Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806199 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8400 on: December 19, 2013, 06:49:12 pm »

Do the caravans now bring us news about the surrounding area?

With the length of time the release has taken so far, I don't think it matters if Toady implements refugees moving through our fortress now.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8401 on: December 19, 2013, 06:58:38 pm »

Will merfolk ever show more signs of sentience in future releases such as small tribes/clans or kingdoms that trade or war with landwellers? And would their ever be anything like the selkies from Ireland?

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8402 on: December 19, 2013, 07:37:27 pm »

Will merfolk ever show more signs of sentience in future releases such as small tribes/clans or kingdoms that trade or war with landwellers? And would their ever be anything like the selkies from Ireland?

As soon as Toady begins to mess with meaningful stuff to do at the sea (see: ships and navigation) then I'm pretty sure that sea dwellers are going to have a huge overhaul. Right now, sea titans have no shrines (surely no worshippers as well) and that could change as soon as we get there, given that animal people worshipping is up too to that point.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8403 on: December 19, 2013, 10:17:48 pm »

Daily devlog and Footkerchief smiting questions left and right?  Ahh, just like the old days.   :)
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8404 on: December 20, 2013, 08:15:27 am »

Do the caravans now bring us news about the surrounding area?

With the length of time the release has taken so far, I don't think it matters if Toady implements refugees moving through our fortress now.

He pretty much said in the 12/19 devlog that we would hear news from the caravans.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8405 on: December 20, 2013, 11:16:34 am »

You know what I'm looking forward to?
The background map on the main Bay12 page, when it shows all those little provinces everywhere.

Pretty sure those are all made with the current version.

Edit: they're from v0.31.01.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 11:25:08 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #8406 on: December 20, 2013, 04:16:30 pm »

Quote from: Toady One, in devlogs
They could just as easily have chosen an active player fort, and that'll really matter around the time we get to the player-controlled inns and taverns. Right now you'll probably just hear about any nearby camps from the caravan.
I have a feeling this may have been asked (but no time right now to dig into the thread, I apologize), but... Will refugee camps share any common framework(s) with hill dwarf sites as far as relating to and communicating with your fortress? (Obviously the content of the relationship and many of the actions you could take with it will be vastly different, but inasmuch as they're both nearby sites that will affect fort mode, I'm curious if they're on the same foundation somewhere down underneath.)
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8407 on: December 20, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »

Quote from: Toady One, in devlogs
They could just as easily have chosen an active player fort, and that'll really matter around the time we get to the player-controlled inns and taverns. Right now you'll probably just hear about any nearby camps from the caravan.
I have a feeling this may have been asked (but no time right now to dig into the thread, I apologize), but... Will refugee camps share any common framework(s) with hill dwarf sites as far as relating to and communicating with your fortress? (Obviously the content of the relationship and many of the actions you could take with it will be vastly different, but inasmuch as they're both nearby sites that will affect fort mode, I'm curious if they're on the same foundation somewhere down underneath.)

Camps are also sites, and they presumably belong to a parent civ like hill dwarf sites, so that implies a ton of commonality.  Once you can meaningfully communicate at all, your choice of recipient will probably be limited only by where the messenger's willing to go.

PigtailLlama

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8408 on: December 20, 2013, 06:43:18 pm »

With refugee camps settling near forts, would that mean that now there is a chance that the thieves encountered in fortress mode could be members of this camp trying to feed his/her family? Can we send an army to make the camp move elsewhere by force if problems from it continue to persist?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8409 on: December 20, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »

With refugee camps settling near forts, would that mean that now there is a chance that the thieves encountered in fortress mode could be members of this camp trying to feed his/her family? Can we send an army to make the camp move elsewhere by force if problems from it continue to persist?
Armies aren't being touched yet, and I believe that kobolds are still the primary thieves.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8410 on: December 21, 2013, 12:53:18 am »

Armies aren't being touched yet, and I believe that kobolds are still the primary thieves.

Yeah, you can't send any kind of armies out.  Thieving hasn't changed that we've heard -- it still depends on the ITEM_THIEF entity tag, not on more complex motivations like feeding one's family.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8411 on: December 21, 2013, 09:49:50 am »

Two quick, unrelated questions.

1. How were goblins running away from themselves?
2. Do you have any plans to do something with the refugees on the fringes of dwarven settlements and the like before the next update?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8412 on: December 21, 2013, 10:22:17 am »

Two quick, unrelated questions.

1. How were goblins running away from themselves?
2. Do you have any plans to do something with the refugees on the fringes of dwarven settlements and the like before the next update?

Greened them for ya, I'm also curious on what was up with the goblins.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8413 on: December 21, 2013, 11:04:26 am »

Do something like what? 

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8414 on: December 21, 2013, 11:49:47 am »

Giving them stuff to do: Goals, schedules, everyday activities... The works.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 559 560 [561] 562 563 ... 748