is... difficult for me, as I can't remember how I ever got it working, and that was before not playing for a few months. I had a "railgun" built in my fort that only gathered dust- a single-way tile (East Only) followed by a windmill-power Roller and a long section of East/West track. It was never meant to carry anything but a militant dwarf into combat, but I couldn't get this to work.

I'm sure it's probably just stupidity on my part, but I can't figure out how to assign a cart either. I don't want constant hauling, and while I -guess- I could fill it with rocks instead of angry dwarves, I want the whole cart to follow through on the joyride.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: December 26, 2013, 12:09:22 am »

Is there/ will there be an option to "fire and forget" minecarts? The hauling menu is... difficult for me, as I can't remember how I ever got it working, and that was before not playing for a few months. I had a "railgun" built in my fort that only gathered dust- a single-way tile (East Only) followed by a windmill-power Roller and a long section of East/West track. It was never meant to carry anything but a militant dwarf into combat, but I couldn't get this to work.

I'm sure it's probably just stupidity on my part, but I can't figure out how to assign a cart either. I don't want constant hauling, and while I -guess- I could fill it with rocks instead of angry dwarves, I want the whole cart to follow through on the joyride.

The purpose of the thread is to discuss current developments.  Specific bugs should be reported on the bug tracker, and specific suggestions belong for the most part in the suggestion forum.

There's also Gameplay Questions.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: December 26, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

Question:

There has been a bug (or several) for many years that ends up preventing marksdwarves and hunters from picking up ammo.  It's either related to ammo in bins, or whatever else - getting rid of ammo bins in my latest fort hasn't helped.  It happens to me personally in every fort I build - I can never use marksdwarves.

Are there any plans to fix this extremely frustrating bug, or perhaps introduce a workaround such as allowing manual assignation of bolts via the uniform/equip screen like most other military items?

I realize that there is a bug report section and all that, but this is a bug that is many years old, and I don't think reporting it again would matter much.  Please don't let it go another 2 years :(
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 05:08:52 pm by nukularpower »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8455 on: December 26, 2013, 05:14:54 pm »

Question:

There has been a bug (or several) for many years that ends up preventing marksdwarves and hunters from picking up ammo.  It's either related to ammo in bins, or whatever else - getting rid of ammo bins in my latest fort hasn't helped.  It happens to me personally in every fort I build - I can never use marksdwarves.

Are there any plans to fix this extremely frustrating bug, or perhaps introduce a workaround such as allowing manual assignation of bolts via the uniform/equip screen like most other military items?

I realize that there is a bug report section and all that, but this is a bug that is many years old, and I don't think reporting it again would matter much.  Please don't let it go another 2 years :(

The plan is obviously to fix all bugs eventually. As for whether this one will make the cut for the bug-fixing release, I doubt Toady would know that yet, since he's still got the current release to worry about. We'll just have to wait and see when we get to it. One can hope that this is somehow job priority related, since it'd then hopefully be solved when Toady gets to that rewrite, which is planned to be included in the post-release work.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: December 26, 2013, 05:15:24 pm »

Question:

The answer is yes, but no time line.

It wont be happening in this release, as ToadyOne didnt really touch the military or item handling for fort mode.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: December 26, 2013, 06:35:08 pm »

Question:

Bug reports go on the bug tracker, where there are many reports about ammo issues.  You can help by uploading current-version saves demonstrating specific problems (for reports that don't have them already).  That'll be much more productive than posting a green "question".
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:37:26 pm by Footkerchief »

Svankensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: December 26, 2013, 07:39:39 pm »

I got a new laptop for christmas, i hope that in less than a year i can start invading other laptops with my dwarves. I have this friend of mine that has always loved to hear my DF stories thats really excited with the latest developments, i believe that the next release might just be enough to get him to play.

Feature Request: Have your fortress lay siegue to another players fortress  :P.
Man that would be cool, but the overhaul the game would need would prolly be tremendous.

2016: 24 hour DF matches held in Korea just like with Starcraft. I imagine Pros sending reinforcements to the siegue, rushing deep for adamantite to get an edge, or the armies meeting halfway, or all that cool stuff that will happen in fortress mode on the next release. Man, i wouldnt watch 24 hours of someone playing DF, nor is there a comentator that can live up to that challenge, but the highlights would be so cool.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: December 26, 2013, 07:44:42 pm »

I got a new laptop for christmas, i hope that in less than a year i can start invading other laptops with my dwarves. I have this friend of mine that has always loved to hear my DF stories thats really excited with the latest developments, i believe that the next release might just be enough to get him to play.

Feature Request: Have your fortress lay siegue to another players fortress  :P.
Man that would be cool, but the overhaul the game would need would prolly be tremendous.

2016: 24 hour DF matches held in Korea just like with Starcraft. I imagine Pros sending reinforcements to the siegue, rushing deep for adamantite to get an edge, or the armies meeting halfway, or all that cool stuff that will happen in fortress mode on the next release. Man, i wouldnt watch 24 hours of someone playing DF, nor is there a comentator that can live up to that challenge, but the highlights would be so cool.

Feature requests go in the Suggestions forum, this particular one has been discussed quote a bit already. Also, IF this were somehow to make it in at some point, I'd put it at closer to 2036 than 2016 ;P
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 748